Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 11:17 AM

983 posts, read 1,639,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_native View Post
gone are the conspiracy theories about the general assembly deciding the race.

The most interesting part will be the (removed: special) court packing session coming up.
ftfy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 11:30 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,654,330 times
What about the coal ash President soon to take office?

Old 12-05-2016, 11:31 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,417,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
What about the coal ash President soon to take office?
No implication for the NC governor's race.

Old 12-05-2016, 11:36 AM

599 posts, read 403,280 times
Where will Pat McCrory do now? Head back to Duke Energy?

Old 12-05-2016, 11:38 AM

23,816 posts, read 34,780,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I think the NCGA may be more likely to compromise with Roy than they were with Bev because they have seen Pat lose and they are well aware of the voters' disapproval of him and the policies under his administration. They rode the Tea Party wave into office, but there is no Tea Party wave now. With the court order to redraw the districts their jobs are on the line again sooner than they expected. If they don't play halfway nice with Roy some of them stand a real chance to be looking for new jobs alongside Pat.

We need government that can listen to the people and compromise on legislation. Pat's administration just rammed legislation through. The people of NC don't want that and that's why Pat got the boot.
I tend to agree.

I suspect that HB2 was karma coming home to roost for Pat. It was a sign of where he was going when he installed Art Pope at an inflated salary because, after all, he's rich & therefore should be paid more.

I think that HB2 was the last straw for a lot of people who got the shaft from the so-called tax cut.

Keep in mind the old saying, all politics are local.

Also keep in mind that Tim Moore is my representative. He could have reigned in the crazies but he didn't. He let them have at it. I will also say that l have only heard one individual around here say that they did not hate HB2. None of the locals here blamed Tim Moore for it. They all blamed McCrory.

Old 12-05-2016, 11:45 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,747,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroZach View Post
Where will Pat McCrory do now? Head back to Duke Energy?
I don't think he has worked for them since before he ran against Beverly Perdue in 2008.

Maybe he will go back as political commentator on WCNC's Flashpoint as he did from '08-'12

Old 12-05-2016, 11:47 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,234,559 times
What I expect from Cooper with a supermajority Republican GA:
1. To use the bully pulpit of his position to bring balance publicly to the issues and laws being considered. As the AG, he was the only one with a real voice from the other side but now he's one of three with the new AG and Democratic majority State Supreme Court. The threat of a new round of elections after redrawn districts may make the current GA a bit more willing to compromise. We shall see....
2. To partner with his Democratic AG to challenge the laws that are constitutionally questionable either at the State or at the Federal level. Use the bully pulpit to explain the wasted tax payer money on such questionable laws and constitutional amendments.
3. Be a voice of balance for NC externally that better represents the balanced state that NC is rather than the hard right state its government has served up in the last 4 years.
4. Repair the State's brand as best he can.
5. Just being installed as Governor will go a long way to restoring the brand nationally if you ask me.

Old 12-05-2016, 11:49 AM

I didn't vote for McCrory. I didn't vote for Cooper either. He's cut too much from the corrupt Hunt/Easley/Perdue class of crooked politicians.

I think two things cost McCrory dearly. His support for HB2 and his refusal to intervene in the I-77 toll project which cuts right through a very Republican part of Mecklenburg & S. Iredell Counties.

Old 12-05-2016, 11:50 AM

I fully expect that Cooper won't get anything accomplished since he really has no power over the GA. The GA will continue to do as it pleases as long as it has a veto proof majority over Cooper.

About the only change that will happen is that McCrory's political hacks in the NCDOT and other agencies will be replaced by Cooper's political hacks.

Old 12-05-2016, 11:56 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,989,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I didn't vote for McCrory. I didn't vote for Cooper either. He's cut too much from the corrupt Hunt/Easley/Perdue class of crooked politicians.

I think two things cost McCrory dearly. His support for HB2 and his refusal to intervene in the I-77 toll project which cuts right through a very Republican part of Mecklenburg & S. Iredell Counties.
agreed people dont seem cognizant of the type of corrupt ossified democratic structure we had in office

Pat all in all was a pretty good guy he just carried too much water for extreme GA

No one likes cooper
No one knows anything about cooper
Cooper proposed no policies

He was just the "not pat"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina