Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 12:13 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,853,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
I'm as critical of this GA as anyone.

But let's not make the same mistake that all the northern cities have made with their untenable retirement benefits. That said, I hope they couple the legislation with pay increases so that employees can live AND save money... Like the rest of us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulfpack
We were paying for healthcare of people that we no longer employed? What the what? That's some primo cush benefits. I wish my job offered that. I guess tax money goes a lot farther than honest revenue.
I hope you are aware that NC State employees' retirement is largely paid for BY THE EMPLOYEES in the form of 6% off the top of every paycheck. So as low as some salaries sound, the take-home is actually 6% less than that BEFORE taxes!

This is not the case of the whole state having to pay exorbitant taxes to fund outlandish teacher/public servant retirements like in the Northeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 02:07 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,205,563 times
Out of curiosity, what are police officers and firefighters being asked to give up? Also, are they going to be asked to work until they are 65 as well like Vulfpeck suggests for teachers?

Although I do not have any healthcare or pension waiting for me at the end of my career, I also get paid a whole lot more than teachers and many state workers. I am not bitter that they get pensions and benefits in their retirement. I don't subscribe to the "race to the bottom" mentality or equal misery for all.
That said, I also don't like the idea of state employees working two government jobs for 20 years each and then drawing two pensions. I think that there should be one pension that's based on the total years in public service. I am not sure how NC works in this regard but I hear stories all the time about these dual career double dippers in other places. I also personally know retired police personnel who are living quite well after retiring in their 40s.

Old 06-02-2016, 03:07 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,009,483 times
There's something inherently wrong with taking money from the the majority of taxpayers, who won't be able to retire until age 65 or beyond, to pay for early retirement for state employees.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:08 PM

1,120 posts, read 1,214,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulfpeck View Post
There's something inherently wrong with taking money from the the majority of taxpayers, who won't be able to retire until age 65 or beyond, to pay for early retirement for state employees.
Encouraging long tenured employees to retire is done for the tax payers benefit. Think of it as a buyout. Out with the old and in with the new. Think it through and look past the jealousy. Or apply for a state job.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:13 PM

1,120 posts, read 1,214,086 times
Quote:
If you think teachers deserve higher average pay than police officers, I suggest you ride along with one. It can even be a female officer since you want to make it about gender.
Deserve? This is America Jack! It ain't about deserve. It's about what the market will bear.

They both deserve more than they will ever get.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
Deserve? This is America Jack! It ain't about deserve. It's about what the market will bear.
If you're going to pretend government monopoly operates within the free market, then you should be perfectly happy with the pay teachers were already receiving. They weren't leaving the state or profession.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Encouraging long tenured employees to retire is done for the tax payers benefit. Think of it as a buyout. Out with the old and in with the new..
$65,000 average pay for teachers seems unnecessarily high to me. Most people don't make that ten years in to a private sector profession, even with secondary education. Typical private benefits aren't nearly as egregious. Probably because businesses can't generate additional revenue at gun point like government can.

Quote:
Think it through and look past the jealousy. Or apply for a state job.
If government jobs are what one must aspire to, then public spending is out of control.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:00 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,587,411 times
Quote:
Outrage over shifting responsibility for retirement funds? It appears that the whiners are running out of things to complain about.

The raise the senate put forward would ensure that teachers hit the top of the state's teacher salary scale within fifteen years and would bring the average salary to more than $54,000 in two years.

That would make North Carolina's teacher pay the highest in the Southeast and 24th in the country.

It must suck waking up every morning looking for the storm clouds in every silver lining.
you don't have a clue buddy. My wife is a teacher, has been for the last 15 years here in NC. I've been a fine dining waiter for most of that time, and I make more than her, and my health insurance is just as good. Even after this raise I'll make more than her. that's a crime. Either you don't have children, that need an education, or you're a clueless jerk.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:07 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,587,411 times
Quote:
Why not start at $100,000 and work up from there?

That's the problem with government jobs. True value has to be guessed at and pay scales are set arbitrarily. I would put teachers somewhere below police officers, but above social workers.

Also, if we're talking about yearly salary, wouldn't $54,000 for 9 months of work equate to $67,500 for the 12 months most other government employees are working? I'd imagine teachers could find additional work those 3 months and bump their income up substantially if they were so inclined. Most every other yearly salary figure we have to compare against would not be careers with that option.
you are so clueless. It's clear you don't have kids, and if you do your wife does everything while you do nothing with your children. If you don't have kids you need to, if you can find a woman that can stand you long enough for you to deposit your sperm into her. then maybe you will know what it's like

Seriously you think teachers just rank above social workers, but below police officers. What could be more important than education? Seriously read what you wrote. After that, try and comprehend what you wrote.(I know if can be tough but try) It's people who think like this, that keep electing these morons back into office.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
you are so clueless. It's clear you don't have kids, and if you do your wife does everything while you do nothing with your children. If you don't have kids you need to, if you can find a woman that can stand you long enough for you to deposit your sperm into her. then maybe you will know what it's like

Seriously you think teachers just rank above social workers, but below police officers. What could be more important than education? Seriously read what you wrote. After that, try and comprehend what you wrote.(I know if can be tough but try) It's people who think like this, that keep electing these morons back into office.
I'm sure you and your wife are lovely people. I can't imagine why you don't make more money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina