Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2006, 08:30 PM

37 posts, read 167,274 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about it and visiting in August, but I want to know what a Mass. person thinks about the changes they have seen moving down south: people, lifestyle etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2006, 08:58 PM

1,540 posts, read 5,563,693 times
I am originally from Connecticut, and love it here. No more snow for me, except when I choose to visit in the winter. It is really pretty to see, but then I can leave and go home when I'm tired of it.

Old 06-28-2006, 09:11 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,546,909 times
me three- the family and I move in 8/06

Leaving good old Woburn,MA and the beloved mayor of Boston Mumbles Menino

Old 06-29-2006, 08:58 AM

24 posts, read 73,610 times
Me too.
My husband's company's opening a new RTP location, and we're making the move to the area soon. Don't know exactly when yet, but probably sometime in the fall. My husband's from NC and he's wanted to go back for a while since he went to school in the area. So, it's almost like going home, for my husband at least. Can't wait to get down there! Oh, we are currently in Waltham. Oh, and we'll be closer to more family there also - another reason for our move.

Old 06-29-2006, 07:13 PM

37 posts, read 167,274 times
Question MIKER2069 and BOOKWORM where

are you moving to in NC, did you buy or are you renting? What are you looking forward to most? What is your favorite part of living in NC?What will you miss most about MASS? If you have kids, what schools will they be attending? Thanks you!!!!!!

Old 06-29-2006, 11:17 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by guateek
are you moving to in NC, did you buy or are you renting? What are you looking forward to most? What is your favorite part of living in NC?What will you miss most about MASS? If you have kids, what schools will they be attending? Thanks you!!!!!!
Guateek, there are a couple of good threads on this as it pertains to MA->NC. I'll summarize though. I'm moving to S. of Charlotte, union county (Waxhaw or possibly Wessley Chapel)- it's either or as the part of my subdivision isn't incorporated yet. Either addr i get i'll be happy. My 6 yr old daughter will be going to wesley chapel elementary in august which seems to be a good school, but they are busting at the seams (i hear two new schools are going up for 2007). I originally thought I'd miss the good seafood (like a gloucester lobster roll), and may be red sox fever in sept. BUT I've reconsidered, I don't think I'll miss those to much. I can't answer the favorite part of living in NC yet as I'm not there until August, however I'll say what I like so about Charlotte specifically. A relatively slower pace, at least 3 out of 10 people will respond with good morning when you say that to them, being back in the south (I'm originally from South Florida), and finally getting a good amount of house without breaking the bank. I won't miss the big dig (thank you to all the other american tax payers for funding this-NOT), tolls on the mass pike, a governor who doesn't even want to be here, and the flight of white-collar professional jobs out of MA.

Old 07-01-2006, 09:04 AM

693 posts, read 2,761,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069
. I'm moving to S. of Charlotte, union county (Waxhaw or possibly Wessley Chapel)- .
Why do you prefer Charlotte ? Didn't like Raleigh?

Old 07-01-2006, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Is Greener
Why do you prefer Charlotte ? Didn't like Raleigh?
Raleigh is very nice from what I hear- I've never been there but have many friends that relocated for work, teaching, or just plain wanted to be there.

Me, I need to be in a city with a pro nfl team- pretty that's the truth

Old 07-01-2006, 06:29 PM

24 posts, read 73,610 times
Default response to guateek

Quote:
Originally Posted by guateek
Right now, we are looking at Apex, Cary, or parts of Raleigh. My husband will be working in Research Triangle Park. We will be buying a house. Hopefully our house will sell reasonably quickly up here - going on the market next weekend. We've been to visit the area once so far and loved it. But my huband's from Charlotte, and went to grad school at UNC, so he's more familiar with the area than the average transplant. Also, we have family in Apex that is helping us scope out new areas. What are we looking forward to most - nicer weather (I don't mind the heat), closer to family, different pace, simpler lifestyle. Don't live there yet so don't have favs yet for living in NC. What we'll miss in MA - friends (but we'll make new ones), Red Sox, and the variety of restaurants so close to our home now. Our son is less than a year old now, so we aren't making a decision on a neighborhood based on schools because we're sure it'll change before he gets to school age. So, we'll just have to work with the schools later to make sure we get what we need when the time comes. Looking forward to being a NCian and getting to raise my son in an area that is home to my husband!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina