Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2007, 03:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,760 times

Advertisements

It is pretty scary to start over especially when you are responsible for four children's emotional health. My husband and I are looking for a decent home on large land, 15 acres minimum. We'd need a good high school system. I hear Chapel Hill, Raleigh, Greensboro, Jamestown, High Point, and Apex are top notch. Of course, finding an affordable farm in these areas may not be realistic. I don't want to be any more than 2 hours from the coast, as I grew up on the RI beaches. We would love some acres of pastures with the privacy insulation of some woods, as well as a barn or large outbuilding. We'll be coming down in April to do some preliminary research. Any help would be much appreciated. There is only so much a real estate agent can tell you or show you.
Why are we moving: more handshake type of people, big land, affordable living, better schools, and of course, better weather. We are fried out from the 60-80 hours work week typical of this area. I can't wait to do some real gardening and spend more time with my wonderful children.

Thank you in advance for any scoop you can share.

Emma
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2007, 04:08 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Wow , 15 acres?! What do you consider affordable? Finding 15 Acres could be quite a challenge and extremely expensive. If you are solid on your requirement of being no more than 2 Hours from the Beach, then Raleigh/Apex/ and maybe Chapel Hill (a stretch) is as far west as you can go, but I don't know if you can find that kind of land in any of those places unless you are talking millions of $. Greensboro and High Point are way more than 2 hours from the beach. Will you be working from home? Most likely any place you find with 15 acres for sale will be pretty far outside most major metro areas where most of the jobs are located. Developers have snatched up most of the large tracts of land in places where things are booming. Schools that far outside the major metro areas could be another issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma lives View Post
It is pretty scary to start over especially when you are responsible for four children's emotional health. My husband and I are looking for a decent home on large land, 15 acres minimum. We'd need a good high school system. I hear Chapel Hill, Raleigh, Greensboro, Jamestown, High Point, and Apex are top notch. Of course, finding an affordable farm in these areas may not be realistic. I don't want to be any more than 2 hours from the coast, as I grew up on the RI beaches. We would love some acres of pastures with the privacy insulation of some woods, as well as a barn or large outbuilding. We'll be coming down in April to do some preliminary research. Any help would be much appreciated. There is only so much a real estate agent can tell you or show you.
Why are we moving: more handshake type of people, big land, affordable living, better schools, and of course, better weather. We are fried out from the 60-80 hours work week typical of this area. I can't wait to do some real gardening and spend more time with my wonderful children.

Thank you in advance for any scoop you can share.

Emma

Old 03-28-2007, 04:59 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Any area to the west of raliegh is more than 2 hours to the southern beaches and within 3 to 4 to outer banks.

Directly east of raliegh I would look into Rocky Mt, Greenville and wilson
There is alot of rural in this area but becareful it not in a flood plain and see if the area was flooded during Hurricane Floyd.

South east of raliegh look into Clayton, Clinton, Middlesex, Wallace, and Burgaw.

Burgaw is very close to wilmington and the beaches are only 40 minutes away and there is alot of rural in that location in hope to find that property you desire. Good luck

Old 06-04-2007, 05:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,573 times
Default 15 acres

Hi are you still looking for 15 acres in burgaw?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina