Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2010, 11:31 PM

131 posts, read 232,539 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all---I haven't visited since I exhausted all my benes. Had hoped this board would have dried up due to everyone finding jobs...no such luck. I still haven't found a job, either. Applied at a Dunkin Donuts....no luck. I did get a call out of the blue regarding a job I applied for back in May...got an interview...I swear if I hear I'm overqualified ONE MORE TIME I may go postal! If I'm so darned qualified, why have I been unable to find work for a year and 10 months??!! The guy says he wants someone longterm so he avoids hiring someone he suspects will leave for something higher paying or with better benefits than he can offer. I nearly broke down & cried right there in front of the entire office. I'm still searching, still applying, but at this point, I'm beginning to feel defeated. Does anyone have any suggestions for a polite counter comment when the over qualified line comes up? (Trust me, I have thoughts in my head, but none of them are polite!) Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks & much luck to all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 07:07 AM

177 posts, read 304,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerest View Post
Hey y'all---I haven't visited since I exhausted all my benes. Had hoped this board would have dried up due to everyone finding jobs...no such luck. I still haven't found a job, either. Applied at a Dunkin Donuts....no luck. I did get a call out of the blue regarding a job I applied for back in May...got an interview...I swear if I hear I'm overqualified ONE MORE TIME I may go postal! If I'm so darned qualified, why have I been unable to find work for a year and 10 months??!! The guy says he wants someone longterm so he avoids hiring someone he suspects will leave for something higher paying or with better benefits than he can offer. I nearly broke down & cried right there in front of the entire office. I'm still searching, still applying, but at this point, I'm beginning to feel defeated. Does anyone have any suggestions for a polite counter comment when the over qualified line comes up? (Trust me, I have thoughts in my head, but none of them are polite!) Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks & much luck to all!
I have been on here since page 7. My benes too are gone...all used up! At least I was able to draw through all the tiers except EB. I have followed your posts. I am so sorry things are still not going well for you. Here is a suggestion... lie on your next application. Make a dummy resume that shows you much less qualified than you are.

Now, let me say this: I loathe lying. But in this case you are not trying to get something you are not qualified for or entitled to. You are trying to survive and will actually bring MORE to the table. The lie will ultimately benefit the company more than you.

Good Luck to you!

Old 07-14-2010, 11:05 AM

3 posts, read 4,834 times
Default wish they could make this whole process clearer

I have tried calling the ESC office and of course can't seem to get any of the more knowledgeable employees on the phone - everyone I get seems to be tired of the questions I am asking and I can't say I blame them since they probably hear them all day long....The worst part for me is I am a licensed attorney and still can't understand all these rules so I imagine some of the employees at ESC don't know the answers either

Benefit year 1 began April 2009 but I did not begin collecting benefits until June 2009 due to the fact that my unemployment was due to the illness of a minor child...I collected my 26 weeks and began collecting Tier 1 benefits...Benefit year 2 began April 2010 while I still had (by my estimations) 9 weeks remaining of Tier 1 benefits...I have collected my final week of Benefit year 2 this week and am trying to determine my eligibility for additional benefits next week...

I called and they ran the N1 BIE for me and when I login to my account online it now has the fields for EB but they are blank...no yes or no for eligibility...no amounts in either field...

I know I have to probably sit and wait and see what happens once I file my weekly certification on Sunday but I thought I would ask if there is anyway to determine prior to that whether I will receive benefits next week...Do the unused Tier 1 benefits automatically pull forward and begin disbursing or do I need to take steps to ensure that they do...I know the qualifications for EB are slightly more complicated but I can't believe neither person I got on the phone at ESC could tell me whether my unused Tier 1 benefits from Benefit year 1 would "pull-forward"

Any information you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:18 PM

131 posts, read 232,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jskin View Post
I have been on here since page 7. My benes too are gone...all used up! At least I was able to draw through all the tiers except EB. I have followed your posts. I am so sorry things are still not going well for you. Here is a suggestion... lie on your next application. Make a dummy resume that shows you much less qualified than you are.

Now, let me say this: I loathe lying. But in this case you are not trying to get something you are not qualified for or entitled to. You are trying to survive and will actually bring MORE to the table. The lie will ultimately benefit the company more than you.

Good Luck to you!
Sorry to hear you are in the same boat as I...it sucks! And yes, I loathe lying, too, but actually revised my resume a long time ago & left a lot of my experience off for the reasons you cite. I guess I should "dummy it up" even further! I fear, that may have the opposite effect though. I got an actual reply from the interview I mentioned just within the last hour, stating they had decided to "go in another direction" and that my services would not be needed at this time. I have no doubt that the direction was younger, svelt bodied, dumber w/no gray hair!

At the risk of sounding like a political activist here, I see that the UE filing extension has still not passed legislation. People...PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE vote in November. This Congress does not serve the best interest of this country. They have approved shipping jobs overseas, financed 2 wars that probably shouldn't have happened at all, bailed out Wall St. and the banking industry, all the while these entities continue to dole out huge, million dollar bonuses to top execs (rewarded failure), bailed out the auto industry, sent relief to Haiti and Spain (or was it Greece?), taken money from big oil and yet even though there is unused stimulus money remaining that could finance add'l UE benes for those who have lost their livlihood in large part due to the irresponsible actions of these lawmakers, they all of the sudden decide to use the deficit as an excuse not to pass legislation extending UE filing deadlines. Mind you...this unused stimulus $$ has already been allocated, so utilizing it would not deepen the deficit...it would just be utilizing funds ALREADY set aside! A-N-D----because so many folks like me have exhausted all benefits & no longer being counted, they stupidly think that since UE#s are lower, that the jobs market has improved so no add'l tiers/help is warranted! Either they are incredibly dumb, or they are depending on Americans to be this dumb. A-N-D---- all of the sudden their conscience over the deficit will take leave long enough to extend the Bush tax breaks to the wealthy!!!!! PEOPLE PLEASE....take the time to research our NC representatives in DC...their voting records & positions on issues. Exercise your right to vote in November. If every person getting or having exhausted UE benes would vote accordingly, we COULD make a difference. We are a LARGE segment of the voting population...sad but true. We have more POWER than most realize. Use it! Thank you!

Last edited by deerest; 07-14-2010 at 12:33 PM..

Old 07-14-2010, 01:13 PM

7 posts, read 10,777 times
Default Confused

I was laid off Dec 21st 2009. I filed a claim and did all my weekly certifications, and about 3 months later I received all my back pay and continued to get my weekly benefits until Monday July 12th 2010 and my benefits for 26 weeks were exhausted. I filed another claim on the ESC website, and now it says on the site that I am eligible for EB benefits and an amount. I know congress did not pass another extension, so I am not sure if I really will get anymore un-employment. I had no prior disqualifications. Can anyone tell me if I will indeed get an extension, and If I need to anything other than file a new claim on the ESC website like I did? I will countinue to do my weekly certifications too of course.

I apologize if this has already been answered, but I have read almost this entire thread and honestly I am very confused. I have never been un-employed no where near this long my whole life, and I have tried to take any type of job no matter what the pay is cause I cannot stand to not be working, but no one seems to be hireing at all.

Thanks.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:22 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,436,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrago View Post
I have tried calling the ESC office and of course can't seem to get any of the more knowledgeable employees on the phone - everyone I get seems to be tired of the questions I am asking and I can't say I blame them since they probably hear them all day long....The worst part for me is I am a licensed attorney and still can't understand all these rules so I imagine some of the employees at ESC don't know the answers either

Benefit year 1 began April 2009 but I did not begin collecting benefits until June 2009 due to the fact that my unemployment was due to the illness of a minor child...I collected my 26 weeks and began collecting Tier 1 benefits...Benefit year 2 began April 2010 while I still had (by my estimations) 9 weeks remaining of Tier 1 benefits...I have collected my final week of Benefit year 2 this week and am trying to determine my eligibility for additional benefits next week...

I called and they ran the N1 BIE for me and when I login to my account online it now has the fields for EB but they are blank...no yes or no for eligibility...no amounts in either field...

I know I have to probably sit and wait and see what happens once I file my weekly certification on Sunday but I thought I would ask if there is anyway to determine prior to that whether I will receive benefits next week...Do the unused Tier 1 benefits automatically pull forward and begin disbursing or do I need to take steps to ensure that they do...I know the qualifications for EB are slightly more complicated but I can't believe neither person I got on the phone at ESC could tell me whether my unused Tier 1 benefits from Benefit year 1 would "pull-forward"

Any information you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
It depends on whether you qualify for NEW extensions in your 2nd benefit year. You would need to contact someone at ESC (your local office) to find out if you meet the monetary requirements for NEW extensions. If you do, then you cannot get into NEW Tier 1 right now because Congress has not yet extended the EUC program. But you may be eligible for the EB part of your NEW extensions as long as you didn't have any disqualifications on your claim.

Now, if you don't qualify for NEW extensions in your 2nd benefit year, then you should be able to have your remaining Tier 1 EUC from your previous benefit year pulled forward. But that is programming that Raleigh runs once per week (and I think they ran it last night, supposedly) so you may have to wait for them to run the programming again next week. Hopefully it would work, but someone would have to evaluate your claim because the system will check your current benefit year to find a "monetarily ineligible" Tier 1 EUC and this is what would prompt the system to pull forward the previous EUC Tier 1 from the old benefit year.

Get in touch with either the Remote Service Center or the local office and speak with a supervisor to have your claim evaluated.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:24 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,436,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by douga12 View Post
I was laid off Dec 21st 2009. I filed a claim and did all my weekly certifications, and about 3 months later I received all my back pay and continued to get my weekly benefits until Monday July 12th 2010 and my benefits for 26 weeks were exhausted. I filed another claim on the ESC website, and now it says on the site that I am eligible for EB benefits and an amount. I know congress did not pass another extension, so I am not sure if I really will get anymore un-employment. I had no prior disqualifications. Can anyone tell me if I will indeed get an extension, and If I need to anything other than file a new claim on the ESC website like I did? I will countinue to do my weekly certifications too of course.

I apologize if this has already been answered, but I have read almost this entire thread and honestly I am very confused. I have never been un-employed no where near this long my whole life, and I have tried to take any type of job no matter what the pay is cause I cannot stand to not be working, but no one seems to be hireing at all.

Thanks.
Sounds like what you did worked to establish your EB. EB is separate from what Congress is working on and you can collect EB (if eligible) while waiting for Congress to extend the other program (EUC). I would just certify as usual next time and see if it releases a payment.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:23 PM

7 posts, read 10,777 times
Thanks jdljr.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:52 PM

25 posts, read 55,007 times
Default What constitutes a job search??

I guess this sounds like a silly question, but as a senior salaried manager, all the jobs that I would be qualified to do only allow online applications or sending of resumes. I even *tried* to walk into the corporate and the local location and drop off a resume, and you would think I was trying to give them the plague!!

I have been actively searching, but keeping track of the online process, any phone calls or responses from my applications. However, in this day of everything *online* one is sure lucky to hear ANYTHING back - no more "thank you for your application" letters!!

I have a notebook -(notebooks actually) that I have kept track of networking, chamber of commerce business fairs, online searches, etc. Is that sufficient?

Thanks for the help!

Old 07-15-2010, 07:45 AM

30 posts, read 49,863 times
I just emailed my senator (again) and urge each of you to do the same!

Senate Sets Date to Vote on Unemployment Extension: Success Depends on Byrd's Replacement

U.S. Senate: Senators Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina