Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 01:23 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,434,568 times

Advertisements

There are entirely too many parents who think their children are nothing more then a possession. There has been an epidemic of grandchildren and grandparents who have been torn apart. It's just like in a divorce~you either do as I say, or no relationship with the child. You either pay up and give me the $$ I "deserve" or no relationship. Just way too many "It's all about ME" parents out there in the world and I find it appalling that any little excuse is good enough to end a loving relationship.

I can totally understand why the grown grandchildren have no relationship with their Grandparents. What do you suppose was pounded into their heads for the past 20 years? There's a good chance that one of those parents has a personality disorder and those children are well aware that to contact their grandparents would mean torment and banishment for the psycho parent. Of course, it'd have to be banishment from BOTH parents because the sane parent knows the role they're required of playing. That role is total obedience to the disordered spouse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 05:50 AM

1 posts, read 4,106 times
Everything stated above also applies to grandparents. Personality disorders have been around for years therefore, parents who suffer from them also grow into grandparents with personality disorders. People have not changed, it's the laws that have changed.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:25 PM

450 posts, read 2,321,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam11708 View Post
thanks for the reply. I feel like there should be rights 4 grandparens that want to be a big part of their grandchildrens life.
I don't, if each parent has made the decision that there is a compelling reason it's not in the child's best interests. Period.

But if the circumstance is that a divorce or death has occurred and the custodial parent is just refusing to let the other grandparents see the grandbabies then I feel for you but I am not sure it's right that anyone can supercede a parent's decision if it's truly made in best interests of the child. I do know plenty of grandparents who aren't fit to be too involved with their grandkids, as sad as this is to say. I think they should see the grandkids but just not have any rights to see them unsupervised or overnight if the parents don't want that.

I know grandparents who see their grandkids but aren't satisfied that they're not allowed to take them for a week at a time or overnights when they're really little and have wanted to get a lawyer to force this type of visitation, and I am 100% against it. In one case I am thinking of the grandparents are upset not that they aren't allowed to see their grandkids, but that they live far away and the parents won't let them take the kids back home with them- the kids have preschool and school and other things, and also the grandparents I am thinking of are not allowed to drive the kids because they won't use carseats properly. I am totally against people like this having any rights forced on the parents.

Also, people should not use children as pawns. If there is truly no good reason for the kids not see their grandparents and it's just a petty family situation, and the kids want to see the grandparents, then the adults should be able to put it aside and act like adults for the good of the children. I hope I stated this as I meant to...it's late and I'm sleepy..I feel like I am rambling...

Old 09-28-2008, 11:59 AM

144 posts, read 552,328 times
Are grandparents' rights determined state to state? My grandparents live in Colorado. When I was 2 my dad passed away and they petitioned for grandparents rights (we lived in Kansas). The courts said I HAD to go there every summer until I was 12. For the whole summer.

However, I hated it because I didn't have a choice. I couldn't play any summer league sports or go on vacations with friends, or enjoy Table Rock Lake (where we later moved) with my mom's family. After I was 12, I never went back.

It is for that reason that I don't necessarily support grandparents rights. That being said, when I have kids, they will see their grandparents as often as possible.

Old 09-28-2008, 03:59 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,521,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissajo View Post
Are grandparents' rights determined state to state? My grandparents live in Colorado. When I was 2 my dad passed away and they petitioned for grandparents rights (we lived in Kansas). The courts said I HAD to go there every summer until I was 12. For the whole summer.

However, I hated it because I didn't have a choice. I couldn't play any summer league sports or go on vacations with friends, or enjoy Table Rock Lake (where we later moved) with my mom's family. After I was 12, I never went back.

It is for that reason that I don't necessarily support grandparents rights. That being said, when I have kids, they will see their grandparents as often as possible.
That is extreme interference in family by a judge, and an exceptionally selfish position that your grandparents took.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:51 PM

1 posts, read 4,056 times
Today I found out as a grandparent, I don't have rights. I live in NC and I haven't seen my grandkids in almost a year. The young lady who was like a daughter to me got mad with my son and won't let us see the kids. I understand her hurt, but he is a good father. I also know she wants him to hurt, but what about the kids? They love their father, and sources tell me they ask about us all the time. They want you their until you mess up, then they cut you where it hurts. Where is the fairness?

Old 02-02-2009, 04:47 AM

2 posts, read 7,399 times
Default NC also

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Nette View Post
Today I found out as a grandparent, I don't have rights. I live in NC and I haven't seen my grandkids in almost a year. The young lady who was like a daughter to me got mad with my son and won't let us see the kids. I understand her hurt, but he is a good father. I also know she wants him to hurt, but what about the kids? They love their father, and sources tell me they ask about us all the time. They want you their until you mess up, then they cut you where it hurts. Where is the fa
irness?

i also live in north carolina and my daughters rights were took cause she has bi-polar disorder and she would never harm her children . when they took her rights were took . her ex let his new wife adopt the children and they have not let me and my husband see the grandchildren since. i just want to know if anyone could tell me if there are any rights the grandparents have.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:29 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,613,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeann841 View Post
i also live in north carolina and my daughters rights were took cause she has bi-polar disorder and she would never harm her children . when they took her rights were took . her ex let his new wife adopt the children and they have not let me and my husband see the grandchildren since. i just want to know if anyone could tell me if there are any rights the grandparents have.
Why should you have rights? You're not the parent! Sorry, but not all grandparents are as peachy as many of you make it sound. Many are whacks and shouldn't be around kids. Many of them fill the kids heads with garbage and trash talk their parents.

My own mother is not allowed around my kids without me. She was VERY abusive to me growing up. Such as beating me with wooden spoons until they broke and she had to buy more. Why on earth should she EVER be around my kid without me? I won't even let her watch my dogs when I go out of town. I DON'T trust her! I'm sure I'm not the only in the world in this situation. And if she ever sued me for visitation, I would spend every dime I had and move out of state so she couldn't see my kids. It's my job to protect them from the crazies of the world.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:34 AM

983 posts, read 3,987,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeann841 View Post

In NC, grandparents can't fight for visitation rights. It's completely up to the parents.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:31 AM

2 posts, read 7,399 times
ss20ts i am sure i would do the same if i was you . but not all grand parents are that way. my daughter has another child and i watch it all the time for her. i do not tell her how to live her life or how to raise her daughter. i am sorry you have a lot of problems with your mother. god bless you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina