Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2008, 09:19 AM

69 posts, read 240,014 times

Advertisements

I want to move southward and have some questions? I love Charleston, SC just for a reference point. The main thing is, I want to live somewhere relatively quiet but need access to somewhat decent public transportation. Either close to the beaches or mountains is desirable. I know this is rare. I have looked a bit into Wilmington, Asheville...A visit is needed for sure, but looking for opinions beforehand.
My girlfriend and I will both be physical therapists in a year or so thus I doubt jobs will be an issue. She is from Illinois, with minimal traffic whereas I am from the Boston area, obviously chaotic!! I want somewhere more chill, yet warm, if you know what I mean. I need to convince her that she would like it down south. As are those in the Midwest, the people in the South are very nice from my experience. What do you all think?
Thanks very much,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 10:04 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,867,976 times
Well, ya got the "you all" thing right, that's a good start. In all probability, the easiest way to convince anyone is to bring her down here. Take a long weekend in the Morehead City, Atlantic Beach, Beaufort area, take seasick pills the day before and the day of, and go out on a head boat fishing for a day. Capt Stacy is in the phone book, as are all sorts of boat charters. Beauford is a nice Seaside village, picturesque, comfortable. Most people down here are friendly unless you give them reason to believe they should not be. It is a nice area, really good seafood. The draw on the N. Carolina coast is the fishing, yes, there is a lot of sand and beach, but no big resorts. We think this to be a good thing. By in large, some will listen politely, but we aren't all that interested in how you did it back home. Trying to change our "quaint local customs" will meet with resistance. What you can not drive, has ferry access and the trip from Duck,(far north) to Southport,(far south) can show you the outer banks and barrier islands. Ocracoke is nice, Nags Head, Kitty Hawk and Jockey Ridge, Kill Devil Hills, Shallote, nice towns with lots of Sand, Sun, and Space. If you are looking for an amusement park, Myrtle Beach is in S. Carolina.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:03 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,123,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptdudeboston View Post
I want to move southward and have some questions? I love Charleston, SC just for a reference point. The main thing is, I want to live somewhere relatively quiet but need access to somewhat decent public transportation. Either close to the beaches or mountains is desirable. I know this is rare. I have looked a bit into Wilmington, Asheville...A visit is needed for sure, but looking for opinions beforehand.
My girlfriend and I will both be physical therapists in a year or so thus I doubt jobs will be an issue. She is from Illinois, with minimal traffic whereas I am from the Boston area, obviously chaotic!! I want somewhere more chill, yet warm, if you know what I mean. I need to convince her that she would like it down south. As are those in the Midwest, the people in the South are very nice from my experience. What do you all think?
Thanks very much,
I fully understand what you mean about Boston as I lived and worked there for five years. This will be a pleasant change for you especially during the winter.

Dusty Rhodes gave you some very good tips and all I can do to add to the mix is to urge you to take her down here for an up front and personal tour of the Carolina Coast. If that doesn't convince her nothing will.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:39 PM

334 posts, read 1,282,922 times
I would love to have a second home between Morehead City and New Bern on the Pamlico Sound. My husband runs a towboat out there that docks at the State Port. He tells me often of the many beautiful boats that travel the Sound. Must be a beautiful sight on beautful sunny days. You LUCKY ducks!

Old 01-23-2008, 05:30 AM

6 posts, read 15,615 times
I think that the Raleigh, Durham, Cary, Morrisville area is great as well, Wilmington is also nice, my son is in college there and being so close to the beach is great, he surfs more than he studys it appears to me.

Last edited by mm34b; 01-23-2008 at 06:20 AM.. Reason: Edited to comply with City-Data's Terms of Service.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:17 AM

69 posts, read 240,014 times
thanks to everyone for the input. The more the better. But we will take a trip down there at some point next year when I am almost done with school and she will probably be sick of MA by then anyway. My devious plan may just work out in the end, haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina