Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2011, 10:37 AM

162 posts, read 213,169 times

Advertisements

She would have vetoed the budget (and still might) if there were not those in her party that say enough is enough. Then it would drag on even longer. Then again she could have done this because she knows the budget will pass with or without her support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
I dunno. I think in general, executive orders "SHOULD" be possible to contest...only because it gives Governors/Presidents a ridiculous amount of power to do whatever the heck they want. I mean, if they don't get their way, they could technically just issue executive orders for whatever they want with no say from anyone. So, I think it should be possible...hopefully it's not, and hopefully the Republicans don't put up a fight.

I got one quote from Perdue where she said she would not allow "political opponents" to use the unemployed as "pawns" any longer. She just realized this NOW!? The fact that this option to use an executive order was available the entire time, sickens me. She's governor, she had to have known she could use it. But in this case, she held back until she needed to use it politically...in this case, it was when she knew she had defectors within her own party that were going to pass the veto-proof budget.

Had there not been democrat defectors and she knew she could've vetoed this latest legislation...do any of you think she would've dragged this out even longer and not issued an executive order today? She oughta look in the mirror if she thinks it's just her opponents using the unemployed as pawns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 10:37 AM

244 posts, read 311,614 times
Why did Perdue wait 7 wks?

From press sec Chris Mackey: "She gave Republican leaders a chance to do the right thing and they didn’t. So she found another solution.”

Old 06-03-2011, 10:40 AM

118 posts, read 143,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleman73 View Post
Either way folks, something will be done for us by next week. She has "committed" herself by issuing that statement and the re pubs will have to out do her. It is a win for us I would say.
I just spoke to my local esc, and was told they had not heard anything from raliegh on the subject . was told to call back monday.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:41 AM

57 posts, read 70,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laidoffafter50 View Post
Why did Perdue wait 7 wks?

From press sec Chris Mackey: "She gave Republican leaders a chance to do the right thing and they didn’t. So she found another solution.”
Not good enough Perdue, you could have found this solution in May. For Christ sake the repub's demonstrated several times they were not going to release the stand alone bill that sat in committee since March.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lw2011 View Post
I just spoke to my local esc, and was told they had not heard anything from raliegh on the subject . was told to call back monday.
They are liars. They don't want to deal with this on a friday. Some state workers are lazy.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:42 AM

230 posts, read 275,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebnow View Post
I just called the ESC and they haven't received anything. They are waiting on a "bulletin" from her office.

The red print stating it has been EB is no longer in effect is no longer on the site.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:44 AM

169 posts, read 204,535 times
From Nesbitt's office:

Hello—

I am contacting you today because you have been in contact with either myself, Senator Martin Nesbitt, or a Democratic member of the North Carolina Senate in the past two months about the interruption of your extended unemployment benefits. As you know, your benefits ended because the Republicans who controlled the General Assembly refused to act on a standalone bill, SB 584, that would have extended the benefits using 100 percent federal funds.

This morning, Gov. Bev Perdue issued an executive order to restore the extended unemployment benefits that you had lost. As you may know, restoring these unemployment benefits means you are able to both (1) continue receiving unemployment benefits, up to week 99 of unemployment, and (2) retroactively qualify for any weekly benefits you may have qualified for but didn’t receive due to the interruption in benefits.

While I do not have any details about how the benefits you are eligible for will be distributed, I did want to share this good news with you.

I also want to encourage you to contact the North Carolina Employment Security Commission at 1-888-737-0259 or http://www.ncesc.com for any questions you might have about the unemployment benefits you may be qualified for.

Below is a copy of the news release Gov. Perdue issued announcing her executive order. I’ve also attached a copy of her executive order.

Sincerely,

Jeff

--

Jeff Giertz
Communications Director
NC Senate Democratic Caucus
(919) 715-3001 (office)
jeff.giertz@ncleg.net

Old 06-03-2011, 10:44 AM

230 posts, read 275,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcar View Post
They are liars. They don't want to deal with this on a friday. Some state workers are lazy.

It takes time to trickle down. He said he called the local office, not the central line.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaylin View Post
The red print stating it has been EB is no longer in effect is no longer on the site.
Yes it is. They just moved it off the main page. If you put your mouse on individual services, in the drop down selections it is under unemployment insurance extended benefits

Old 06-03-2011, 10:46 AM

162 posts, read 213,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcar View Post
i thought that was jut the DOT crews lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaylin View Post
gone until i logged in it will take a couple of days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina