Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 01:04 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,347,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The South =/= the Deep South
What's the difference? Please be specific.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 03:31 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,973,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfx1024 View Post
I suggest that y'all read American Nations by Colin Woodard. He basically split up in to 3 different countries. So basically anything South of Fayetteville and east of Anson County is Deep South, anything east of Forysth County and North of Fayetteville is the Tidewater, and any thing west of Guilford county is called Greater Appalachia.
So where does Charlotte fit in that equation? Probably South Carolina!

Old 07-12-2018, 04:18 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
What's the difference? Please be specific.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_South

Old 07-12-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
The problem with that page is how the I-85 corridor from Atlanta to south of Richmond is basically the same culture.

Old 07-12-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
The problem with that page is how the I-85 corridor from Atlanta to south of Richmond is basically the same culture.
The article gives a few definitions of the Deep South but the one with the most validity IMO is the one that corresponds to the Cotton Belt (and, not coincidentally, demographic maps depicting African American ancestry)--which is basically the coastal plain region in the lower Southern states where slavery was most prominent. Thus, it doesn't include entire states. The I-85 corridor from Atlanta to Richmond isn't within that region.

Old 07-12-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
The article gives a few definitions of the Deep South but the one with the most validity IMO is the one that corresponds to the Cotton Belt (and, not coincidentally, demographic maps depicting African American ancestry)--which is basically the coastal plain region in the lower Southern states where slavery was most prominent. Thus, it doesn't include entire states. The I-85 corridor from Atlanta to Richmond isn't within that region.
I'm familiar with the historical differences of the two regions but what are the differences today? In my present day travels I don't see that much of a difference at all.

Old 07-12-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
I'm familiar with the historical differences of the two regions but what are the differences today? In my present day travels I don't see that much of a difference at all.
The biggest difference is still demographic. The Deep South has tons of small towns and rural areas that are majority Black or close to it. That's not so much the case in the Upper South.

Another difference is that, outside of Florida (which has a different history of development compared to other Southern states), the cities in the Deep South languished after the Civil War while cities more inland that were less dependent on the "peculiar institution" and were rail hubs (Atlanta, Charlotte, Dallas, etc) began to supplant them as the dominant cities of the region. Even today they tend to be the more economically dynamic cities of the South.

Old 07-12-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
The biggest difference is still demographic. The Deep South has tons of small towns and rural areas that are majority Black or close to it. That's not so much the case in the Upper South.

Another difference is that, outside of Florida (which has a different history of development compared to other Southern states), the cities in the Deep South languished after the Civil War while cities more inland that were less dependent on the "peculiar institution" and were rail hubs (Atlanta, Charlotte, Dallas, etc) began to supplant them as the dominant cities of the region. Even today they tend to be the more economically dynamic cities of the South.
I get that the Deep South has a higher percentage of rural blacks but Maryland has a large black population as a whole. Also South Carolina has a new South Region in the form of greenville-spartanburg that is the largest metropolitan area in that state. So just like Georgia, North Carolina, and Florida; South Carolina also has a new South Region that is more dominant than its historical coastal region of Charleston. I get the points that you're trying to make but there are deep south examples of some of these anomalies that you have pointed out.

Old 07-12-2018, 05:39 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,976,558 times
Quote:

What a non sequiter

Old 07-12-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
I get that the Deep South has a higher percentage of rural blacks but Maryland has a large black population as a whole.
Yes it does; it is unique in that it holds the dual distinction of having been a slave state (it is technically a Southern state) as well as a destination state during the Great Migratio--particularly in the Baltimore and DC areas, which is where most of the state's Black population is concentrated till this day. The state's rural Black population is mostly on the Eastern Shore with one county I believe having a majority/near majority Black population.

Quote:
Also South Carolina has a new South Region in the form of greenville-spartanburg that is the largest metropolitan area in that state. So just like Georgia, North Carolina, and Florida; South Carolina also has a new South Region that is more dominant than its historical coastal region of Charleston. I get the points that you're trying to make but there are deep south examples of some of these anomalies that you have pointed out.
Yes, the SC Upstate also lies outside of the Deep South; as I stated earlier, the I-85 corridor (which passes through Greenville-Spartanburg) from Atlanta to Richmond lies outside of the region. Otherwise, there are always exceptions/anomalies with anything and that goes without saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina