Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2007, 07:29 PM

485 posts, read 561,006 times

Advertisements

Another post got me wondering (and worrying a bit) about the religious climate in places like Boone and Asheville and elsewhere in NC.

I have a Master of Divinity degree from a seminary established in 1814, Though it is old, the views are relatively liberal. Certainly we focused on education, epistemology, exegetical studies, archeology, linguistics, and non-canonical as well as canonical scriptures. I am NOT a "born again" kind of preacher, but I am very accepting of others. I call myself an ecclectic ecumenist.

My wife is Roman Catholic and she, too, is more liberal than most of the church's "official" views.

I assume (bad thing to do, I know) that a university town would be more liberal than some other areas. But what is the climate there? We will have just one Sunday when we visit to attend a church, so it isn't like we will get a good feel for the area.

If you wonder where my views lie, you can find some of my sermons (and links to some of my dad's sermons) here: Father John's Messages for Our Day (http://www.grandmemories.com/blogpage.htm - broken link)

Thanks for any input.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 07:56 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,424,271 times
It's a bunch of Bible-thumping Baptist rednecks who bring their guns to church. JUST KIDDING. Contemporary non-denominational churches are big here now, but there are still plenty of religions. I suggest reading "Rethinking the Church" by Pastor Jim White from Mecklenburg Community Church. Look on amazon.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:56 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,997,063 times
Some good background information on religion in NC here. Click on "Religion" on the left side chapter list.

The North Carolina Atlas Revisited

Old 06-20-2007, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvslvs View Post
The Church of Christ is probably going to skew a little liberal for NC. In the western part of the state the "establishment" churches are PCUSA and in the east that role is held by the Episcopal church.

Speaking of PCUSA, there are a lot of folks in the Southern church who want to break with PCUSA because it is too liberal. Take that for what it is worth.

The plurality of North Carolinians are Southern Baptist. Because the SBC is governed at the church level you will find some liberal SBC churches but the overwhelming majority are conservative.
Good information. Thanks. It means that if we look around, we should find something comfortable. I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:40 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,906,794 times
One thing I like about NC is the variety it has religiously. Everyone seems to find their nich, even those who aren't religious. I'm more conservative, but still enjoy everyones differences. You shouldn't have a problem finding a church. Good luck and welcome.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:32 PM

954 posts, read 4,377,063 times
I was a pastor in NC for 12 years.
The big dogs in the small towns are Southern Baptists.
In the metropolitan areas, you see the mega-churches. However, they are Evangelical, though not Fundamentalists.
However, even small towns usually have some representative churches that are Right, Middle and Left, on the theological spectrum.
Just remember that no matter where you are in NC you are not too far from a Fundamentalists. Depending on how vocal you are, you may get some stares.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhogan10010 View Post
I was a pastor in NC for 12 years.
The big dogs in the small towns are Southern Baptists.
In the metropolitan areas, you see the mega-churches. However, they are Evangelical, though not Fundamentalists.
However, even small towns usually have some representative churches that are Right, Middle and Left, on the theological spectrum.
Just remember that no matter where you are in NC you are not too far from a Fundamentalists. Depending on how vocal you are, you may get some stares.
I've gotten stares before... I play a clown and Santa for some of my volunteer work. My biggest problem won't be religion - it will be that I am a University of Michigan fan in SEC country.

me:

and of course:

Old 06-21-2007, 02:22 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,424,271 times
There are a lot of Michigan fans here. Just go to Tavern on the Tracks when ther Wolverines are playing.

Old 06-21-2007, 02:36 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Father John View Post
I've gotten stares before... I play a clown and Santa for some of my volunteer work. My biggest problem won't be religion - it will be that I am a University of Michigan fan in SEC country.

me:

and of course:

Father John, you look like my kind of minister, lol!

Let us know where you land when you move so I can visit your church

Old 06-21-2007, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC Fan View Post
North Carolina is ACC country. (good lord )
LOL. Sorry. Tennessee is SEC. I'll get it right eventually. Just don't expect me to talk NASCAR.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina