Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 11:23 PM

3 posts, read 2,783 times

Advertisements

Hello, my husband is PCSing to Fort Bragg. We will be moving there beginning of 2017. I am currently in research mode to find the safest possible community, if we decided to live off base. I'm use to living in a extremely low crime area, where everyone knows everyone and everything. We have 4 small children, 3 in elementary school. We enjoy biking and taking walks. Enjoy being outdoors.

-Where you are working - Not sure what gate would be closest to his station, but Fort Bragg
-How much you are willing to spend on housing - Would like to stay in BAH rates so hopefully no more than $1,000.00 a month
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate - He would like to be within bicycle distance
-If you have kids: Private school or public school? - Public school if I decide not to home school
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight? - The main thing is safety, a kid friendly neighborhood
-Community amenities important to you - Fairly close to a grocery market, safe park for kids, good walking/biking paths

Not sure what else would be needed to be helpful. I've been looking at Lillington, Hope Mills, Spring Lakes areas. They are a little above price range, but seem to have good reviews.

Also what is the weather like? Especially around January/February?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 04:17 AM

13,394 posts, read 27,299,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antikorper View Post
I'm use to living in a extremely low crime area, where everyone knows everyone and everything. We have 4 small children, 3 in elementary school. We enjoy biking and taking walks. Enjoy being outdoors. .......
Also what is the weather like? Especially around January/February?
Given all the factors you mention, I suggest you live on base. As many previous posters say, the areas close to base are not very attractive, or are dangerous. I would not recommend riding a bicycle to work because of aggressive drivers.

The weather in Jan and Feb can be snowy and icy or it can be mild and rainy.

Old 10-06-2016, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antikorper View Post
We have 4 small children, 3 in elementary school. We enjoy biking and taking walks. Enjoy being outdoors.
If you want to live off base, then the Eastover Elementary School district gets the best ratings. But then, I am not sure the husband would be in biking distance of work. The house rents in Eastover are $1300-1800/month.

Old 10-06-2016, 05:56 AM

6,437 posts, read 5,590,005 times
"Living in an extremely low-crime area" and "living off-base very close to Ft Bragg"......are unfortunately mutually exclusive. Agreed that you'd be best served staying on-base

Old 10-06-2016, 06:04 AM

Another more affordable option for off-base housing is the Rockfish-Hoke Elementary School district in Raeford. Raeford is in Hoke County and has decent schools. House rents are $900-1125/month. But again, I'm not sure it would be safe or convenient to bike to work.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:32 AM

3 posts, read 2,783 times
Thank you for your replies.

Yes I'm wanting to stay on base, he however thinks that we would save money by living off base. But considering horror stories I've heard about Fayetteville it's in our family's best interest to stay on base in this particular area. I'm hoping some of your responses will help sway him in that direction.

Old 10-10-2016, 01:43 PM

3 posts, read 2,959 times
Please start reading the news stories from local media sites and show them to your husband. Use google to see what media covers that market. I read news from wral.com for Raleigh. News for Fayetteville is usually a shooting. Crime may be high in that area.

Old 10-11-2016, 04:59 AM

Here's an additional resource for finding off-base rentals. I have set it up for a budget of under $1000/month rent. Many of the homes are owned by military families and you can assume they are in safe areas. (BTW, the Jack Britt High School is very good.) Some are 10-20 miles away and not close enough for a bike commute. In any case, it is a sample of what's available: http://www.militarybyowner.com/homes...pe2=For%20Rent

Old 10-11-2016, 07:29 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,459,363 times
Fayetteville has many nice areas. I grew up there. It has its share of problems, especially currently from Hurricane Matthew, but I know a lot of military families who live in Fayetteville and enjoy it. Personally, I would not want to live in Spring Lake (ugly, unless you're talking about Anderson Creek Club, and that's not my speed) or Lillington (way too small), or Hope Mills, but some folks do like it there. If you're considering a longer commute you might look at Pinehurst, which is a very nice community.

I would look in Fayetteville first, though. Neighborhoods like VanStory Hills, Kings Grant, Huntington Park are all fine. If you can stay fairly close to the All American Expressway you can be at Bragg very quickly (10 min by car). VanStory Hills Elementary is a good school as is Terry Sanford High School.

Google Street Views
Huntington Park: https://goo.gl/maps/Ev4ckDTbkv32
VanStory Hills: https://goo.gl/maps/BLrCymgtB3S2
Kings Grant: https://goo.gl/maps/Ebyj9YoaSgJ2

There's not a great cycling community in Fayetteville that I'm aware of. I've certainly never seen many cyclists there compared to in the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill). If he wants to bike he may want to stay on base. I don't know how the base housing is now, but it used to be not that great. I imagine they have made a lot of improvements and probably some new housing areas, too, though.

Last edited by poppydog; 10-11-2016 at 08:00 AM..

Old 10-12-2016, 09:39 PM

983 posts, read 4,004,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
If you want to live off base, then the Eastover Elementary School district gets the best ratings. But then, I am not sure the husband would be in biking distance of work. The house rents in Eastover are $1300-1800/month.
Actually, District 7 Elementary in the Wade Community is a better school...I've worked in both...there's a lot of discension at Eastover this year with the principal--a majority of the teachers transferred schools at the end of the year due to it. District 7 has much better test scores and is a FABULOUS little school. Both schools are in the Cape Fear School district, and Mac Williams & Cape Fear are great!

A LOT of military people live out in the Wade area. It's a little further of a drive, but totally worth it for te community and the schools....and houses might just a tad cheaper than Eastover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina