Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2019, 09:26 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,034,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
I just read yesterday on DTRaleigh. Mr Kane is getting Smokey Hollow phase 3 zoned for up to 40 stories. If that turns out to be true. Well we all know Kane’s track record.
Yep. They've almost completely demo'd phase 2 already. Will be interesting to see. But if he gets the zoning granted I expect something significant there. Though probably mixed use and not ask office.

Old 01-26-2019, 09:56 AM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,731,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
I just read yesterday on DTRaleigh. Mr Kane is getting Smokey Hollow phase 3 zoned for up to 40 stories. If that turns out to be true. Well we all know Kane’s track record.
Kane continues to impress me. He's really the only local developer in the Triangle that can consistently execute on his vision and projects.

Old 01-27-2019, 07:40 AM

743 posts, read 826,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Well when we have the mega corps that want big office buildings and not the companies that want office parks then maybe we'll look like Charlotte.
Also doesn't hurt that over 50% of all office space is located in Center City & that number is likely to grow higher as Plaza Midwood,NoDa, morph into extensions of Uptown

Old 01-27-2019, 07:51 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,399,515 times
Another poster pointed out this quote from the JLL report talking about office towers U/C in CLT

Quote:

"As a result, 65% of the 3.2 million square feet of new construction is preleased, in one of the largest concentrations of construction of any CBD in the United States.""

https://www.us.jll.com/en/locations/southeast

Old 01-27-2019, 09:15 AM

6,161 posts, read 7,230,579 times
Greensboro developer Roy Carroll is considering building a downtown Greensboro convention center.

Roy Carroll has been the developer behind two major downtown Greensboro developments. First he converted the 16 story old Wachovia Building into a luxury condo highrise tower called Center Pointe. Then he built the Carroll at Bellemeade luxury apartments and Hyatt Place Hotel. Close by he will build a mixed-use residential/office/hotel development and now it looks like he wants to build a convention center.

Carroll's Center Pointe tower where he lives on the top floor. An upscale restaurant occupies the first floor with the Carroll Companies occupying the second floor.

Carroll at Bellemeade luxury apartments / Hyatt Place

Last edited by gsoboi78; 01-27-2019 at 09:26 AM..

Old 01-28-2019, 09:52 AM

186 posts, read 177,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
Put the demand in downtown office space and maybe you can get a new tall if all the nimbys can be quite.
It is hard to understand how developers can build high at North Hills but downtown is treated another way about how high you can build.
I don't know if I can address this properly, but I will try. North Hills East was zoned years ago, before the Raleigh 2030 plan was approved. The city council approved the zoning for NHE for up to 365ft/35 floors, whichever comes first - it was approved as a Planned Development, therefore Kane was able to get his zoning without much trouble.

Fast forward years later, when the Raleigh 2030 plan was approved [unfortunately]. Downtown was re-zoned to allow mostly for 12- and 20- story buildings in areas that were zoned for taller buildings. For example, the 301 Hillsborough parcel, which was previously zoned for up to 40 stories. Developers can certainly apply for re-zoning, but from what I know it's not a process most developers want to go through, as they will have to go through a lot of back and forth to satisfy the city's "demands". Which is probably why we see more activity on the fringes of Downtown, where rezoning from 5 to 20 floors is actually making it a worthwhile effort. Probably the reason why we'll see more boxy buildings taking up large parcels. Thankfully, the city allowed buildings up to 40 stories to be built along Fayetteville, Salisbury and Wilmington Streets, but that forces a linear skyline pattern that I am not a big fan of. To be fair, the Fire Dept has more to do with the 40-story limit than the city council.

Lastly, the NIMBYS have little saying over heights when it comes to the CBD, so I do not expect any resistance with regards to taller high-rises. Of course, once all those 10-20 story proposals materialize, it will be hard for anyone to complain over a 30-40 story building, in the future. Our biggest problem is that larger corporate entities have yet to warm up to Downtown Raleigh. Red Hat was our last big hope and they ended up sub-leasing space in an existing buidling. If I showed you the renderings for the Site 2 proposal for Red Hat, you would cry Two superior, IMHO, ideas that Red Hat made a huge mistake not to approve; sorry, I can't share those renderings RBC Centura had merely 500 people in their HQ, yet we got a 32-story out of that relocation, but it will not be the same with Advance Auto Parts - less than 500 people during the next 5 years isn't much to talk about, outside their Fortune 500 status. First Citizens Bank would be the only hope for Downtown Raleigh to get something tall and iconic, but they seem to be happy in North Hills. It's going to be an uphill battle for getting skyscrapers in Downtown Raleigh, but I think there are a lot of substantial developments in the pipeline that will densify the center and improve the street-level experience; very important for any true revitalization effort.

Old 01-28-2019, 03:57 PM
C85

20 posts, read 25,818 times
Legacy Union is 632 feet it has 33 floors. 632/33 is 19.181818 x 40 is 767 feet so you never know what 40 floors could get you.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:08 PM

808 posts, read 690,994 times
Charlotte Biz Journal is reporting that Beacon Partners has replaced Pappas Properties as the developer of the as-yet undeveloped land next to the Scaleybark Light Rail Station. Plans include "north of 500,000 square feet of creative office space, 30,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space, 350 multifamily units and a 150-room boutique hotel."

Construction expected to begin this summer.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlott...d-another.html

I am having trouble getting the rendering posted, but it looks like a mix of the Rail Yard and Refinery projects that are both nearing completion.

Old 01-28-2019, 05:06 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,442,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighmsa View Post
I don't know if I can address this properly, but I will try. North Hills East was zoned years ago, before the Raleigh 2030 plan was approved. The city council approved the zoning for NHE for up to 365ft/35 floors, whichever comes first - it was approved as a Planned Development, therefore Kane was able to get his zoning without much trouble.

Fast forward years later, when the Raleigh 2030 plan was approved [unfortunately]. Downtown was re-zoned to allow mostly for 12- and 20- story buildings in areas that were zoned for taller buildings. For example, the 301 Hillsborough parcel, which was previously zoned for up to 40 stories. Developers can certainly apply for re-zoning, but from what I know it's not a process most developers want to go through, as they will have to go through a lot of back and forth to satisfy the city's "demands". Which is probably why we see more activity on the fringes of Downtown, where rezoning from 5 to 20 floors is actually making it a worthwhile effort. Probably the reason why we'll see more boxy buildings taking up large parcels. Thankfully, the city allowed buildings up to 40 stories to be built along Fayetteville, Salisbury and Wilmington Streets, but that forces a linear skyline pattern that I am not a big fan of. To be fair, the Fire Dept has more to do with the 40-story limit than the city council.

Lastly, the NIMBYS have little saying over heights when it comes to the CBD, so I do not expect any resistance with regards to taller high-rises. Of course, once all those 10-20 story proposals materialize, it will be hard for anyone to complain over a 30-40 story building, in the future. Our biggest problem is that larger corporate entities have yet to warm up to Downtown Raleigh. Red Hat was our last big hope and they ended up sub-leasing space in an existing buidling. If I showed you the renderings for the Site 2 proposal for Red Hat, you would cry Two superior, IMHO, ideas that Red Hat made a huge mistake not to approve; sorry, I can't share those renderings RBC Centura had merely 500 people in their HQ, yet we got a 32-story out of that relocation, but it will not be the same with Advance Auto Parts - less than 500 people during the next 5 years isn't much to talk about, outside their Fortune 500 status. First Citizens Bank would be the only hope for Downtown Raleigh to get something tall and iconic, but they seem to be happy in North Hills. It's going to be an uphill battle for getting skyscrapers in Downtown Raleigh, but I think there are a lot of substantial developments in the pipeline that will densify the center and improve the street-level experience; very important for any true revitalization effort.

Thank you

Old 01-28-2019, 06:56 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,149,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas_n View Post
I am having trouble getting the rendering posted, but it looks like a mix of the Rail Yard and Refinery projects that are both nearing completion.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina