Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2019, 01:33 PM

4,161 posts, read 2,865,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
There’s a difference between saying Lexington’s isn’t nice and Lexington is a global destination and has tourist flocking to the region when that’s not true.
Still doesn’t require a picture of Charlotte’s skyline with caption.

Old 05-12-2019, 02:05 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,036,097 times
Does anyone have any information on how many people live downtown Winston Salem? I always find that interesting. Aside from actual development, the population usually means better amentities and liveliness of a downtown. Gsoboi posted some great pictures of downtown Greensboro vs Durham. Greensboro looks like a nicer downtown from those pictures but to me Durham has always felt more interesting and lively. Even with the train tracks splitting it down the middle. I think a lot of that is due to the population difference. Greensboro is around 2200 I think? Where as Durham I believe is now 5500+. I can't seem to find what that number is for Winston. Would be good to know since WS, Gboro, and Durham are so close in size right now.

Old 05-12-2019, 04:07 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,965,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
My goodness you can’t let a compliment slide.
No, i agree with 485, it does not look like a big city, not in the slightest.

A big city is, boston, minneapolis , dallas, atlanta, seattle. Charlotte Etc.

Those are nice big cities, save for huge metropolis like, Chicago, houston, NY, LA etc.

Greensboro is a nice growing midsize city, but in no way does it even remotely resemble a "big city" maybe if you're on elm street on a saturday at 6pm, just maybe then you will feel like you are in a big city. But only then.

While the central buisness district will change dramaticaly in 3 years, At the moment it's just a nice growing and atractive midsize city. Similar to durham, winston, greenville, sheverport, richmond,orlando etc

And from those mentioned Greensboro only has a 300k plus population and size above the rest, however richmond actually looks like a big established city. A true big city. Only thing richmond is missing is a few skyscrapers. However richmond looks like it has atleast 600-700.000 people.

@DEVAN JAMES LANGSTON

Similar to how cleveland looks like a big city..but only has 85.000 more people than greensboro at 385k.

@Fine Art America

Looks can be completely deceiving.

Last edited by YinXyang; 05-12-2019 at 04:28 PM..

Old 05-12-2019, 04:11 PM

6,164 posts, read 7,243,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOCitizen View Post
No, i agree with 485, it does not look like a big city, not in the slightest.

A big city is, baltimore, minneapolis , dallas, atlanta, seattle. Charlotte Etc.

Those are nice big cities, save for huge metropolis like, Chicago, houston, NY, LA etc.

Greensboro is a nice growing midsize city, but in no way does it even remotely resemble a "big city" maybe if you're on elm street on a saturday at 6pm, just maybe then you will feel like you are in a big city. But only then.

While the central buisness district will change dramaticaly in 3 years, At the moment it's just a nice growing and atractive midsize city. Similar to durham, winston, greenville, sheverport, richmond,orlando etc

And from those mentioned Greensboro only has a 300k plus population and size above the rest, however richmond actually looks like big city. A true big city. Only thing richmond is missing is a few sktscrapers.
Agree, Greensboro is not a "big" city. I think a poster had made a comment that Greensboro is starting to look like a big city. I do think it's fair to say that Greensboro does have bigger city amenities and feel. but at the same time resembles a smaller college town. Puts it in the middle in terms of vibe. "Mid-size"

Old 05-12-2019, 06:55 PM

I really hope the color panels light up at night like on other Aloft Hotels with those panels. That would look so cool at night.

Greensboro's future Aloft

Aloft Riyadh

Aloft Bursa

Last edited by gsoboi78; 05-12-2019 at 07:28 PM..

Old 05-13-2019, 10:11 AM

37,903 posts, read 42,060,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
The first two pictures actually look like the same city if not inspecting it closely.

Wonder if Durham & Winston are growing as much downtown as GSO. We don’t really have any Durham/Winston posters that post regularly about the development
Winston-Salem and Durham were already more developed than Greensboro, so you see a lot of redevelopment of existing structures in those cities as opposed to new construction. But it should be noted that Durham built its downtown PAC and ballpark years ago.

Old 05-13-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Winston-Salem and Durham were already more developed than Greensboro, so you see a lot of redevelopment of existing structures in those cities as opposed to new construction. But it should be noted that Durham built its downtown PAC and ballpark years ago.
Yup. Durham built its ballpark in 1995 long before most cities started building downtown ballparks. However the ballpark design predates how they design the concession layout today. Todays ballparks, the field is visible from the consessions. The performing arts center opened there in 2008.

Old 05-13-2019, 11:35 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,444,587 times
When in Charlotte, Check out the Fahvenheit Restaurant

Photo bt PhillyDog

Old 05-13-2019, 02:23 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,151,046 times
Nice boost for anyone that plays golf as bad as I do. My wayward hook should play nicely off the building and onto the 12th green at Ballantyne.

North Carolina development thread.-x13146-ballantyne-rendering.jpg

Old 05-13-2019, 07:09 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,036,097 times
Coming down Wake Forest Rd is my favorite angle of downtown. Will be nice to see most of the gaps filled in the coming years.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.