Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 04:32 PM

398 posts, read 498,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMiller1965 View Post
I have a question...
My husband came to NC to work and I stayed in AL to get the kids through school, after a year of him renting in NC, it made more sence to buy a home there also, due to kid commitments amd whatever, I could not go to NC for closing so I signed a Free Trade Agreement for him to purchase the house in his name only. He recently died, am I still entitled to the house???
Thanks
Lost and sad
Ask an attorney, not random strangers on the internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 10:33 AM

5,898 posts, read 6,966,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I had never heard of a "free trade ageement" allowing the purchase of a house.
It is called a Free Trader Agreement (with the R). It allows one spouse to buy a house during the separation period without the other spouse being able to claim interest. Blank forms are available from various NC divorce firms via Google Search.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:59 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,069,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
It is called a Free Trader Agreement (with the R). It allows one spouse to buy a house during the separation period without the other spouse being able to claim interest. Blank forms are available from various NC divorce firms via Google Search.
Thanks very much. It sounds like the wife certainly needs an attorney to review what is actually on the agreement. Whether they were only separated or actually divorced will impact whether she could inherit the house the husband bought.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:05 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,555,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMiller1965 View Post
I have a question...
My husband came to NC to work and I stayed in AL to get the kids through school, after a year of him renting in NC, it made more sence to buy a home there also, due to kid commitments amd whatever, I could not go to NC for closing so I signed a Free Trade Agreement for him to purchase the house in his name only. He recently died, am I still entitled to the house???
Thanks
Lost and sad

What does your post have to do with the subject of this thread? Which is, divorce law in NC. In NC you have to be legally separated for 366 days in order to get a final judgment of divorce. Seems like the year and one day has expired IF you had a separation agreement that was not finalized.

Were you married or divorced when he passed away? Contact a NC divorce attorney in the County where he was living.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:36 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,232,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
this is pretty close, I imagine. What we colloquially refer to as a Free Trader Agreement allows separated spouses to allow the other estranged spouse to buy real estate in NC .... and exclude that property from their "marital assets" - in other words, to say "hey, the ex is buying that home and it is his and his alone and I have no claims to it".

Now, I also readily admit that I've never heard of a circumstance like yours.

That's where the importance of whether you had a RECORDED separation agreement in place, and where that agreement might be - NC or AL? Because anecdotally, I would imagine in NC, that property immediately reverted to you so long as you're still legally married and he hasn't drawn up a new will (but that's just a bit of dramatic speculation on my part).

And recently, I heard one of the very best residential real estate attorneys I know proclaim "there is no such thing as a free trader, it hass to be in the separation agreement itself".

In other words, use your divorce attorney in AL, or engage an attorney in NC, to do what you're going to pay them for - determine the reality. If you want the info of that attorney I mentioned, just pm me. He's in Wake County, but the applicable laws should definitely be state-wide

Old 03-22-2016, 06:52 AM

3,087 posts, read 4,863,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
this is pretty close, I imagine. What we colloquially refer to as a Free Trader Agreement allows separated spouses to allow the other estranged spouse to buy real estate in NC .... and exclude that property from their "marital assets" - in other words, to say "hey, the ex is buying that home and it is his and his alone and I have no claims to it".

Now, I also readily admit that I've never heard of a circumstance like yours.

That's where the importance of whether you had a RECORDED separation agreement in place, and where that agreement might be - NC or AL? Because anecdotally, I would imagine in NC, that property immediately reverted to you so long as you're still legally married and he hasn't drawn up a new will (but that's just a bit of dramatic speculation on my part).

And recently, I heard one of the very best residential real estate attorneys I know proclaim "there is no such thing as a free trader, it has to be in the separation agreement itself".

In other words, use your divorce attorney in AL, or engage an attorney in NC, to do what you're going to pay them for - determine the reality. If you want the info of that attorney I mentioned, just pm me. He's in Wake County, but the applicable laws should definitely be state-wide
Dealing with NC real estate transactions for the last 20 years or so...the highlighted quote would not be surprising to me. Many folks that move into NC aren't familiar with the "what's mine is yours" mentality because of what other states allow.

I don't recall the KJ stating that they were separated, maybe I missed that...but if not, you are being disingenuous. But it may not make a difference, because of the NC real estate laws about being married. It doesn't matter whether he bought the house on his own or both of you signing...if you are married, what ever he has in real estate in NC is yours too.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:43 AM

5,898 posts, read 6,966,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
And recently, I heard one of the very best residential real estate attorneys I know proclaim "there is no such thing as a free trader, it hass to be in the separation agreement itself".
I just went through this, and was specifically advised by my divorce attorney (who has 20+ years experience in NC) that I needed the separate Free Trader Agreement to be able to purchase a house during the separation period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina