Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2006, 07:08 PM

9 posts, read 32,802 times

Advertisements

I am moving my family to the area. Don't worry - I don't plan to contribute to the school overcrowding issue for Wake County. Does anyone know how the Catholic schools rate in Wake County? I don't know how to compare the schools. Also, does anyone know anything about The Franciscan School in North Raleigh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2006, 10:38 PM

478 posts, read 2,304,047 times
There is no official comparison list with private school. There are very few Catholic schools as it is, so I'd recommend just going to all of them and interviewing some of the staff.

Catholics have typically been a minority in this area, but the rising number of transplants (many with a Catholic affiliation) means longer waiting lists at all of the schools in question, so putting your kid(s) on the list as early as possible is a good thing.

Best of luck!

Old 06-21-2006, 08:10 AM

132 posts, read 403,880 times
I have a question, are there private schools down there with no church affiliation. Like up here we have a lot of prestigious college prep academies and such and I was just curious if there was anything like that down there? I don't have any children, just thought of it as I was reading the post.

Old 06-21-2006, 08:26 AM

336 posts, read 513,424 times
There are private schools all over the state, both religious and non-religious, even quite a few catholic.

Old 06-21-2006, 08:45 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,477,547 times
Check out the NC Association of Independent Schools.
http://www.ncais.org/
I know in South Carolina, we have SCISA (SC Independent Schools Association). Many are non-religous, some are catholic, some are general "christian", some are military schools, etc. I know in South Carolina, the independent schools are academically much stronger than the public schools, it really isn't close.

Often they were created right after the integration of public schools. Mysteriously, tons of them were founded in 1965-1970.

Old 06-22-2006, 12:11 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,004,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia
I have a question, are there private schools down there with no church affiliation. Like up here we have a lot of prestigious college prep academies and such and I was just curious if there was anything like that down there? I don't have any children, just thought of it as I was reading the post.
Western NC used to be a hotbed for private, college-prep boarding schools for most of the 1900's, but many closed due to high operating costs and unwillingness to convert to coed. I spent my high school years at one near Asheville. It was not uncommon to have a total student body of 75-150 for grades 9-12. Student to teacher ratio was around 6 to 1. For some of my classes, I was the only student. In my opinion, still the best type of secondary education available in America. In NC, expect to pay $30,000 to $40,000 per year for an excellent one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina