Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 09:26 AM

460 posts, read 2,422,574 times

Advertisements

True Story not a passed on tale or urban legend.
I was living in NC, I had NJ plates because we were military and our home state was NJ. We had a friend with us from another military base who was looking for a house before he and his family moved to NC. We were in the right lane on 70 slowly about 30 mph in Clayton trying to find a street to turn on. A blue car went flying by us and we went wow. 3 mins later a state trooper in a mustang pulled us over. He said you blew passed me doing 70 mph and my husband said officer I been driving on this road very slowly looking for this cross street I can assure you we have not even done the speed limit. He looked at us walked around the car said , "your not from around here are you?" Wrote us the ticket and said, "if you don't like it you can show up to court"
The ticket said we were driving a blue car, our car was green.
We went to court; me, husband and his friend. I entered the appearance and the DA at the time was not happy. He also said, "your not from around here are you?" (I hate those words so very much) I told him the ticket says BLUE and my car go check me is green and I intended to put me, the husband and the friend on the stand since we were 3 verus mr state trooper who was 1 person and had not locked in the speed on his unit but had just calculated it in his head. I told him he would not win. He said well I can drop it down to 58 in a 45. I said NO! He said let me get back to you and walked away from us. Almost 2 hours later he reapproached us and told us we could go he was dropping the ticket.
I really believe he wanted us to take the lower ticket which I refused to do.
After that I did what my husband did not want me to do I changed my drivers license, registration and our tags and insurance to NC. No one bothered us after that ever.
Now in defense of state troopers everywhere I have "heard" tales of NJ state troopers being really bad to people from out of state. Having grown up in NJ I can tell you I have gotten the rough treatment there myself BUT the "your not from around here are you?" just burns my bacon and I hope when I come back I never encounter it again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina