Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2016, 04:00 PM

4 posts, read 24,302 times

Advertisements

I am interested in spending winters in NC and open to moving there year round in a few years. The most important criteria are: 1. low crime rate' 2. safe from natural disasters (an article mentioned north of Cape Hatteras as one of the top 10 safest cities from natural disasters);3. people who are environmentally conscious and holistic - I was considering Asheville, but for a few reasons not the right city-I know there are a majority of holistic people who live there, but don't need a majority of the population to be holsitic- maybe about a quarter of the population; 4. near high schools and/or colleges -my passion is attending musicals. Not as important would be to live near a city similar to Boston. Someone mentioned Wilmington as a possibility.

Thanks!
Karen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 11:51 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,536,739 times
In and around Chapel Hill.

Old 06-21-2016, 12:50 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caringkaren View Post
I am interested in spending winters in NC and open to moving there year round in a few years. The most important criteria are: 1. low crime rate' 2. safe from natural disasters (an article mentioned north of Cape Hatteras as one of the top 10 safest cities from natural disasters);3. people who are environmentally conscious and holistic - I was considering Asheville, but for a few reasons not the right city-I know there are a majority of holistic people who live there, but don't need a majority of the population to be holsitic- maybe about a quarter of the population; 4. near high schools and/or colleges -my passion is attending musicals. Not as important would be to live near a city similar to Boston. Someone mentioned Wilmington as a possibility.

Thanks!
Karen
Not a place that you'd think of at all, but you might want to keep an eye on Kings Mountain. I can't tell you how many people are holistic. I'm sure that plenty of places have more. The city is trying to be green. The city is near to Charlotte & Lake Norman & not a bad drive from Asheville.

There's a local theater company & other local theater companies nearby. There is also an annual summer production of a play that was written for the city called Liberty Mountain. It's concerning the Revolutionary War battle at nearby Kings Mountain. It's the sort of situation where you might be able to get involved, if you want.

Old 06-21-2016, 05:39 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caringkaren View Post
maybe about a quarter of the population; 4. near high schools and/or colleges -my passion is attending musicals. Not as important would be to live near a city similar to Boston. Someone mentioned Wilmington as a possibility.
Wilmington is a nice place and has theater, but I'm not sure how you would measure whether 1/4 of the population is "holistic". There are numbers of natural healers and massage therapists.

I'd give a vote to the Carrboro/Chapel Hill area. It is unique in have a free bus service. I would also look at the Fearrington community (down the road in Pittsboro) for a good job of using the natural environment and its support for local farming.

Old 06-21-2016, 06:05 AM

605 posts, read 804,678 times
I guess the winters in New England are pretty brutal, huh? I really love the idea of New England, though, and would definitely consider moving there from NC.

Have you considered Mebane at all? It's a very small town, but it's quite picturesque with a thriving downtown, and in close proximity to Greensboro and the Triangle.

Old 06-21-2016, 07:51 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Wilmington is a nice place and has theater, but I'm not sure how you would measure whether 1/4 of the population is "holistic". There are numbers of natural healers and massage therapists.
Here's a couple more plusses for Wilmington:
1. Milder winters than the Triangle.
2. There seems to be good interest in organic food, and there are some local farm-to-table restaurants.
3. Decent seafood, although we are too far south for native lobsters. Shrimp, crab and scallops are abundant. 4. Plenty of recreational bike trails, but commuting by bike is difficult.
5. People seem to do recycling of household stuff, but the commitment doesn't compare to places like Portland, Oregon. People still throw trash along the road-way, and it is picked up by inmate crews.

Here's a couple of negatives about the Wilmington area to consider:
1. Housing developers are allowed to do open burning of tree waste. During summer, they do controlled burning in the gamelands and forests. So there is smoke in the air occasionally.
2. There is a pulp plant northeast of Wilmington, producing smells and some water pollution.
3. Hurricanes happen every few years, so we are not free of natural disasters.
4. There is a huge problem with mosquitoes, so people spray their yards with insecticide, and some cities do general spraying of weeds.

Last edited by goldenage1; 06-21-2016 at 08:27 AM..

Old 06-21-2016, 08:17 AM

3,909 posts, read 2,121,604 times
Weaversville (N of Aville) or Southpark (S of CLT) are the two main ones i can think of. If your looking for a more temperate winter, I would choose Southpark. Aville had a very progressive scene, as well as Southpark now.

Old 06-21-2016, 12:47 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
If you want to be "safe from natural disasters", stay AWAY from the coast--HURRICANES. I can't imagine a source would say anything near Cape Hatteras is "the safest", as they jut way out into the Atlantic and are literally the most vulnerable part of NC for hurricanes.

You haven't said whether you'll be working, needing a job, but that would likely affect your choice of place (job market).

What parts of NC have you seen that you liked (presumably some, for you to have chosen to move here)? That would be a start, and you can say what you liked about city A or didn't like about city B, to narrow down the field.

If you have never actually been to the state, I'm curious how you would want to move here, but you should come for a visit before deciding to relocate. Asheville does sound the most like what you've said so far, actually.

The only city remotely close to "like Boston" would be Charlotte or less so, Raleigh. Generally people who want to be near that kind of city don't choose NC--most of our transplants are trying to get AWAY from the big cities up north.

Old 06-21-2016, 01:26 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,976,558 times
i grew up on the coast and have fond memories of hurricanes. Of course i was lucky enough to only lose power

Old 06-24-2016, 03:36 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,422,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post

I'd give a vote to the Carrboro/Chapel Hill area. It is unique in have a free bus service. I would also look at the Fearrington community (down the road in Pittsboro) for a good job of using the natural environment and its support for local farming.
I am also from New England, have lived in Boston and agree with Carrborro, Chapel Hill area. Also consider Durham. Educated population, health/environmentally conscious. Duke, UNC-CH close by. DPAC (Durham performing arts center) is the venue for many Broadway shows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina