Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 07:44 AM

9 posts, read 21,586 times

Advertisements

We have been thinking about relocating to the Hickory area from Maine.
I know that N.C. is part of the bible belt and I respect that.
We are not religious and I am a little concerned as to how we will be treated?
I have nothing against religion and am a live and let live kind of person but it has been my experience that even here in Maine some people will try their hardest to try to convert and when that fails condemn me for my outlook.
As said I am not against religion and keep my opinion to myself unless asked but do not want to spend my life being an outcast because of me views.
Any comments would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 09:42 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,570,759 times
It will likely be noted by neighbors that you "don't attend" <gasp!>

I'm a native, yet my views coincide with yours, and I still get strong armed by those that want to 'save' me. They eventually get over it, but I suspect in more rural areas they may never get over it.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:48 AM

1,379 posts, read 3,926,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri&kim View Post
We are not religious and I am a little concerned as to how we will be treated?
Sooner or later, some will come to respect you not for what you believe, but for what you do. And those that don't aren't worth knowing anyway.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:35 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,114,479 times
In the North, people can know each other for decades, and neither will know the other's religious beliefs -- because it's a very private thing.

In the Bible Belt, especially in smaller towns, some people think it's their business to not only know what you believe but what church you attend. (This is NOT true in the Triangle area because there are so many Northerners...but it used to be that way. There are still Christians everywhere -- North and South -- who think saving you is on their life's "To Do" list and won't take no for an answer.)

It's much easier for churchgoers to assimilate in small towns. Church is often a very important part of small town life. In small towns, everyone knows your business, and of course one would expect that some would avoid you. Unfortunately.

My advice: Think twice.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:48 AM

122 posts, read 457,404 times
You will have a hard time making friends.
Church is the social center and outside of that... I don't know. Almost all Haloween celebrations are at the churches as well as other holidays..
You could be lucky enough to find another transplant or a rare native non-believer to spend time with, but I have had very little luck.
I do now have a local friend and when I was in Madison County I was among many like myself.

If you have kids they will have a hard time in school. The other children will question etc...
I have had to teach mine that religion and politics are just not to be discussed safely.

I am a native and a preacher's kid and I am deeply in the closet. It is almost easier to be gay than a non believer. I can say such things here cause ya'll don't know me

Just be prepared to either be a bit loney (and not because folks are openly mean about it, but because that is just where friends are made) and a bit secretive. You will be met by looks of downright fear sometimes. Or be prepared to join up anyway....

Old 02-22-2009, 12:02 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,926,229 times
Default WNC Atheists

WNCAtheists

Old 02-22-2009, 06:43 PM

127 posts, read 476,861 times
I am not familiar with Hickory, but from the perspective of a spiritual non church goer living in Burnsville it is not a problem. Most of our friends are very libral minded and tend to be from other places, but we do get along with the locals just fine. Our son is home schooled and we are very active in the Burnsville homeschooling group. The homeschooling families tend to be very religious, but are not pushy by any means.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:49 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,587,864 times
The biggest factor that will determine how you assimilate in Hickory is how much $$$ you have. Trust me on this. Money will trump religion there every time.

But it will make things easier if you attend a church, b/c that is how a lot of business gets done - thru/ associations one makes at church. That - and the country club.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:01 PM

161 posts, read 516,011 times
IRONICALLY, I've experienced the opposite of the comments made by "Asheville Native" and "LoveBrentwood". I am a northerner who moved to NC. EVERYONE knew who the "churchgoers" were in my northern community....but absolutely no one bothers us here b/c we don't attend any church. A few have invited us..but nothing as dramatic as Asheville Native experienced.

I think people worry about the wrong things when they move. Yes, the culture in the south is very different than up north...but it just depends what your motives for wanting to relocate are.....

Old 02-23-2009, 09:41 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,114,479 times
Where in the state are you located?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkhk3746 View Post
IRONICALLY, I've experienced the opposite of the comments made by "Asheville Native" and "LoveBrentwood". I am a northerner who moved to NC. EVERYONE knew who the "churchgoers" were in my northern community....but absolutely no one bothers us here b/c we don't attend any church. A few have invited us..but nothing as dramatic as Asheville Native experienced.

I think people worry about the wrong things when they move. Yes, the culture in the south is very different than up north...but it just depends what your motives for wanting to relocate are.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina