Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 12:51 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,353,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You're not a meanie - you're a realist

I always advise people to have a job offer before they move - too risky to do any other way, unless one is just indepentently wealthy!
Or single without dependents and some (legal) means of support!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2007, 02:32 PM

842 posts, read 2,590,817 times
Quote:
Hi Smiths I would encourage you to check out the Charlotte area for sure. NC is a great place to raise kids and the choices they would have for instate college tuition after graduating from a high school here are fantastic! IT jobs are more prevalent here than just about any other part of the state. With your experience you'd stand a good chance in this market. Check out Ajilon Consulting first, they deal with people of your type experience.

There are several nursing school programs too that your wife could apply to. There are many good opportunities in nursing here. Some parts of Charlotte have become too pricey for the average homeowner anymore, and some parts of Charlotte are not seeing any positive growth - so you would want to be careful where you chose to settle. Any idea how much you would want to spend on a home so that I could direct you to the best areas in that price range?
Could you please say which part of Charlotte have become too pricey and which parts are not seeing any positive growth? I would want to spend up to $200K on a home, is that enough to get something in a decent neighborhood? Also, if my wife hangs back to finish school here in NY before we make that move to NC (which could take roughly another 2 years) would that be too late in terms of housing price and opportunities?

Old 01-07-2007, 02:48 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,828,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsinc View Post
Could you please say which part of Charlotte have become too pricey and which parts are not seeing any positive growth? I would want to spend up to $200K on a home, is that enough to get something in a decent neighborhood? Also, if my wife hangs back to finish school here in NY before we make that move to NC (which could take roughly another 2 years) would that be too late in terms of housing price and opportunities?
There are still many areas where $200,000 will buy you a nice home in a good neighborhood. However, things are changing here every year. I personally would not wait two more years to try to buy. Even if you had bought last year you could have gotten more house than you can today. And two years being separated from your family???? That kind of life can be very hard on a marriage. Again, just my opinion, but if you all can't come I'd say don't come at all

In the Charlotte city limits, east and west Charlotte are not areas of positive growth right now. I sincerely hope that in the future that will change, as east Charlotte used to a be a great middle class, close in, location. South Charlotte is just about out of your current price range. There are still buys under $200,000, but not many in areas I would personally live in. Which is unfortunate, because south Charlotte is the nicest part of Charlotte (again, just my opinion!) with the better commutes into uptown. North Charlotte is not really an area I recommend either, though you will see good looking houses on the internet there and think they look amazing for $150,000. The place to look north of the city is actually Huntersville - many homes there in your price range but more commuting headaches.

Hope this helps. Let me know what other questions I can answer for you. I am not a realtor, so I can be more forthright

Old 01-07-2007, 02:55 PM

414 posts, read 1,382,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsinc View Post
The long you wait the less house you are going to be able to buy. Charlotte is going to experience 3-4% gains over the next few years in real estate. Its best that you buy as soon as you can.

Old 01-08-2007, 05:47 AM

842 posts, read 2,590,817 times
Quote:
There are still many areas where $200,000 will buy you a nice home in a good neighborhood. However, things are changing here every year. I personally would not wait two more years to try to buy. Even if you had bought last year you could have gotten more house than you can today. And two years being separated from your family???? That kind of life can be very hard on a marriage. Again, just my opinion, but if you all can't come I'd say don't come at all

In the Charlotte city limits, east and west Charlotte are not areas of positive growth right now. I sincerely hope that in the future that will change, as east Charlotte used to a be a great middle class, close in, location. South Charlotte is just about out of your current price range. There are still buys under $200,000, but not many in areas I would personally live in. Which is unfortunate, because south Charlotte is the nicest part of Charlotte (again, just my opinion!) with the better commutes into uptown. North Charlotte is not really an area I recommend either, though you will see good looking houses on the internet there and think they look amazing for $150,000. The place to look north of the city is actually Huntersville - many homes there in your price range but more commuting headaches.

Hope this helps. Let me know what other questions I can answer for you. I am not a realtor, so I can be more forthright
Do you have any web link of homes in South Charlotte or those suburban areas that are safe and pretty decent to raise kids? There is a website (http://smithjordanrealty.com/) that I was looking at the is run by the sister-in-law of MIchael Jordan, but needless to say there seem to be a lot of highend properties and being that I am not familiar with NC counties and neighborhoods, I am pretty much in the dark ...... any help would be appreciated. In addition, if anyone has a list of Head Hunters that deal specifically with IT related jobs please let me know. In the meanwhile I will search out Monster and Dice. Thanks all for your contribution.

Old 01-08-2007, 06:24 AM

1,895 posts, read 6,174,491 times
I sent you a PM with headhunter contacts

Old 01-08-2007, 07:10 AM

8 posts, read 32,737 times
Aliitle about myself and hubby. We are mid 40's, no kids only our cocker spaniel. We live in Ct and between weather (not this winter though) taxes and cost of living in Ct. I have definitely decided it's time to move. I am basically retired after 20 something years working in NYC garment district (i grew up in Westchester County) and my husband has been an auto tech at the same dealership for 23 years.I do some work as an on-site trade show organizer and travel to do this so wherever I move to doesn't matter so much for my work. My husband is another story since he must find work. Now to my question, at least one of so many.

What are taxes like in NC? We own a 3000 sq foot home now and pay close to $10,000 per year in real estate tax and then must add taxes for our property taxes (vehicles).
Thanks for any help!

Old 01-08-2007, 11:24 AM

1,895 posts, read 6,174,491 times
This is website for tax info. It is listed by county and then municipality, and is amount ber $100 of valuation:

http://www.dornc.com/publications/propertyrates.html

Depending on where you live, you're taxes will probably be less than a third of what you are paying now. Not sure about the car tax though.

I also grew up in Westchester County (Edgemont) -- we've been in the Charlotte area for more than 8 years now...Let me know if I can assist with your relocation, and best of luck to you!

Old 01-08-2007, 11:25 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,023,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unvrknow View Post
Aliitle about myself and hubby. We are mid 40's, no kids only our cocker spaniel. We live in Ct and between weather (not this winter though) taxes and cost of living in Ct. I have definitely decided it's time to move. I am basically retired after 20 something years working in NYC garment district (i grew up in Westchester County) and my husband has been an auto tech at the same dealership for 23 years.I do some work as an on-site trade show organizer and travel to do this so wherever I move to doesn't matter so much for my work. My husband is another story since he must find work. Now to my question, at least one of so many.

What are taxes like in NC? We own a 3000 sq foot home now and pay close to $10,000 per year in real estate tax and then must add taxes for our property taxes (vehicles).
Thanks for any help!
Compared to the rest of the U.S., taxes in North Carolina are neither high nor low. Pretty close to the national average.

Since property tax is a local tax, where you live within NC determines your property tax rate. Hint: You don't want to live in Scotland County.

Last edited by mm34b; 01-08-2007 at 12:50 PM..

Old 01-08-2007, 12:39 PM

17,559 posts, read 39,213,061 times
My property taxes in Asheville are 1% of my assessed value. Maybe that will give you an idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina