Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 11:42 AM

571 posts, read 1,049,597 times

Advertisements

Hi,

To those who have recently moved to NC... are you glad you moved there?... please share your experience... where are you from?.... where do you live now?... why do you like it (or why not)? We plan to move there later this year (Winston-Salem area), and I'm just curious as to what other people think.

Thanks so much to all that reply!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 02:37 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,653,670 times
How recently?

Old 07-06-2008, 12:18 AM

Within the last 2-3 years or so...

Old 07-06-2008, 09:05 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,452,067 times
I moved to the Charlotte area in November 07 from Baltimore. I absolutely love it here. Although I had a splendid house and wonderful friends and neighbors in Baltimore, the every day burdens of living there (crime, high taxes, high utilities, traffic, miserable winters, etc) finally got me.

I was one of the lucky ones, my house sold to the very first person who looked at it and the sale was smooth and quick. I decided to rent here for a year so that I could really be sure that I liked the area and also to take time to look for just the right house here. I am living near Ft Mill but I will probably buy in NC.

No, its not perfect here. There are things I miss. (Crab cakes, museums in DC, proximity to the shore, great hiking trails, etc). I am still feeling my way around here. But the people here are great, the weather is splendid and the taxes are (relatively) low.

I hope you will like it here as much as I do!

Old 07-06-2008, 09:35 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,301,760 times
Best thing I've ever done! Moved to NC from CA a year and a half ago after spending my entire life there. Sure I miss things I am familiar with and mostly my family and friends but as far as how I like it here? It's great! The people are great, the prices are good and the area is beautiful! I don't regret our move here for a minute. Infact my son just moved here in April with his family. They love it here too. My hubbies son moved here 18 years ago and loves it. None of us will ever move back to CA. or any other place most likely. Personally I don't know of many who haven't felt this was a great new home!! Good luck and hope you enjoy NC as much as we have.

Old 07-06-2008, 04:07 PM

4 posts, read 14,107 times
Wink Just moved to NC

My family just moved to N Raleigh from NY and we love it!! I would never let my kids go out when we were there. I have 2 boys 10 and 4. And they are so much happier. The family as a whole is happier. No big rush like back there.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:35 AM

Thank you all for your replys! I read each one several times and I have to say that I feel more positive every day about our decision to move to beautiful NC.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:26 PM

5 posts, read 16,129 times
Hi My husband and I are also thinking about moving to NC, we just don't to which city... I hear a lot about Raleigh... I have 3 boys and live in North Miami Beach, Florida I don't let my kids out, the cost of living is so horrible. I am originally from NYC. I need a change, this forum is great because it gives me a better feeling and don't feel so bad about thinking of moving down there.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:47 AM

635 posts, read 3,091,971 times
We moved from the San Jose, CA area(San Jose/Fremont/Redwood City) about 3 years ago, first for year long rental in Cary, then settling in Sanford.... and we've made our home here, and are very happy with our choice.

If you pin us down on the topic, I'm sure we can find several things we do miss about California, family being a huge issue for my wife. After all, California is a fantastic and unique place in many ways. And if one has made their home there, there will always be memories of good times and places.

But we've found our time here in NC to also be full of good times, fantastic places, and wonderful people. We've made more friends here in our brief 3 years(mostly in the last 1) than in the 10 years I spent living in CA.

A lot of what molds your experience is where you choose to live. We live in a relatively small(population ~30k) city that is also having something of a recently accelerating renaissance in this last decade, so one huge advantage is that we find we can really get engaged with local government and community and make a difference. That is sometimes really hard to do in established and/or larger metro area.

Another advantage that NC has is its diversity, perhaps surprisingly. Some people may assume that NC isn't very culturally diverse, or may make other negative assumptions... but they'd be wrong. NC, especially the Triangle/Triad area, has a wide demographic and is one of the best educated and economically stable areas in the nation. And this is reflected in the populace and statistics such as relatively stable real estate valuations/sales as compared to precipitous declines in other major metro areas across the nation.

NC, or the Raleigh area, certainly isn't perfect... and just like any region, there are likely some areas that are a better fit for some than others. But we've found that the Raleigh area is very nice, the "culture shock" some fear was basically a non-issue, and we're happy with our choice.

If you have the flexibility, I'd recommend renting somewhere you feel comfortable with, then take the time to visit many communities and find a good fit for your permanent home.

Good luck!
Al

Old 07-09-2008, 11:56 AM

170 posts, read 345,848 times
Smile delirious

Been here 6 weeks but started looking for a house a year ago. We finally retired and said bye bye san diego, the dry, scorched, overbuilt, over-hyped place that it really is. Love the genteel southern pace; very respectful. We are adapting to NC, not expecting this lovely state to adapt to us. Love the trees. The people, regardless of how they feel, are polite and genteel. Looked all over the triangle. Hey, lived in NYC, SD, LA etc...don't need the bustle. Moved to Mebane. So we come in several times a week for big culture but come home to a piece of heaven. Love it, could ya guess y'all? Hey, there is culture out here too, big time !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina