Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2018, 03:33 PM

6,161 posts, read 7,236,700 times

Advertisements

Agreed. Downtown Greensboro has more of an active "strip" where Downtown Durham has active districts. Greensboro is making some progress expanding activity beyond Elm/Greene Streets in the ballpark area. And in the southwest corner of downtown.

Old 12-10-2018, 04:25 PM

37,896 posts, read 42,027,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrckmtthws View Post
I disagree with this since I used to live in greensboro and still visit regularly, downtown durham is def larger than dt gboro. along with main st, you have central park district, golden belt, bright leaf square, the tobacco campus. I like both but I just can't see anybody that's walked both of them saying that dt greensboro is bigger.
At first I thought I was missing something. I was in downtown Durham earlier this year for the first time in several years and was quite impressed with how it has developed over the years. I'm more familiar with downtown Greensboro and was there earlier this year also, and downtown Durham certainly feels more developed and active. The official boundaries of a downtown are somewhat like the official boundaries of a city in that they can be arbitrary and not always reflective of the feel on the ground, and that can be a misleading way to compare the size of peer urban cores.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:29 AM

2,414 posts, read 2,710,152 times
650 S. Tryon confirmed in Charlotte with an anchor tenant, getting momentum going. Big 4 audit and tax firm Deloitte will take 90,000 square feet in the building. It will rise next to the under construction tower anchored by Bank of America at Legacy Union and across the street from the new Ally Charlotte Center tower and JW Marriott.

The building will be 18 stories, have 362,000 square feet of office space, around 11,000 square feet of retail space, and deliver in Q4 2020. They have started site preparations for construction.

“This move reflects an exciting new chapter in our rich Charlotte history,” said Theresa Drew, managing partner for Deloitte’s Carolinas practice, in a statement. “It also communicates our commitment to Charlotte and being part of an urban hub that is exciting, sustainable and livable.”

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/ne...222909465.html

Old 12-11-2018, 07:58 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,035,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
650 S. Tryon confirmed in Charlotte with an anchor tenant, getting momentum going. Big 4 audit and tax firm Deloitte will take 90,000 square feet in the building. It will rise next to the under construction tower anchored by Bank of America at Legacy Union and across the street from the new Ally Charlotte Center tower and JW Marriott.

The building will be 18 stories, have 362,000 square feet of office space, around 11,000 square feet of retail space, and deliver in Q4 2020. They have started site preparations for construction.

“This move reflects an exciting new chapter in our rich Charlotte history,” said Theresa Drew, managing partner for Deloitte’s Carolinas practice, in a statement. “It also communicates our commitment to Charlotte and being part of an urban hub that is exciting, sustainable and livable.”

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/ne...222909465.html
They get their name on the building for 90k sqft? Dang.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:17 AM

37,896 posts, read 42,027,746 times
Charlotte's skyline certainly has no shortage of blue glass, I can say that much.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:34 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,393,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
They get their name on the building for 90k sqft? Dang.
Leasing 25% will usually get you naming rights. Thats not unusual.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:32 AM

2,414 posts, read 2,710,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Plus being first tenant (getting to 25% helps make financing the building easier) and leasing the top floors. The article didn't mention naming rights though. It looks like the building will still go by 650 S. Tryon, with Deloitte having signage rights at the top of the building. Ground level signage and the building name will likely reflect 650 S. Tryon (or whatever they name the building).

Charlotte Plaza tower has a similar situation. The tower's name is "Charlotte Plaza" at the street level, elevator banks, hallway signage, lobby, etc... but audit firm GrantThornton was granted signage on top of the building.
https://www.charlotteplaza.com/

Old 12-11-2018, 11:35 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,393,114 times
Quote:
Plus being first tenant (getting to 25% helps make financing the building easier) and leasing the top floors. The article didn't mention naming rights though. It looks like the building will still go by 650 S. Tryon, with Deloitte having signage rights at the top of the building. Ground level signage and the building name will likely reflect 650 S. Tryon (or whatever they name the building).

Charlotte Plaza tower has a similar situation. The tower's name is "Charlotte Plaza" at the street level, elevator banks, hallway signage, lobby, etc... but audit firm GrantThornton was granted signage on top of the building.
I wasn't clear...i meant "name on building" not "naming rights".

Old 12-11-2018, 01:29 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,035,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
I didn't know that. Seems odd since theoretically a company could come in and need the other 270k.

Quote:

But you're right. That further explanation actually does make sense now that I think of it. Charter Square south has a name at the top that I can't remember right now but that didn't grant them naming rights. The building is still called Charter Square.

Old 12-11-2018, 02:15 PM

186 posts, read 177,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
400H, Edison, and 301 are all supposedly starting in 2019. You guys are underestimating the impact I think. No they're not 500ft tall but there are going to add infill and stretch the skyline closer and closer to Glenwood district. The aerial pictures and view from I40 will have a significant impact in making downtown seem much larger. I personally would rather have a skyline view that properly shows downtowns extension for blocks and blocks then making it look like we have a tall cluster on only 6 or 7 blocks. Even the shorter Glenwood towers and Peace are doing a good job of that. Kind of providing a bookend. Helping connect all of downtown with more density outside of the compact Fayetteville district development.
I agree about the impact, and looking at some recent photos I took from Dorothea Dix campus/park, I think that the overall skyline boost along Hillsborough Street (Downtown section) will help a lot. Entering Downtown Raleigh from Hillsborough Street will definitely create a positive experience. At the same time, I do not want to have blocks upon blocks where the maximum height will be 20 floors either. Remove the height limits East of Glenwood Ave and West of Person Str (with the exception of truly transitional areas) and let the market decide about the height. Aesthetics and street level should be scrutinized, though, IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.