Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 10:37 AM

195 posts, read 217,327 times

Advertisements

I don't see any property fences. Are they not allowed or is the pictures I see not have them shown? We have dogs, and I would need fences
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2006, 10:43 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
Any particular city, town or county?

Old 05-24-2006, 10:45 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,742,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound4NC
I don't see any property fences. Are they not allowed or is the pictures I see not have them shown? We have dogs, and I would need fences
Most houses don't have fences unless you have a pool. I believe a fence is required if you have a pool.

I know some homeowners have the hidden fences for their dogs, but that may not be something you want to use. Maybe you could build some dog runs or a fenced area for the dogs.
If there is a HOA you will have to see what they allow.

Old 05-24-2006, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b
Any particular city, town or county?
Waxhaw is one..Maybe Lewisville another

Old 05-24-2006, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC
Most houses don't have fences unless you have a pool. I believe a fence is required if you have a pool.

I know some homeowners have the hidden fences for their dogs, but that may not be something you want to use. Maybe you could build some dog runs or a fenced area for the dogs.
If there is a HOA you will have to see what they allow.
I would like a small fence in back yard for kids to go out with the dogs. We have a .5 acre now that is fenced and the kids and dogs love it. So they are allowed?

Old 05-24-2006, 11:17 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
Generally, fences are fine. However, if you choose to live in restricted subdivision, you may be out of luck. Read the fine print to see if you can live with those types of property restrictions. I know I can't.

Old 05-24-2006, 11:21 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,210,054 times
Quote:
I would like a small fence in back yard for kids to go out with the dogs. We have a .5 acre now that is fenced and the kids and dogs love it. So they are allowed?
Coming from California where we fence everything off..then to the Carolinas where everything is open took a little getting use to. While we still don't have a fence I do love the trees that surround our property for privacy. If you purchase a home that is not in a subdivision you can add any type of fence you want (but still check with your particular city codes to be sure)...if you purchase a home that is in a subdivsion you will need to check with your HOA. As the other poster has mentioned a lot of people with animals here do have the invisible fences.

Old 05-24-2006, 11:26 AM

483 posts, read 1,567,304 times
Quote:
I just bought a home in a subdivision in matthews and the 'restricted covenants' states that fences are allowed but they dictate which types you can have. From what I was told, a lot of subdivisions do allow fencing but the type and height is where the restriction comes into play. You may notice most homes without fencing because a lot of homeowners prefer not simply because the property may look nicer without it. If you're looking into a particular subdivision, ask them to give you a copy of the restricted covenants. This way you know what you're up against if you choose to buy. Good Luck!

Old 05-24-2006, 11:32 AM

483 posts, read 1,567,304 times
Quote:
I just bought a home in a subdivision in matthews and the 'restricted covenants' states that fences are allowed but they dictate which types you can have. From what I was told, a lot of subdivisions do allow fencing but the type and height is where the restriction comes into play. You may notice most homes without fencing because a lot of homeowners prefer not simply because the property may look nicer without it. If you're looking into a particular subdivision, ask them to give you a copy of the restricted covenants. This way you know what you're up against if you choose to buy. Good Luck!

Old 05-24-2006, 11:33 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,543,599 times
I agree with lovethecarolinas. Californians are used to being fenced in, unless it's rural land. But having lived in other states, there are many communities where the lack of fencing is sort of "understood". Unless of course the covenants prevent them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina