Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2011, 11:09 PM

2 posts, read 4,331 times

Advertisements

I responded to a rental ad in French, admitting that I am in the process of learning the language, and got no response. I sent another response to the ad, this time omitting the details about learning the language, and then got a response. I would like to see this apartment in person, but I would also want to know whether or not the communication barrier may be preventing this from happening. Is it a good idea to have a fluent speaker be with me during my search?

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 03-31-2011 at 06:43 PM.. Reason: Fixed grammatical errors; added a question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 07:35 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,091,251 times
Sounds like an issue with that particular landlord.

Most landlords in Montreal are used to dealing with people who speak Haitian Creole and French as a second language, Wolof and French as a second language, Urdu with English as a second language, Arabic with French as a second language, Hindi with English as a second language, Spanish with French as a second language, etc., or even a mix of several of the above.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:29 PM

2 posts, read 4,331 times
Thanks. I'm definitely treating it as if it were an isolated incident. One thing I learned is that it's probably a better idea to phone and visit the same day than through e-mail, to get more immediacy in the response. As long as the language barrier doesn't prevent that, I'll feel comfortable with this approach.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,959 times
Default Single Female Moving to Montreal

Hello,

I am moving to Montreal this summer and was wondering on apartment rentals.

I am 30 years old and work as a Network Engineer, i would like some where urban but not too expensive and preferably in an anglophone neighborhood since as my French is still at the intermediate level. Can anyone give me some pointers??

Old 05-09-2011, 08:39 PM

9 posts, read 69,654 times
If the landlord did not answer you because you don't speak french well, how will they interact with you once the lease is signed? They can't wait until your french get up to par to tell you they need to inspect your apartment. This being said, I strongly believe it is an isolated case as most people understand english. It does really depend on what part of town you're trying to rent. What are you looking for?

Hi Silvestres, I think you should create a new post for your question. You will get a lot more useful answers =)

Old 05-10-2011, 05:44 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,369,632 times
Be aware that in Quebec there is a certain Minority in the French community that just dont like English and even though they understand the language they some times refuse to speak to Anglo's in English even though they know the Anglo cant speak French..Grumpy lot..

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 05-10-2011 at 08:13 PM..

Old 05-10-2011, 09:22 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,537,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvestres View Post
Hello,

I am moving to Montreal this summer and was wondering on apartment rentals.

I am 30 years old and work as a Network Engineer, i would like some where urban but not too expensive and preferably in an anglophone neighborhood since as my French is still at the intermediate level. Can anyone give me some pointers??
Urban and Anglo? You'd do well in Cote-des-Neiges, although it can get fairly pricey. St. Laurent is cheaper but a little less urban and a little less Anglo (like maybe 25%). You could also move into the McGill University Ghetto, the area of town by McGill. Right smack dab in the middle of the city, very Anglo, very young. Not a great place for a family, but if you're a young, single guy it's not a bad way to go and it's not that pricey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal