Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 03:03 PM

68 posts, read 272,322 times

Advertisements

Did you ask Julie in the sales office about it? We spoke with her a lot about the homes in your subdivision and she was helpful -- of course that was when we were interested in buying.

I'm also wondering about the home being appraised. Does an appraiser who is hired for mortgaging reasons need to see inside the house. Our home is being appraised soon and I'm not sure he's going inside. This sounds silly as I am writing it, but I've learned never to assume anything when buying and selling!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 03:05 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,693,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colby1911 View Post
Did you ask Julie in the sales office about it? We spoke with her a lot about the homes in your subdivision and she was helpful -- of course that was when we were interested in buying.

I'm also wondering about the home being appraised. Does an appraiser who is hired for mortgaging reasons need to see inside the house. Our home is being appraised soon and I'm not sure he's going inside. This sounds silly as I am writing it, but I've learned never to assume anything when buying and selling!
Yes, they should see the inside of the home. Some homes have formica, some have granite. Big difference in price.

Old 05-21-2007, 03:39 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,006,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colby1911 View Post
Did you ask Julie in the sales office about it?
She was the one representing our builder at our closing. She was the one who told us the sq footage listed on the builders web site was incorrect.

Old 05-21-2007, 04:25 PM

129 posts, read 566,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
We did have a realtor but we bought new through a property group and they negotiated for the builder. MLS listing stated 3300 sq'. I brought it up at the closing with the property group, the closing attorneys and our realtor was there. All said that the home was indeed 3300 sq' and pulled out the floor plan sheet (copy on 8x10 sheet of paper) which stated 3300. They said the builder had it listed wrong on their web site. Closed and thought nothing of it until recently. this house was supposed to originally have a finished attic which would have brought that up to 3300 sq' I have a call into our realtor we used.
The person listing it in MLS has the responsiblility to verify the sq footage. Most agents should know a 600 sq' difference on a house this size. A 7000 sq' is a tad different, but that is not the case here. Your lender should have had an appraiser more so then a drive by if that occured. As someone stated how do they know the interior and what features it had. As for your realtor, yes they should have questioned it as well, but it was not their ultimate responsiblility.
It is possible that is the very thing that occured...the 3rd floor not finished. We had that occur in our home, the bonus got completed and was not intended to be done at 1st. Our benefit at this point. So our tax footage is incorrect.
Your closing attorney will now act like they don't know what you are talking about. Sad but probably true.
Your recourse is most likely be the property group and their MLS licensed agent.

Old 05-21-2007, 04:46 PM

997 posts, read 4,644,378 times
Never go by tax records. They are not always right. When you refinance, the appraiser will measure. Their measurements should be pretty accurate. I would wait for the appraisal and go from there.

I agree with Linda. Since your home was listed in the MLS, it seems to me the person who entered the information should be held accountable if there is in fact an error. If plans changed along the way, it seems that the square footage should have been updated in the MLS. You are responsible for what you enter into the MLS.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:29 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,755,369 times
CAKD,
ouch! what a pain for you!!!

I remember my NC realtor saying that if she misrepresents the size of a house in MLS she could get sued. (The topic came up when we were measuring bedroom sizes on a house that had not listed the sizes in mls yet.)

I think the West Coast states have problems and issues just like everywhere else. But IMHO California rocks when it comes to consumer protection laws. Oregon follows CA's real estate laws which have good protection for the buyer. The NC contract made me sweat bullets.

Good luck sorting it all out! Keep us posted with what you found out. It might help someone else down the road!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina