Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 06:54 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,535,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
No they sure will not bump up their speed to ensure QoS, but if you have the proper equipment that can suck every last ounce of bandwidth out of them, you're more likely to maintain what you're paying for during peak times and enjoy higher speeds during off-peak hours.
That's all a moot point that doesn't really have much to do with the argument in this scenario with NS, because he said he signed up for 50Mbps last year, and thus, received a modem that would handle 50Mbps. He didn't start receiving 300Mbps until he upgraded his modem, thus, when the service got upgraded. He said he pays for 50Mbps, but gets 300Mbps. Which was a misleading statement because of the quote below.....

Quote:
The speed has changed since last year. There aren't any 1,10,15, and 30 Mbps offerings anymore. The minimum package by me is 50 Mbps with upgrades to 100,200 and 300 Mbps.
This is true across the board now. Hence, the standard package is 50Mbps, which would be equivalent to the cost of last year's 15Mbps standard package. So, according to NS, he pays for a standard package but receives 300Mbps speed. No. He's paying for the Ultimate 300 package now, it just happens to be at no additional cost.

Your argument implies that it is possible for one to bring in 7 times the internet speed in which you pay for if you have a powerful enough modem to do so. Just isn't so. Your speed is not only determined at your modem level. The cable company throttles according to the service in which you pay for. If you pay for 50Mbps, then you're not getting 300 Mbps unless the cable company allows it. You might get 60-63Mbps if you have a modem that is capable of getting speeds over 100Mbps, but that's about the max amount of overprovisioning that you would see by the cable company. Not only that, you factor in others who share the same node as you (since residential cable does not provide propitiatory lines for residential consumers), and then factor in how many devices on your network that need access to the internet, and you're lucky to actually see a third of the speed you pay for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 10:38 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,548,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
That's all a moot point that doesn't really have much to do with the argument in this scenario with NS, because he said he signed up for 50Mbps last year, and thus, received a modem that would handle 50Mbps. He didn't start receiving 300Mbps until he upgraded his modem, thus, when the service got upgraded. He said he pays for 50Mbps, but gets 300Mbps. Which was a misleading statement because of the quote below.....

This is true across the board now. Hence, the standard package is 50Mbps, which would be equivalent to the cost of last year's 15Mbps standard package. So, according to NS, he pays for a standard package but receives 300Mbps speed. No. He's paying for the Ultimate 300 package now, it just happens to be at no additional cost.

Your argument implies that it is possible for one to bring in 7 times the internet speed in which you pay for if you have a powerful enough modem to do so. Just isn't so. Your speed is not only determined at your modem level. The cable company throttles according to the service in which you pay for. If you pay for 50Mbps, then you're not getting 300 Mbps unless the cable company allows it. You might get 60-63Mbps if you have a modem that is capable of getting speeds over 100Mbps, but that's about the max amount of overprovisioning that you would see by the cable company. Not only that, you factor in others who share the same node as you (since residential cable does not provide propitiatory lines for residential consumers), and then factor in how many devices on your network that need access to the internet, and you're lucky to actually see a third of the speed you pay for.
I never said that just buying a new modem would increase speed by a factor of 7. Almost anyone with a modicum of interest in cable speeds were aware that TWC was increasing the speed of their sytems last year, in the hope of retaining customers when Google fiber becomes operational. My so-called Turbo speed 15/1 Mbps rate was boosted to 100/10 with what I later learned was a $10 Ultimate 100 Upgrade fee. I could live with that. My "non-proprietary" cable line will deliver up to 150/13 during off-peak hours and btw, I have 23 devices (both wired and wireless) connected to my wireless router. Reading comprehension is your friend!

Old 06-02-2016, 01:44 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,535,149 times
Quote:
I never said that just buying a new modem would increase speed by a factor of 7. Almost anyone with a modicum of interest in cable speeds were aware that TWC was increasing the speed of their sytems last year, in the hope of retaining customers when Google fiber becomes operational. My so-called Turbo speed 15/1 Mbps rate was boosted to 100/10 with what I later learned was a $10 Ultimate 100 Upgrade fee. I could live with that. My "non-proprietary" cable line will deliver up to 150/13 during off-peak hours and btw, I have 23 devices (both wired and wireless) connected to my wireless router. Reading comprehension is your friend!
Will you please just stop arguing and let this go? Geez....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina