Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2011, 01:51 PM

156 posts, read 190,219 times

Advertisements

I've emailed them all probably 3x today..From at least 3 accounts. I just can't believe the JOKER won't even address the situation. These are situations where a person could really start to lose their reason and patience. Especially when they have others depending on them. "NO, I'm not saying, I'm crazy like that". You all know how frustrating this has been for 3 weeks. Asking family, friends, creditors ect, for $$$ or more time to pay, is just exhausting. I'm just glad we all can share info, help each other in some ways. Mr. Nesbitt seems very genuine about helping....though, he's the only one publicly speaking about it. That's kinda bothersome, he being the ONLY ONE.

Supposedly, one rep said, once they get budget issues done, they could move onto the EB situation. I'm trying to put off credit card bills right now, while I type this. I just keep going back and fourth to the banks chat window! Today has just been so frustrating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 01:52 PM

169 posts, read 315,049 times
Default Just sent my email

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCEB View Post
I send from 3 different addresses. I only say that because I get no replies.

This seems like the fastest way to get the extended benefits back to the disenfranchised people of North Carolina. Governor Purdue's stubbornness, and her willingness to put her ideologies and election campaign agendas in front of the need and desperation of the unemployed people of North Carolina is evident.

Of course, it is naive to put all blame on the governor. However, people are losing their electricity, having problems feeding their family, and being evicted from their homes. Many North Carolinians depend on this money to survive.

Please help do the right thing. The extended benefits are 100% federally funded, their is no way they should be attached to a state agenda as is.

But as it is apparent that the budget is inextricably(and inappropriately) tied to federal funded extended benefits. This seems like the quickest way to get desperate people their meager weekly stipend for living.

I know you have allegiance to the Democrats and the governor, but this transcends that.

override Purdue's Heavy handed veto...please.

Thank You,

Old 05-05-2011, 01:59 PM

169 posts, read 315,049 times
Default I feel your pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangman2002 View Post
I've emailed them all probably 3x today..From at least 3 accounts. I just can't believe the JOKER won't even address the situation. These are situations where a person could really start to lose their reason and patience. Especially when they have others depending on them. "NO, I'm not saying, I'm crazy like that". You all know how frustrating this has been for 3 weeks. Asking family, friends, creditors ect, for $$$ or more time to pay, is just exhausting. I'm just glad we all can share info, help each other in some ways. Mr. Nesbitt seems very genuine about helping....though, he's the only one publicly speaking about it. That's kinda bothersome, he being the ONLY ONE.

Supposedly, one rep said, once they get budget issues done, they could move onto the EB situation. I'm trying to put off credit card bills right now, while I type this. I just keep going back and fourth to the banks chat window! Today has just been so frustrating.
I have tried to be active today. The cinco demayo bill really pissed me off beyond belief. What audacity!

They are waiting on the budget (override of vetoed h383) because it will kill two birds with one stone. Thats it. If it gets overridden, which is what they are hoping, they get their budget and EB is reinstated.

If this doesn't work. Then maybe they will just pass EB, and try a different route for the budget.

Interestingly, five democrats backed the GOP on the budget(That is not typical).

** Mr. Nesbitt speaks on behalf of many members in his opinions. He has just been chosen as the articulator.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:01 PM

187 posts, read 259,332 times
I agree and acknowledge the frustration we are all in. I also agree with History on his above statement. We all need to feed our families, to pay our utilities, to pay our rent. We need action on this NOW! !

Old 05-05-2011, 02:04 PM

26 posts, read 31,794 times
I just sent this to the 5 Dems, will let you know if I get a response....

Dear William, Jim, Dewey, Tim, & Bill,

Hope you all are doing well today. In life, we all have to make tough decisions, and many times we have to go against our so-called "team" to do what's right for the neighbor next door. What has transpired over the last few weeks b/w both parties is beyond comprehension to the 50,000+ North Carolinians who are now reaching desperate boiling points. Forget the republicans, forget Governor Perdue, forget all of the political posturing. I want you to think about what it means to be a human-being at your core, what your purpose is on this earth.

I, and the other 50,000+ North Carolinians, are struggling to make sense of each and every day...and this was before our Unemployment Extended Benefits were swept out from us. Now, we are having a tough time breathing and taking in the air each day. Our children are suffering, and many of us are at the end of the line. I want YOU to think long and hard about this tonight when you go to bed.

With that being said, you should be commended for crossing over party lines and voting for HB200. Well done. All I can ask from you now is to do the same for HB383, which was vetoed by the Governor a few weeks ago. Just because you and the Gov are democrats doesn't mean you can't vote for "doing what's right for the common man". Party lines should disappear when a bill this crucial to one's survival is up for vote. You 5 are our vital swing votes we need to override Ms. Perdue's veto.

Please take immediate action now. Please.

Thank you,

P.S. I graduated *** Laude from a very prestigious university in 2001, have had multiple years of success in the medical field working world, am married w/ a beautiful 4-yr old daughter...and now I find myself 20 months unemployed. Yep, that's right....20 months unemployed. I am just like each and every one of you - we all are.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:06 PM

108 posts, read 160,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holwager View Post
Please write these 5 Democratic swing votes in the House and ask them to override Perdue's veto of House Bill 383. It's our quickest resolution.

William.Brisson@ncleg.net
Jim.Crawford@ncleg.net
Dewey.Hill@ncleg.net
Tim.Spear@ncleg.net
Bill.Owens@ncleg.net
Sent emails to all the above Reps. Bombard these guys with emails!!

Old 05-05-2011, 02:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,578 times
Default Sad Story regarding EB

Hit there everyone. I want to thank you so much for all of the information that you have been giving regarding the EB benifits and what has been going on. A friend of mine and I were both let go of our positions less than two years ago and were both on first weeks of EB. It has been nearly impossible to find another position, and we have both been relying on each other for support. We both worked for Cirque Du Soleil together when they were in town to make some extra money, and have been dong other part time jobs that help a little.

Well, I saw her two days ago when she came over, we had some coffee, and she was letting me know that she was going to be evicted from her apartment and that she just didn't know what to do. I could tell that she was depressed and overwelmed as we both are, but, like so many on this forum, have hope. I have been writing, calling, just like everyone else and I truly believe that something will happen soon.

Well, i wish I could say that my friend had such a belief. I found out today that she took her own life a day ago. She just couldn't figure out what to do, had no savings left, and would have ended up on the street. Besides me, she had no real family. At 50, she just wasn't sure what she could do next. I guess she figured that ending her own life was the only option that she had. I wish that she would have called me so that I could have told her things were going to get better, but I will soon be in the same boat that she was in. I have enough money to last me for 3 months, and that is with no driving, and scrimping and saving.

This story isn't meant to get anyone down...and I know that I haven't posted in here and just read, but all of you have been my support and I truly believe that it will get better. I just wanted to tell her story so that everyone knows the seriousness of all of this. A life was lost while government plays around with our lives.

Thank you all for listening and in your prayers, please remember my friend Kayla. She was a beautiful woman with a good heart in a situation that no one wants to be in.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:19 PM

44 posts, read 63,814 times
I know a lot of us are unhappy with the GA for tying EB to the budget - I was at first, until I started reading/thinking about the situation.

The GA transitioned over to Republican control for the first time in several decades. I think most of those elected are new to politics & they were elected based on pledges to reduce government & eliminate deficit spending.

Gov. Perdue comes from a long line of good old boy, backroom politics. She's probably pissed with her inability to control politics & run the state that way, maybe she doesn't know any other way except to play games.

I don't think we'll get the GA to back down, they're going to be firm in their conviction as that's why they were elected. I'm sure they feel they've got the power of the people of NC behind them.

I don't think Perdue will back down either - she's operated in the political arena far longer than the newly elected GA members & I'm sure she feels that she'll be able to get her way by hook or by crook.

I think those of us on this board need to determine a strategy & execute it with a common voice. In my opinion, we should work on getting an override and/or on Perdue for her lack of willingness to negotiate & lack of a sound budget. Once we have a strategy, then we need to develop tactics to achieve it. Tactics would include direct political pressure (e.g. writing/calling/emailing), pressure from the media, finding & uniting with additional EB participants (perhaps found through other online message boards), etc.

I believe that our voice must be united & concentrate on the financial benefits to the state & economy by supporting EB, emphasizing how EB support will help both the GA & Gov. Perdue achieve their goals.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:29 PM

169 posts, read 204,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichaelp View Post
I know a lot of us are unhappy with the GA for tying EB to the budget - I was at first, until I started reading/thinking about the situation.

The GA transitioned over to Republican control for the first time in several decades. I think most of those elected are new to politics & they were elected based on pledges to reduce government & eliminate deficit spending.

Gov. Perdue comes from a long line of good old boy, backroom politics. She's probably pissed with her inability to control politics & run the state that way, maybe she doesn't know any other way except to play games.

I don't think we'll get the GA to back down, they're going to be firm in their conviction as that's why they were elected. I'm sure they feel they've got the power of the people of NC behind them.

I don't think Perdue will back down either - she's operated in the political arena far longer than the newly elected GA members & I'm sure she feels that she'll be able to get her way by hook or by crook.

I think those of us on this board need to determine a strategy & execute it with a common voice. In my opinion, we should work on getting an override and/or on Perdue for her lack of willingness to negotiate & lack of a sound budget. Once we have a strategy, then we need to develop tactics to achieve it. Tactics would include direct political pressure (e.g. writing/calling/emailing), pressure from the media, finding & uniting with additional EB participants (perhaps found through other online message boards), etc.

I believe that our voice must be united & concentrate on the financial benefits to the state & economy by supporting EB, emphasizing how EB support will help both the GA & Gov. Perdue achieve their goals.

Great idea. I think we need a faster and louder vehicle to get our message through. The facebook site has good intentions but makes it too public, and for me embarrassing. A simple central location, with a listserv, contact info, forum, form letters etc.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:35 PM

108 posts, read 160,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitepawn View Post
Hit there everyone. I want to thank you so much for all of the information that you have been giving regarding the EB benifits and what has been going on. A friend of mine and I were both let go of our positions less than two years ago and were both on first weeks of EB. It has been nearly impossible to find another position, and we have both been relying on each other for support. We both worked for Cirque Du Soleil together when they were in town to make some extra money, and have been dong other part time jobs that help a little.

Well, I saw her two days ago when she came over, we had some coffee, and she was letting me know that she was going to be evicted from her apartment and that she just didn't know what to do. I could tell that she was depressed and overwelmed as we both are, but, like so many on this forum, have hope. I have been writing, calling, just like everyone else and I truly believe that something will happen soon.

Well, i wish I could say that my friend had such a belief. I found out today that she took her own life a day ago. She just couldn't figure out what to do, had no savings left, and would have ended up on the street. Besides me, she had no real family. At 50, she just wasn't sure what she could do next. I guess she figured that ending her own life was the only option that she had. I wish that she would have called me so that I could have told her things were going to get better, but I will soon be in the same boat that she was in. I have enough money to last me for 3 months, and that is with no driving, and scrimping and saving.

This story isn't meant to get anyone down...and I know that I haven't posted in here and just read, but all of you have been my support and I truly believe that it will get better. I just wanted to tell her story so that everyone knows the seriousness of all of this. A life was lost while government plays around with our lives.

Thank you all for listening and in your prayers, please remember my friend Kayla. She was a beautiful woman with a good heart in a situation that no one wants to be in.
This has brought me to tears. So tragic. Please send this to our lawmakers and let them know that they are playing political games while lives are in jeopardy. I am so sorry to hear about your friend. Thanks for sharing this with us. Maybe this could wake up our representatives and stop them from playing games while people are in dire circumstances.

We need to make sure this gets to those that can end this mess. This needs to be sent to Gov. Perdue. Maybe this could break her cold cold heart. I am really sad for your friend, and really pissed off what is happening now in our state government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina