Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 11:27 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,044,776 times

Advertisements

The latest from NOAA - Issued May 22nd.

NOAA’s 2006 Atlantic hurricane season outlook indicates an 80% chance of an above-normal hurricane season, a 15% chance of a near-normal season, and only a 5% chance of a below-normal season. This outlook is produced by scientists at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's (NOAA) Climate Prediction Center (CPC), National Hurricane Center (NHC), and Hurricane Research Division (HRD). The outlook calls for a very active 2006 season, with 13-16 named storms, 8-10 hurricanes, and 4-6 major hurricanes. The likely range of the ACE index is 135%-205% of the median. This prediction indicates a continuation of above-normal activity that began in 1995. However, we do not currently expect a repeat of last year’s record season.

Last edited by mm34b; 05-22-2006 at 12:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2006, 01:01 PM

787 posts, read 3,588,451 times
I figured as much. But with the season only 9 days away, I would be getting some of the stuff together. You have not lived until you attempt to buy these things once the storm is headed this way. Batteries, Hurricane lamps with oil, and I don't recommend candles because they can tip over and cause a fire easier than a kersone lamp. We bought some of those circular battery operated lights that hang where you put them and all you have to do is push them in and you have light. You might want to consider a generator if you are moving closer to the coast than 75 miles. Power outages could be for a long time if we get a direct hit.

Old 05-24-2006, 01:04 PM

483 posts, read 1,570,595 times
Default Weather in Charlotte area

What is the weather like in the Charlotte area in terms of hurricanes, tornados, etc.? I've heard that ice storms can occur, but haven't heard of anything else.

Old 05-28-2006, 03:30 PM

I think that Charlotte got hit during Hugo in 1989. I don't know exactly how bad it was because I was in the hospital at the time. I know it was suppose to hit Wilmington head on because my BIL and his wife came to were we lived, in Micro, NC (Johnston County) at the time. But I believe it struck further south like perhaps Charleston, SC and because of that, Wilmington was not in the zone as bad as they thought it would be. But seems like in the back of my mind Charlotte had some damage there as well. Charlotte isn't the main hurricane drag and anything coming in is going to be puttered out to a point so I don't see wind damage being a big factor. Now I could be wrong because I don't live there. But I think I would real safer in Charlotte than I would where I am or at the immediate coastal area. I found this link on the storm and it would appear that it hit SC and went inland towards the Charlotte area. But I don't think this was a normal thing year after year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Hugo

Last edited by Bethanytedder; 05-28-2006 at 03:33 PM..

Old 05-28-2006, 03:54 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,482,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdj43
What is the weather like in the Charlotte area in terms of hurricanes, tornados, etc.? I've heard that ice storms can occur, but haven't heard of anything else.

How about one of us springing for a basement home and we can sleep down there. Don't thnk I haven't thought of that. We are going to Charlotte June 16 I sprang for a fortune in airline tickets..............can't back out now. I'm gonna face my fears.....Right Bethany?

Old 05-28-2006, 04:17 PM

195 posts, read 218,488 times
Just ordered ours for Sept!

Old 05-28-2006, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700
How about one of us springing for a basement home and we can sleep down there. Don't thnk I haven't thought of that. We are going to Charlotte June 16 I sprang for a fortune in airline tickets..............can't back out now. I'm gonna face my fears.....Right Bethany?

Hey you are going to be fine. You'll certainly be in a better place than I will be in this season. I was reading the site about Hugo and I saw where they were expecting it to hit Savannah, GA first. I was in the hospital and didn't monitor that one like I do the rest but I know my BIL lives near Wilmington, in fact, I believe he was living in Wilmington at that time. And I was under the impression that they had said it was suppose to hit Wilmington head on. No matter it went to Charleston, SC and caught a lot of people off guard. But had it hit Savannah, it would have been the first one to hit Savannah since 1899 I believe the article read. Hey if you get antsy, all you have to do is PM me. I can talk you down and tell you what to get and all. And remember, you aren't going to get all the mess the ones that closer to that coast get. As for the basement, get a case of diet pepsi and save me a spot. I'll bring the stew beef that I usually make so we can eat of that for few days and some pig picking cake or something. We'll have a hurricane party. Don't fret. I have a feeling that you are going to be just fine. And believe it or not, the experts prefer people like you that are not "use to" hurricanes because they are far more likely to get the heck out of Dodge than someone with "I survived Fran and Floyd" attitude like a lot of people have around here. I wouldn't leave normally for a Cat. 3 but with my respiratory problems are going to make it necessary this year. Last year we got Cat. 1 Ophelia. And as the barometric pressure dropped, my breathing was worse and worse. I ended up in the doctor's office and he sedated me so I could "sleep" through the storm. But it is really scary when you get where you can't breath.

Old 05-28-2006, 05:29 PM

195 posts, read 218,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethanytedder
Hey you are going to be fine. You'll certainly be in a better place than I will be in this season. I was reading the site about Hugo and I saw where they were expecting it to hit Savannah, GA first. I was in the hospital and didn't monitor that one like I do the rest but I know my BIL lives near Wilmington, in fact, I believe he was living in Wilmington at that time. And I was under the impression that they had said it was suppose to hit Wilmington head on. No matter it went to Charleston, SC and caught a lot of people off guard. But had it hit Savannah, it would have been the first one to hit Savannah since 1899 I believe the article read. Hey if you get antsy, all you have to do is PM me. I can talk you down and tell you what to get and all. And remember, you aren't going to get all the mess the ones that closer to that coast get. As for the basement, get a case of diet pepsi and save me a spot. I'll bring the stew beef that I usually make so we can eat of that for few days and some pig picking cake or something. We'll have a hurricane party. Don't fret. I have a feeling that you are going to be just fine. And believe it or not, the experts prefer people like you that are not "use to" hurricanes because they are far more likely to get the heck out of Dodge than someone with "I survived Fran and Floyd" attitude like a lot of people have around here. I wouldn't leave normally for a Cat. 3 but with my respiratory problems are going to make it necessary this year. Last year we got Cat. 1 Ophelia. And as the barometric pressure dropped, my breathing was worse and worse. I ended up in the doctor's office and he sedated me so I could "sleep" through the storm. But it is really scary when you get where you can't breath.
You got me ALL worried too. Geeez! Earthquakes here are rare where I live. Maybe a 3.0 in 4-5 years. Not even a glass broke. Wasn't even sure if it was one or not. To go through this YEARLY...Hummmm

Old 05-28-2006, 05:44 PM

I don't want you to be worried. I want you to be informed and know what to do. If you follow what the authorities tell you, you should be fine. But there is an art to living in a hurricane prone area and you have to respect it because the storm can be predicted to some degree but a lot depends on also which side of the storm you are on when it hits as well. Charlotte doesn't generally speaking get as much wind damage as say even Raleigh. Fran was a fluke too and she was a strong Cat. 3 storm as well. Also Hugo was a Cat. 4 and still was at hurricane strength when it hit Charlotte. It is unusual. I don't think that you have anything to fear if you just do what you are asked to do. If you do have to leave, be sure and take papers showing you are a resident of that area so you can get back in and take your insurance papers with you so if you have damage, you can get an agent on it as soon as possible. Also fill your car up with gas, take out spending money out of the ATM because none of this stuff will work if the area loses electricity. Also check and refill any daily medications. Leaving is a mess sometimes because no one wants to leave unless absolutely necessary. And Savannah residents were kinda put out when they left and nothing happen. I say they got out lucky, period. If it will make you feel any better, I will attempt to see how many hurricanes have actually hit Charlotte in the last 100 years. How's that?

Old 05-28-2006, 05:46 PM

170 posts, read 567,140 times
Hey, can I join the basement party if I bring dessert? Believe me, I'll be looking for a basement when we are house shopping, even though they don't seem that common in NC (at least the houses I've seen online). Heck, I'll even throw the party!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina