Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 07:21 AM

2 posts, read 14,685 times

Advertisements

Hello, we are planning to move to NC from MA due to relocation. We visited and liked Raliegh area. Had a question about how hot does it get in the summer ?
We like summer weather but not too much above 85 degrees when it gets really hot and humid.

If anybody can give a breakdown of temps in April, May , June, July , August..

Apppreciate your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 07:51 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
You may find it alot different and probably will be running air conditioner frequently. You will notice alot in the area weathermen they use a heat index to know what it feels like outside. They add actual temperature plus humidity for what it feels like.

April thru May Almost perfect for windows being open and in shorts. Later part of May temperature may get in the high 80's July thru August you may spend alot of time indoors it can get very sticky in the afternoons Temperature may be 90 add in humidity and it feels like 98 degrees.

You can yard sale any snow supplies before you come they will not be needed. The benefit of being in raliegh area is you will be close to the beach it is only about 2 hours away and mountains less than 4 hours.

I been sleeping with windows open for last 2 weeks since it has felt so great outside.

Old 03-26-2007, 09:54 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boston2006 View Post
Hello, we are planning to move to NC from MA due to relocation. We visited and liked Raliegh area. Had a question about how hot does it get in the summer ?
We like summer weather but not too much above 85 degrees when it gets really hot and humid.

If anybody can give a breakdown of temps in April, May , June, July , August..

Apppreciate your help.
The mountains are the only region in the state where the normal highs are 85 degrees or less in July.

Normal High for Raleigh-Durham (29 year period)

APR - 71.8
MAY - 78.7
JUN - 85.5
JUL - 89.1
AUG - 87.2

National Weather Service

Last edited by mm34b; 03-26-2007 at 10:06 AM..

Old 03-26-2007, 10:37 AM

531 posts, read 2,011,192 times
It is not all that different than July and August up north except it lasts longer. The humidity feels about the same. I moved here 2 years ago from CT and have not found it that bad at all.

Old 03-26-2007, 04:10 PM

38 posts, read 154,940 times
Default summer weather

We moved here from southern NH almost 2 years ago, we found the first summer a little hotter, but by the second, when we had adjusted it was no problem, a least nothing a little A/C and a pool can't help.

The lack of snow shoveling makes up for it!

Old 03-26-2007, 05:14 PM

177 posts, read 847,366 times
If you have to ask, you don't want to know :-)

Seriously, when I moved from NYC to Atlanta many years ago, I did so in Autumn. My "adjustment" period was that following winter (where I wore nothing more than a light sweater on the "cold days" because I'd not yet adjusted. By the time summer came, I was fine. And, somewhere during the course of my nine summers there, it got to the point where I didn't need to run the air conditioning in my car at all (unless I was doing an extended road trip) - and never cooled my house down past 85.

Of course, now that I'm moving back to Raleigh in a week, we'll see if, at many years older, I'm still as resilient.

eileen

Old 03-27-2007, 03:36 PM

112 posts, read 759,908 times
We moved from MA, to FL, to NC. I think you'll find the first summer to be the worst, but not a huge difference from what you're used to.

If you need any help with your move, feel free to send me an email, PM, or check out my homepeage. I'm a Realtor in the Raleigh area and would love to help another MA resident out.

Old 03-28-2007, 06:54 AM

212 posts, read 1,063,459 times
It's hot as crap. It's "jungle hot". In the mornings at 0500 it will be in the low 80's with 90 percent humidity; as the day progresses it may reach up into the low triple digits on the worst days. More likely into the mid 90's.
Dress lightly, drink lots of fluids, and stay near an air conditioner. Keep an eye on the old folks in your neighborhood, they are much more likely to have difficulty on the hottest days.

Old 03-28-2007, 08:30 AM

223 posts, read 1,065,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clodhopper View Post
It's hot as crap. It's "jungle hot". In the mornings at 0500 it will be in the low 80's with 90 percent humidity; as the day progresses it may reach up into the low triple digits on the worst days. More likely into the mid 90's.
Dress lightly, drink lots of fluids, and stay near an air conditioner. Keep an eye on the old folks in your neighborhood, they are much more likely to have difficulty on the hottest days.

After living here for many years, IMO this is probably the most accurate description of the summer weather in Central and Eastern NC, which includes Cary and Raleigh. You do adjust somewhat, but from late April to late Sept./early October, you will run your AC constantly, and will need a jacket or sweater for INDOORS because buildings around here are kept ice cold! That in turn only makes it feel hotter when you step outside again.
So forget the "average temps" posted, they rarely tell you much, and go more with the heat index reported.

Old 03-29-2007, 09:05 AM

713 posts, read 3,928,056 times
Default There is another solution to the heat

We're native North Carolinians who moved back to the states in the late eighties after farming in Canada. Our first summer back was in Maryland which I think has even more humidity than the Raleigh area. I thought I was going to die for a couple of months.

After that we lived in Roanoke, VA for seventeen years. Which by most southern definitions is "in the mountains." It still gets hot there but our home there is on a mountainside so it is a little cooler than the valley.

Lots of people find North Carolina very tolerable if you do your outside yard work early in the morning or late in the evening. Our family home was in Mount Airy, NC at the foot of the Blue Ridge, but because of shade trees, you could easily work until eight o'clock in the morning outside.

Shade makes a huge difference. A new home with no trees is a lot hotter than one with trees. The way the house is positioned with the sun also makes a difference. Morning sun can be nice, afternoon sun can be brutal.

Of course the real solution other than hiding from the heat is to get used to it. Torture your northern friends who are still seeing snow in March when we're enjoying 80 degrees.

When it gets really hot, and you're tired of hiding in the air conditioning, head to the mountains or the beach.

Except for a brief period usually in July and August, the beach areas (we're on the Crystal Coast near Emerald Isle) have more moderate temperatures. The water is still cool down here now so we cool off quickly in the evening and don't get as warm during the day. In the fall the days stay warmer because the water is warm.

Getting near water in the form of lake, pool, or ocean is an old NC recipe for tolerating the heat. When I grew up here in the fifties, there was no air conditioning, and surprisingly we all survived.

Sunday afternoons were homemade ice cream and water melon under the shade trees. North Carolina's heat is nothing to fear, now I might worry about the heat in South Carolina
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina