Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2008, 03:10 PM

2 posts, read 7,777 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm going to be moving to Raeford for about 6 months, from September-Feb. What is Raeford like, is it a safe town to live in? Also what is the best way to sort out accomodation? I'll be coming from the UK so I'm completely out of the loop on what the norm is. Also will I have a problem since I'm from the UK?

From the looks of it I won't be able to buy a car because of the rules and regs, and the cost prevents me from renting one. So will most of the stuff I need be available in Raeford? How much do taxis cost?

Any other tips and advise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 03:29 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,990,758 times
Raeford is a small rural town. Not much to do really. I doubt you will be able to use a taxi very effectively. There is one cab service in town.
Just Right Cab Service

1374 N Main St
Raeford, NC 28376

(910) 848-6166

Buying a cheap used car should be no problem.
If you have a Uk drivers license it is fine
NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles: International Driver License (http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/moving/newnc/internationalDL.html - broken link)

Here is the link to get a NC driver's license. NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles: Applying for a Driver License or Learner Permit?

Here is a link for rental units in Raeford on our local Craigslist classified site

classifieds - craigslist=

Old 07-19-2008, 03:38 PM

2 posts, read 7,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faabala View Post
Raeford is a small rural town. Not much to do really. I doubt you will be able to use a taxi very effectively. There is one cab service in town.
[FONT=Arial]Just Right Cab Service [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]1374 N Main St[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Raeford, NC 28376[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial](910) 848-6166 [/FONT]

Buying a cheap used car should be no problem.
If you have a Uk drivers license it is fine
NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles: International Driver License (http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/moving/newnc/internationalDL.html - broken link)

Here is the link to get a NC driver's license. [URL="http://www.ncdot.org/DMV/driver_services/drivingpublic/applying.html"]NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles: Applying for a Driver License or Learner Permit?[/URL]

Here is a link for rental units in Raeford on our local Craigslist classified site

[URL="http://fayetteville.craigslist.org/search/apa?query=raeford&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max&bedrooms"]classifieds - craigslist[/URL]=
I thought you needed to be a resident, to do the tags, taxes, etc?

Old 07-20-2008, 05:02 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,990,758 times
Straight from the Drivers handbook.

For the first time issuance of a North Carolina identification card, learner permit or driver license, proof of residency is required which must include name and current North Carolina residence address. This is in addition to proof of age and identity requirements. Acceptable documents include the following. NOTE: The proof of residency documents are subject to verifiable authenticity by the Division.
(1) Documents issued by the United States Government or by the government of another nation, such as
  • Military orders
  • Valid passport
  • Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) documents
  • Correspondence from Veterans Administration
  • Matricula Consular from Government of Mexico
  • Correspondence from the Social Security Administration
(2) Documents issued by the State of North Carolina or its political subdivisions (County, city) another State, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico or a U.S. Territory, such as
  • Valid North Carolina vehicle registration
  • Correspondence or a service card from Social Services
  • Property tax statement
  • Library card
  • North Carolina voter registration card
(3) A preprinted bank or other corporate statement (Example: Bank statement)

(4) A preprinted business letterhead

(5) Documents deemed reliable by the Division such as
  • Apartment lease, housing contract, mortgage statement
  • Utility bill (Power bill, cable bill, water bill, etc.) or contract for utility services
  • School records signed by school official, including driver education certificates
  • Computer generated tax record
  • Current life, health, property or automobile insurance policy or binder
  • Letter from homeless shelter
  • Document from Social Services
  • Computer generated check stub
A sworn affidavit may be used ONLY if one of the above documents is NOT available. In the case of a minor, a parent or legal guardian must sign the affidavit. General Statutes requires a $2.00 fee for execution of an affidavit.

------------------------------------------

Even illegal aliens can get drivers license and buy cars in NC so a legal visitor should be no problem.

We have a friend right now who is on a tourist visa and is trying to rent an apartment for 3 months. The problem she is finding is they will do a credit check and if you have no credit record in the US and no Social Security number you won't get approved. What she is being forced to do is pay all the rent in advance to avoid the credit check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina