Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2006, 08:43 PM

23 posts, read 80,372 times

Advertisements

My DH wants to move to Florida but I'm thinking North Carolina.Can someone give me a list of benefits to moving to NC over Florida?Also,how much money would he need to make in NC for our family of four to live comfortably?I know houses are a bit less expensive but what about the pay, taxes etc?Any info would be so greatly appreciated,thanks and GOD bless.
p.s. My husband is a very hard working mig welder/fabricator.He works for a trucking equipment company up here in Connecticut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2006, 08:53 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,743,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer77
My DH wants to move to Florida but I'm thinking North Carolina.Can someone give me a list of benefits to moving to NC over Florida?Also,how much money would he need to make in NC for our family of four to live comfortably?I know houses are a bit less expensive but what about the pay, taxes etc?Any info would be so greatly appreciated,thanks and GOD bless.
p.s. My husband is a very hard working mig welder/fabricator.He works for a trucking equipment company up here in Connecticut.
They use welder/fabricators for NASCAR. Might see if any teams have an opening. Most teams are in the Concord area.

Old 06-13-2006, 09:01 PM

Thanks for that info!

Old 06-13-2006, 09:11 PM

872 posts, read 3,584,886 times
Actually most teams are located in Iredell county or Mooresville.

There are alot of trucking companies based in Charlotte so you may want to look that route.

Taxes are and have been rising though. When most states lowerd the gas tax the General Assembly with all its wisdom raised it. Just one of the many taxes being raised. Property taxes are less than Florida. Charlotte is raising theirs though. But cost of living is generally less than Florida still. Houses are insanley overpriced in Florida.

Last edited by mountain_time_Blues; 06-13-2006 at 09:13 PM..

Old 06-13-2006, 09:23 PM

320 posts, read 1,557,241 times
Housing, taxes and general cost of living are lower in NC than in FL. NC also offers a slower pace and a more wholesome living for children.

We are relocating to Florida from KY becuase of my husband's job. The cost of real estate just boggles my mind. When I research the crime stats, etc. I get boggled even more. I am really not looking forward to our move but will make the best of it and adjust like I have done with evey move.

Good luck to you where ever you chose.

Old 06-13-2006, 09:30 PM

240 posts, read 1,021,952 times
Default Moving from Fl to NC

I'm moving from Fl to NC. I have been here for over a year renting. I can't speak for all parts of Fl, but in the SoFl area the houses are overpriceg
Here are a few other issues. The taxes are tremendous, the home insurance due to hurricanes is tremendous and increasing. Check out today's Palm Beach Post paper. Look in the real estate section of the paper online. Many people from Fl are moving to Ga, Al, NC, and Tn. You will also see the range of increases the insurance companies are asking for if you can get insurance.
Check out the real estate blogs. It will give you an idea of what's going on with real estate, taxes and insurance.

I don't know if you have kids. The schools they claim that are "A" rates are okay but I believe the schools in the north have a better foundation. Check out the NC,Fl,Al, and Ga treads. You will see people fleeing from Fl. Mostly becasue of the price issues. If your filthy rich, you will not have a proble. If you do decide to move to Fl, rent first to check out the area. You cannot tell until you get here.

Overall I do love Fl. I'll probably come back here when my daughter finishes school. Unless the insurance and tax situation changes, I'll probably rent and maintain my house in NC. Being a snowbird is not a bad idea at this time.

Also the pay is very low here. If you have any specific questions, I'll be glad to help.

Old 06-14-2006, 06:41 AM

Thank you all for responding to my post.NC seems wonderful to me. Kinda hope I can change DH's mind about Florida I think it will all depend on employment ops.

Old 06-14-2006, 06:47 AM

787 posts, read 3,583,292 times
I think you will be very satisfied with your move to North Carolina. Are you looking city or country type living" Large or small town feel? Mountains or beaches or somewhere in between so you can enjoy both.

Old 06-14-2006, 08:34 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,828,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC
They use welder/fabricators for NASCAR. Might see if any teams have an opening. Most teams are in the Concord area.
Quite a few shops are actually pretty close together even though they are located in a few cities.

Ganassi and Roush are in Concord, It's interesting because it says Hendricks place is in Charlotte but it is right down the street from Lowe's Motor Speedway which in in Concord.
Other cities race shops are in:
Mooresville
Statesville
Huntersville
Randleman
Hickory
Welcome (RCR, this is pretty far out)
Harrisburg

The easiest thing to do is to go to the Lowe's Motor Speedway and go into the gift shop and ask for a shop map and they have directions to all the shops. Like I said RCR is pretty far but well worth it if you are an Earnhardt fan. Hendrick Motorsports also has a great collection to look at, Schraders car when he drove for them, the Bud car. I think it was at Talledaga when he flipped the car, the car is in the showroom just like it landed and then sequence photo's of the car flipping. If I remember it still had a grass chunk on it. At Gibb's racing he has a superbowl ring on display. Roush Racing created/engineered the roof flaps and a bunch of other safety items. If you like NASCAR you've got to tour the shops, go on a non holiday or non race weekend. We had a blast!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina