Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2019, 09:35 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,877,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.910nc View Post
Most of the cool stuff is mostly going on in Charlotte and Raleigh. It's same old tired baseball development going on in Fayetteville and Greensboro. All the cool office towers are going up in Charlotte and Raleigh. All the other cities in the state are doing the same boring development. It would be nice to see a high rise growing on the coast but Wilmington is not and never will be that kind of city.

Eh not really true tho, live here in Cary but went to school in Greensboro and still visit regularly and it's definitely more than just baseball development, who lot has changed since I moved away 2010, and in regards to fayetteville(grew up in good old fayettenam) that new baseball park was needed downtown, and definitely will spark more developments in downtown fayetteville.

Old 06-09-2019, 01:02 AM

37,903 posts, read 42,060,944 times
Quote:
Most of the cool stuff is mostly going on in Charlotte and Raleigh. It's same old tired baseball development going on in Fayetteville and Greensboro. All the cool office towers are going up in Charlotte and Raleigh. All the other cities in the state are doing the same boring development. It would be nice to see a high rise growing on the coast but Wilmington is not and never will be that kind of city.
It's too bad that you focus solely on new construction when talking development when there's a good bit of redevelopment of historic properties happening across the state which can be just as cool or cooler than new construction. Durham, Winston-Salem, and Greenville have their downtown innovation districts/research campuses that include a good bit of rehabbed historic buildings along with new construction. Other historic buildings in both cities are also being renovated and adaptively reused like the NC Mutual Life Insurance Company building in Durham and the Pepper Building in Winston-Salem which now houses a Hotel Indigo. In the same vein, the BB&T building in downtown Asheville has been gutted and stripped and will house a new hotel and residences. Greensboro is building the state's largest performing arts center and Wilmington is getting lots of riverfront development which has its own cool aesthetic as does some developments in downtown Asheville. New urban parks, greenways, and trails are also being built all across the state which are cool and tends to compliment the (re)development of properties.

Old 06-09-2019, 01:18 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,965,568 times
Quote:
Damn i thought these were pretty cool...

[url=http://cubeupload.com/im/Neonsxt06/f514finalflatweb2.jpg][IMG]

Last edited by YinXyang; 06-09-2019 at 02:00 AM..

Old 06-09-2019, 05:36 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,444,587 times
[quote=DPK;55376393]I feel like we're just recycling things in this thread now. That's from 2018 and I can swear I've seen it in here before.[/quo

Construction will be done around 2030

Old 06-09-2019, 06:36 AM

37,903 posts, read 42,060,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOCitizen View Post
Damn i thought these were pretty cool...

[url=http://cubeupload.com/im/Neonsxt06/f514finalflatweb2.jpg][IMG]

I'd only consider the Tanger Center to truly be cool. The others aren't necessarily uncool but there's not really anything special about them either. Off the top of my head, other recent developments in downtown Greensboro that I'd consider cool aren't even buildings. They would be City Center and LeBauer Parks and the downtown greenway loop.

Old 06-09-2019, 06:57 AM

3,087 posts, read 4,871,741 times
Speaking of interesting buildings, Corning Credit Union opened their new regional office near the intersection of 17th and College in Wilmington last week...

https://www.wect.com/2019/06/05/corn...ce-wilmington/

Old 06-09-2019, 07:10 AM

3,087 posts, read 4,871,741 times
Quote:
Depends on what you consider high rise. In Wilmington 10-13 stories above the river is a high rise...and is impressive in its own right considering the grade difference between the river and 3rd St and the Historic district which restricts the height...which allows you to see the high church steeples and older buildings.

But the 10 story Embassy Suites was finished last year and the 13 story River Place is under construction. 7 story Aloft Hotel and 6 story Pier 33 complex are also under construction...all of which are having a fairly dramatic effect on the Wilmington skyline, which is really a 2 mile long span from bridge to bridge.

Old 06-09-2019, 08:29 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,405,521 times
SouthEnd Charlotte. Spotlight gets taken away from this area due to uptown. But it’s dtartkng to get taller as it runs out of space, and companies are starting to relocate there as it becomes a major office market now.

Lower SouthEnd;

SouthEnd/Lower SouthEnd

There are way too many 4-6 floor apartment buildings going up to know them all, but they’re taking every corner and every piece of space available. The renderings were just a few of the major projects.

There’s a new light rail station planned for SouthEnd, a new pedestrian crosswalk over the light rail in SouthEnd.

The rail trail is activated (greenway through SouthEnd). Tons of retail in SouthEnd, lots of breweries, the retailers that are there are urban formats. There is also a major retail center going in with soft goods and mall-tenant clothing retailers. Harris Teeter, Lowes, Public, Office Depot are some of the other urban format retailers.

Last edited by Charlotte485; 06-09-2019 at 08:44 AM..

Old 06-09-2019, 09:02 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,405,521 times
From Northwood Ravin, Uptown 550 nearly complete

Old 06-09-2019, 03:41 PM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,737,011 times
[quote=CLT1985;55380995]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
I feel like we're just recycling things in this thread now. That's from 2018 and I can swear I've seen it in here before.[/quo

Construction will be done around 2030
That's not the point, we know that the airport construction is happening as it's been posted in this thread several times. Rehashing things over and over again in this thread just drowns out other cool new development news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina