Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 05:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,688 times

Advertisements

When dealing with almost any parenting issue where DSS is involved being a parent,grandparent or other the mother of the child or children which is 99% of the time is considered the primary parent. It doesn't matter if the child lives with a grandparent or if your the father supporting or not supporting the child. DSS gives the mother the right to place the child where she wants, As long as a quick background check is determined it safe.Grandparents and fathers neither have any say in the matter,and a lawyer or a change in the way dss operates is your only chance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 01:25 AM

1 posts, read 1,568 times
Unhappy grandparents rights

I have raised my granddaughter for two years and now her mother decides she wants her back and has threatened to not let me see her. I dont understand why the law in nc sides with the mother after all this time and not even goin to do an investigation to see if she is fit. I know she is still on drugs but its the problem of proving it. Its just so unfair.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:02 PM

3 posts, read 4,434 times
I agree totally with you. My son's grandmother isn't physically violent but verbally she is a mess. When he was first born I lived in my owwn place and his father was driving trucks out of town so she said why didn't we come stay with them to save money. At this time the baby father lost his job and was drawing unemployment and I was getting disability from my job which soon got cut off. Her daughter who's all the way in Hawaii started causing problems and I was going to take my son to a shelter until I could get my own place. Well a family member ask us not to go to the shelter come her house until I can get on my feet and the grandmother heard about my plans and told me, her son and my son was in the room she said "All of ya'll get the hell out and ya'll can kiss my ass especially you referring to me. And even not being there they still cause problems in our relationship. So I think I am gonna let this relationship go because my boyfriend, her son can't tell his mother and sister to stay out of his personal life and relationship and I don't want my child around them. Besides she don't care about him. He's been in this world a lil over a year and they don't do **** for him or acknowledge him unless someone is around then they put on a front. My son had a fever 104.2 and the grandfather didn't feel like taking me to take him to the ER and the sister was going right by and would not even drop us off even after hearing the doctor say get him to the ER ASAP. They don't care about nothing or nobody but themselves. No I don't want my child around them type people because I don't want him to think he's better than anyone because the are less fortunate or different colors or anything of that sort

Old 07-14-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam11708 View Post
thanks for the reply. I feel like there should be rights 4 grandparens that want to be a big part of their grandchildrens life.
I don't because some grandparents have bad intentions once they get these rights

Old 07-14-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
This is a double edged sword, and it cuts both ways. We have dear friends that have been through an ugly court battle with his parents, primarily because they didn't approve of the woman he married. The courts ruled against the grandparents, as event he children didn't want to be around them because they were so nasty to their mother. They are both successful professionals, their children are now grown, one in college, the other in grad school, and the children still want nothing to do with their paternal grandparents, yet are close with their maternal grandparents.

If the parent(s) of a child are unfit as parents, then it is up to the courts to decide that, not the grandparents who are too invested to make rational decisions.

I also say all this as the grandparent of two wonderful grandsons. If my behavior or attempts to poison the relationship of my daughter and her spouse, and with the boys, then I do not deserve any legal 'rights' in these boys life. I earn that by my behavior and actions, and with the knowledge that we raised our children right.
I agree 100%. My son's grandmother and aunt are down right nasty and inconsiderate. No I don't want my kid around them if they can't accept me

Old 07-16-2010, 10:12 AM

407 posts, read 660,705 times
Quote:
thanks for the reply. I feel like there should be rights 4 grandparens that want to be a big part of their grandchildrens life.
Well, If we use that logic, then Aunts and Uncles and Cousins and on and on should have rights to.

Grandparents are NOT direct relatives, they have NO part of the creation of that Child. They are not involved in the conception, birth or legally liable for anything.

Do grandparents have to pay grand child support? are they responsible for any crimes the child commits as a minor?

I am sorry, but the fact is that they simply do not have any legal rights OR responsibilities in this issue!

I am sorry if you are upset or dont get to see your grandkids, thats an unfortunate side effect of broken relationships. BUT I will say this. My inlaws are "Good People" in the eyes of most people... family, neighbors, church--- BUT we dont let them see our children much because they are simply NOT good people in our eyes. And WE are the ones in charge of raising our kids.

Old 04-14-2012, 12:10 AM

2 posts, read 2,048 times
Default grandparents

We have been raising our 3 grandchildren for almost four years. We are now in the process of adopting them. The paternal grandparents argue that they have rights to see the kids once this is final. They have choose not to maintain a relattionship with them during these 4 years. I have no intentions to let them when this is final simply because they will only want to so the biological mother can still see them. There are different circumstances to this issue that should be considered. It still should be the rights of the parents. And we are their parents...Too much drama with this family anyway.

Old 04-14-2012, 12:13 AM

2 posts, read 2,048 times
We have been raising our 3 grandchildren for almost four years. We are now in the process of adopting them. The paternal grandparents argue that they have rights to see the kids once this is final. They have choose not to maintain a relattionship with them during these 4 years. I have no intentions to let them when this is final simply because they will only want to so the biological mother can still see them. There are different circumstances to this issue that should be considered. It still should be the rights of the parents. And we are their parents...Too much drama with this family anyway.[/quote]

Old 12-14-2016, 12:22 PM

2 posts, read 737 times
Smile Dealing with dyfs and the state in general

Quote:
I wonder if there is any grandparents out there that cant see their grandbaby and would like to have the nc law changed.

Sorry to hear this for more inout on this matter watch my youtube video to put some insight on the situation, your not alone, we all have to form a group together on matters like these
please feel free to subscribe and share this video with others that have similar situations

P.S. J.Temple

Link Below:
https://youtu.be/aSt7_NMyZrg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina