Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2009, 10:16 AM

3 posts, read 9,727 times

Advertisements

I have a question that I can't seem to get a good answer ...any help????

I have been collecting unemployment since march 2009. I have exhausted my first 26 weeks and I am now currently collecting in my first extension ( 20 weeks) that will expire in the second week of Jan of 2010. Will I be eligible for more extensions? From what I am reading... everyone has to exhaust benefits by end of 2009 to collect any type of new extension going forward into 2010.....please clarify if you can for me! THANK YOU !!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 01:52 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,436,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cars2 View Post
Just found this site, it has some awesome information!! My benefit year ends tomorrow, I believe, last Monday when I filed my weekly certification I aslo reapplied for benefits online, I received a confirmation e-mail, does that mean my claim went through or do I need to reappy again on Monday? If so will it be flagged because I reapplied twice? Also I am currently collecting Tier 2 benefits, what are the parameters to qualify for EB? Thank you for any information you can provide.
I might be mistaken, but I thought benefit years always ended on Saturdays because the official weeks for UI are Sunday thru Saturday. If your benefit year ended last Saturday and then Monday you certified for that week and then after that went ahead and applied for a new benefit year, it should have gone through. I would confirm with a call to ESC or a visit to your local office, though, whether or not your new attempted claim went through.

To qualify for EB, you must have a "clean" claim (no disqualifications) and meet the 1.5 times rule. If you've received T1 and T2, you obviously met the 1.5 times rule, so would also be monetarily eligible for EB. Just have to make sure you have no disqualifications.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap1 View Post
once you reapply on line does your application just go behind hundreds of others? How long does it take to get reistablished? a month or more with the holidays coming I need to do it the fastest way possible which would that be? on line? in person ? etc.
also if I won my appeal why do they hold that against you? as far as Eb etc? seems if they awarded you the appeal it should follow all the way thru all the extensions. Thank you so much for this info. I would rather know now than have all this come as a big suprise.
If you reapply online, and it's simply a new benefit year and you have not had any intervening employment, it should just establish right away. The former employer would not be contacted this time (so there would be no 10-day time frame in which they'd have to respond to the form they got). Even if it was a "quit" or "termination" on your first claim, this new claim would be called a "transitional" claim and be filed as a "lack of work" since the former issue has already been taken care of.

If it were me and I was trying to get it established as quickly as possible, I would visit my local office. They'll enter the claim and it will process through overnight. If you were to do it online or on the phone and make an error, it could take weeks to fix (it goes into a held status). Also, filing your claim online or on the phone means that it is "owned" by Raleigh. Filing it in a local office means it is "owned" by that office. Sometimes having it owned by the local office allows for quicker action on certain items or issues that should come up, rather than having to wait for Raleigh to get around to it.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogerButt View Post
I have a question that I can't seem to get a good answer ...any help????

I have been collecting unemployment since march 2009. I have exhausted my first 26 weeks and I am now currently collecting in my first extension ( 20 weeks) that will expire in the second week of Jan of 2010. Will I be eligible for more extensions? From what I am reading... everyone has to exhaust benefits by end of 2009 to collect any type of new extension going forward into 2010.....please clarify if you can for me! THANK YOU !!!!
I don't want to give you wrong information, so let me try and remember to check when I go into work tomorrow and get back to you.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:12 PM

31 posts, read 89,458 times
is my local office the one in the county I live in or anyone that is nearby ?

Old 11-08-2009, 02:12 PM

6 posts, read 23,206 times
Thanks for you help jdljr!! So I guess my benefit year ended yesterday, though I did reapply last week and received an e-mail saying "This is to confirm your successful filing of a new, additional, or reopended N.C. unemployment claim. " It also states that my claim will be processed at the remote services center. Okay I just checked my benefit year ended 11/7/09. So am I safe to suffice that my new claim has been accepted? How long does it take to process this "new" claim? I mean do they have to recontact my previous employer and wait for their response etc.? Also I have no prior disqualifications so hopefully I will be eligible for EB if I can not find employment. Thanks so much for your help, as all of this is so difficult to understand.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap1 View Post
is my local office the one in the county I live in or anyone that is nearby ?
The one in your county of residence.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cars2 View Post
Thanks for you help jdljr!! So I guess my benefit year ended yesterday, though I did reapply last week and received an e-mail saying "This is to confirm your successful filing of a new, additional, or reopended N.C. unemployment claim. " It also states that my claim will be processed at the remote services center. Okay I just checked my benefit year ended 11/7/09. So am I safe to suffice that my new claim has been accepted? How long does it take to process this "new" claim? I mean do they have to recontact my previous employer and wait for their response etc.? Also I have no prior disqualifications so hopefully I will be eligible for EB if I can not find employment. Thanks so much for your help, as all of this is so difficult to understand.
I would be skeptical of having your new benefit year in place at this point, as they cannot be established until the current benefit year ends. So you essentially filed a new benefit year on the 2nd, when your existing benefit year didn't end until the 7th. I'm surprised it gave you a confirmation. By filing when you did, the system may have thought you were just reopening your existing claim, not opening a new benefit year. I would contact the remote services center by phone and ask about it, because it may have gone through, but may be in "held" status, waiting for a human to intercept it and get it rolling. I betcha it didn't open a new benefit year at all, more likely it may have thought you were reopening your claim (as referenced in the confirmation message you received).

If you have not had any intervening employment since you filed your claim a year ago (in other words, if the last employer used to file your previous benefit year is still your last employer), then no, they won't be contacted again. Your type of claim is called a "transitional" claim, because you're transitioning from one benefit year to the next, and nothing else has changed.

Keep in mind also, that when your new benefit year is established, if you qualify for a new, regular UI claim (if you have enough wages in the base period to do so), that's what will happen. If this is the case, any remaining extension money on your previous benefit years goes away.

It's only if you don't qualify for a new, regular UI claim that a new benefit year would be set up for you to go back and collect any remaining extensions (including EB) on your previous benefit year. If you won't set a new, regular UI claim and will be attempting a new benefit year to be able to go back and draw any remaining extension money from your previous benefit year, then you should be eligible for EB if you've collected Tier 1 and Tier 2 EUC08. The monetary eligility requirements are the same for all three (your total base period wages must be equal to or greater than 1.5 times the high quarter in your base period).

Old 11-08-2009, 06:28 PM

31 posts, read 89,458 times
so I just got a notice of monetary standing for tier 2 which is the same amt as I was collecting and my benefit yr ends the 30th of this mo when I reaply for new benefits I may not get this same tier 2 extension?

Old 11-08-2009, 10:36 PM

11 posts, read 31,801 times
This is an awesome forum, therefore I feel hopeful that I can get some answers for my husband. He has called the local ESC, but they say they are unable to tell him anything until his benefit year is up. Here is his situation: My husband lost his job on Dec. 15, 2008 (with a company he had worked for 29 years). His benefit year ends on January 4, 2010. What are his chances of continuing to draw unemployment past January 4, 2010? He was in a supervisory position and made a good salary--his quarterly earnings averaged around $18,000. I assume he would have to go to the local ESC and open a new claim in January? When/if he is allowed to open a new claim, how much longer will he be eligible to draw unemployment? 20 weeks...or longer than 20 weeks? We have been told by a couple of people that he could draw for another year....is that possible? Any answers/advice will be appreciated. Thanks!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina