Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 10:48 PM

1 posts, read 974 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am trying to make a move to NC. I have 1 child and a husband. I am a CMA, and CT a RPCA. I am looking to relocate fairly soon..I don't know the first thing to do..I have lived in CT all my life and I don't want to ********** up. If someone could be so kind to explain how rentals are, job market and school systems. That would be awesome. I am in RN school now and I work for a local hospital. I have been in the medical field for 5+ yrs. My husband is in IT and has been doing that for 7+ yrs. We are looking for a change and a new atmosphere to raise our daughter. Only genuine advise please! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 07:42 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwilliams0001 View Post
I am in RN school now and I work for a local hospital. I have been in the medical field for 5+ yrs. My husband is in IT and has been doing that for 7+ yrs.
With the IT job the most likely location for work will be in on of the Triangle cities: Raleigh, Durham or Chapel Hill. Numerous jobs are listed on Indeed.com , although some are duplicates. One approach would be to do contracting work first, and hope that it leads to a full-time job.

For the RN job, I'd suggest finishing your schooling first as it will be much easier to get a job with the RN. There are numerous hospitals in the Triangle, but most require the RN. I would also suggest using Indeed.com to scope out what medical jobs are available, although I suspect most hospitals have their own hiring web sites.

Do some reading in this thread. It does explain the year-round schools which are an option in the Triangle: https://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...des-photo.html

Last edited by goldenage1; 08-04-2015 at 08:43 AM..

Old 08-04-2015, 09:09 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwilliams0001 View Post
Hello, I am trying to make a move to NC. I have 1 child and a husband. I am a CMA, and CT a RPCA. I am looking to relocate fairly soon..I don't know the first thing to do..I have lived in CT all my life and I don't want to ********** up. If someone could be so kind to explain how rentals are, job market and school systems. That would be awesome. I am in RN school now and I work for a local hospital. I have been in the medical field for 5+ yrs. My husband is in IT and has been doing that for 7+ yrs. We are looking for a change and a new atmosphere to raise our daughter. Only genuine advise please! Thank you!
You need to narrow it down from just "North Carolina", since we're a large, diverse state and the job market varies wildly from one part of the state to another--it's not like CT. Rentals, jobs, and school systems aren't the same in every part of the state.

What put NC on your radar to begin with, as opposed to other states? Does either of you have job leads anywhere here?

Old 08-05-2015, 11:17 AM

252 posts, read 275,780 times
I moved to the Triangle from Central NY in 2003, so my perspective will be from observances around the Triangle. The first comment I will make about the job market is how extremely competitive it is. You have to remember we have 4-5 excellent institutions of higher education within a few hours of the Triangle (Wake Forest, UNC, Duke, NCSU, ECU, NCCU). A couple of these institutions are known worldwide for their excellence. So you have competition from that perspective, then you throw in the competition from everyone that has moved here from other parts of the US. Some of those areas are known to have a better overall education standard than what is found here in NC. The last comment I will make is that I found the allegiance to alumni seems to be very strong in the area. I felt that if the manager that was hiring for a position was a NCSU/Duke/UNC alum, the individual hired will also be an alum.

I believe those 3 points make the Triangle area as a whole as competitive of a job market there is anywhere.

Old 08-07-2015, 11:19 AM

8,378 posts, read 4,361,409 times
Depends on the job and the location. NC is a big, diversified state.

Suggest you check Indeed and plug in the location and type of job you are looking for. It will tell you far more than about anything anyone can tell you here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina