Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2010, 08:07 PM

6 posts, read 7,651 times

Advertisements

hi every one im planing on moving to alaska i just dont know where to though, when i move ill be a licenced chef so that will probably impact where i move to. i want to live somewhere where i will be able to find work, ide also like to live somewhere with a population of 1000-6000, i like small towns. ive done a lot of resurch but am still not entierly sure, your sugustions will be very helpfull. thank you for any and all help,

Ginepoo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 08:44 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,287,317 times
There are a variety of towns that size in very different areas. What kind of lifestyle and climate are you looking for?

Old 09-08-2010, 11:39 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,123,667 times
Wile your aht skool, taek speling lesons

Old 09-09-2010, 12:43 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,566,245 times
Well if you are a Chef, you are going to want to be where there is nice restaurants and such, so you are going to be limited to either seasonal places like Denali's "Silver Gulch" where they close down in the fall, or in the bigger towns that have Fancy Restaurants like Anchorage or Fairbanks, and maybe Juneau. Unless you want to drop your title to "Short order Cook", you aren't going to find a small town that you can work in and make a "Chef's" living.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:51 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
By "licensed chef" I'm guessing you mean culinary school graduate?

Camp jobs come up now and then and are usually more lucrative than line cooking in a restaurant in Fairbanks et al. Idjit called here and offered me some such job today and I'm thinking about taking it to keep from having to go on welfare due to Southern Southeast Salmon season being such a bust this year.

Course welfare is looking pretty damned lucrative in it's own right these days.

What I would advise for you is that you look for employment as a chef in a remote type fly in fishing/hunting lodge. The money can be good, they put you up with a place to stay and often even help with your travel expenses. Most of that type of work is seasonal of course but seasonal work is a good way to break into living in Alaska year round.

I will also suggest that you look into Girdwood. Lots of year round opportunity there for good chefs.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:57 AM

You could always start your own restaurant if you're up for it.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:43 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
You could always start your own restaurant if you're up for it.
Completely inadvisable, really, until and unless one gets to know the local community in question and what its specific needs and preferences might be. My son's restaurant did extremely well for its first year, but he started out as a known entity and the business was built on land that we already own and a good amount of start up capital. And since there is no lease to pay, he doesn't have to try to make it through the winter in a community with marginal population and resources.

To the OP--check out Craig's List towards the spring for chef's jobs at lodges, etc. You can also look on Coolworks.com for opportunities.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:42 PM

Yeah clearly anyone wanting to start a new business anywhere should do some research first, and restaurants are risky endeavors. Thought that was kind of obvious, especially to someone already in culinary school. But any restaurant with good food and even passable service would probably do reasonably well around here. Maybe not so in a bigger town where it's easier to be overlooked, but around here people will come check you out and then tell all their friends about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska