Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2008, 09:13 AM

4 posts, read 20,787 times

Advertisements

Good morning!

I have a situation in which a Seller client of my company who is a licensed Real Estate broker wants a referral fee for the properties we have listed for them. The Seller said they believe it is a law that we have to pay them a referral and I'm trying to find out if this is true. I have searched the internet and the thing I have found seem to indicate that as long as the referral fee is paid to a licensed broker, they don't care and it's between the company and the broker. Does anyone have anything to add to this or can you shed some more light on the subject?

Thanks!

Angel1of4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 10:01 AM

217 posts, read 1,117,634 times
Are you an agent? I am very familiar with agents/referral fees but I'm not sure I understand the situation. I'm gathering you are an agent and you have listed some properties for some clients who also happen to be licensed agents? You would have to agree to pay them a referral fee. It sounds as if you don't agree to pay the referral fee then they would probably pull the listings from you (I'm guessing) and have someone list them who will pay the referral fee. It's my understanding you have to be a licensed agent to get or pay referral fees.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:38 AM

Thank you for replying. No, they won't pull the listings from us but they believe that we are required by law to pay them a referral fee. It's a little confusing to me too but I think my question is, if you list property for a licensed broker are you required by law to pay them a referral fee?

Thanks again for your help!

Angel1of4

Old 06-27-2008, 07:42 AM

217 posts, read 1,117,634 times
No, it is my understanding you are in no way obligated to pay them a referral fee. I would contact your local Board of Realtors to verify. This person should have made it clear he/she expected a referral fee before the properties were listed. There must be an agreement for referral fees to work. There is no law that requires them (that I'm aware of).

Old 06-27-2008, 07:47 AM

35 posts, read 146,516 times
Oyster07 is correct, I came across this same situation a few months ago. You are not required to pay the referral fee unless you both agreed to the fee prior to taking the listings. With that said....it also should be in writing that you both agreed to the referral fee because the fee itself should be agreed upon. You are not required by law to pay it without agreed to it first. Good luck!! ~ Gina

Old 06-28-2008, 07:02 AM

Thanks, Oyster07 and ginasellshomes! That's the information I am looking for.

Old 06-28-2008, 03:32 PM

1,681 posts, read 6,029,802 times
I had a similiar situation recently too.
Nothing is automatic-Everything must be mutually agreed upon and in writing.
Bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina