Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 08:28 AM

2 posts, read 2,092 times

Advertisements

My husband & I currently live in Denver and are from Austin, TX. My husband was offered a job in Seattle and in NC/SC, where we could pick the location since there are many branches there (he works in Healthcare). We are leaning towards the Carolinas as cost of living is much better there. So given that we would be bringing a job with us, we can't decide where we would go in the Carolinas.

We have narrowed it down so far to: Asheville, Raleigh area/Hillsborough and Charleston, SC. Charlotte isn't out of the question but from what i've read so far, it sounds like the other cities have more to offer us.

We are both 30, expecting our first child in the Fall and have 3(!) medium/large size dogs coming with us.

Looking to stay under 350,000 for a home and would be renting initially until we know the area better before we buy.

Given our age, starting a family and price range- where would natives choose to live given the options above? We are open to other locations within NC/SC but close to the cities listed as that is where my husband would be working daily.

We love the outdoors and are both pretty healthy so vegetarian options and outdoor activites (hiking/running trails/parks) would be ideal. We would like to be near families close to our age, good restaurants, bars..

I should mention neither of us has been to either NC or SC, we are planning to come next weekend for 3 days to try to see each area we mentioned and get a better idea.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Last edited by OnTheMap; 05-12-2016 at 08:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 08:45 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheMap View Post
We have narrowed it down so far to: Asheville, Raleigh area/Hillsborough and Charleston, SC. Charlotte isn't out of the question but from what i've read so far, it sounds like the other cities have more to offer us.

We are both 30, expecting our first child in the Fall and have 3(!) medium/large size dogs coming with us.

Looking to stay under 350,000 for a home and would be renting initially until we know the area better before we buy.

Given our age, starting a family and price range- where would natives choose to live given the options above?
Given your interests in the outdoor, I would recommend Asheville. It has the best access to outdoor activities, and the vegetarian food options.

Just be aware that it is hard to find rentals, and that having 3 dogs may make it nearly impossible. Please also read about the real estate bubble in Asheville.

BTW, attempting to see three cities in 3 days is way too ambitious. You will spend most of the time in airports, just getting around.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:55 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
One of these things is not like the others. Why Hillsborough?! You got something against Chapel Hill and Durham? Hillsborough is a very small town (6000 people). It's a lovely small town, but nothing like Austin or Denver or the other cities on your list.

You really need to come visit for a week or two and drive around and visit each one of these places. They are all pretty different from each other. I don't think 3 days will be enough time. It's 4-5 hrs from Raleigh to Asheville.

In fact of the cities you mention by name, Raleigh and Charlotte (which you said you weren't interested in) have the most in common.

Charleston has the historic Old South feel and has beaches a stone's throw away.

Asheville has funky hippie mountain charm and a ton of breweries for a town its size.

Raleigh is techy, highly educated, the state capital and super family friendly.

Hillsborough is a small artsy-meets-rural historic town not far from the much more well known Chapel Hill, home of the University of North Carolina.

Charlotte is a family-friendly financial center with big city aspirations and pro sports.

The Triangle is the best place in North and South Carolina for healthcare. Duke and UNC both have excellent med schools and hospitals and one of the healthiest populations in the region. http://www.countyhealthrankings.org/.../2014/overview Lots of pharma and biotech firms in the area (Research Triangle Park and elsewhere). If there's a possibility he might like to stay in healthcare, but look for another job in the future this would be a good place to do that.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:01 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,529,957 times
Asheville has the highest rental rates in the state. When you get ready to buy, you'll probably get less for your $350,000 in Asheville than the other locations, or have fewer choices, even going a few miles outside of Asheville. Also fewer choices for great public schools.

Quote:
hard to find rentals, and that having 3 dogs may make it nearly impossible
Agree ^

Old 05-12-2016, 09:20 AM

Asheville has good public schools. They're on par with Wake County. Better than Charlotte-Mecklenburg as a district. Asheville, like Chapel Hill Carrboro, is one of the few city systems left. Most school systems in North Carolina are county-based, but Asheville has two separate systems in Asheville City Schools and Buncombe County Schools. Likewise there are two systems in Chapel Hill Carrboro City Schools and Orange County Schools. Raleigh and Wake County have a county based system in Wake County Public School System.

You can look up data on how the schools do here:

https://ncreportcards.ondemand.sas.c...C+Report+Cards

or

NC School Report Cards if that first link doesn't work.

You can find good schools in any of the North Carolina locations you mentioned. I don't know anything about South Carolina schools.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:41 AM

496 posts, read 467,050 times
Good luck! I'm in the same predicament. My husband and I are debating between NC and SC. lol

Old 05-12-2016, 11:11 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,289,465 times
Are you Austin or Texas? If you're Austin, you'll like Asheville. If you're Texas, you'll hate it.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:43 PM

2 posts, read 2,092 times
Thanks for all the insight! It seems like Asheville seems most attractive because it sounded a lot like Austin (which we love) but with mountains. Might be more realistic to stay in the Raleigh/Durham area though considering more healthcare jobs and just more to do in general.

Poppydog: I just read good things about Hillsborough and it seemed close enough to the Triangle. Nothing against Durham (although I keep reading about high crime there which makes me think twice). Will look into Chapel Hill though and I appreciate all of the info you gave!

DC Fairwinds: It's much more difficult than I thought! Although I think we are leaning more towards NC. Charleston looks beautiful but I worry about the flooding/extra expense of flood insurance. Not sure if that's a good enough reason...? There seems to be more to do in general & more close by in NC. I think the idea of Asheville is great but maybe not realistic. Maybe we can retire there one day. Good luck with your decision and move!

Hamish Forbes: We're definitely Austin I can tell we would love Asheville but not sure it's the best choice.

I wish we had more time to visit, but possibly can come separate weekends to explore different areas. We will only have until July 1st to move in to whichever city we decide on so we're relying on a quick trip there and plenty of articles and forums like this to help steer our decision. I appreciate everyone's input! This has been helpful.

Old 05-12-2016, 01:11 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,278,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheMap View Post
Thanks for all the insight! It seems like Asheville seems most attractive because it sounded a lot like Austin (which we love) but with mountains. Might be more realistic to stay in the Raleigh/Durham area though considering more healthcare jobs and just more to do in general.

Poppydog: I just read good things about Hillsborough and it seemed close enough to the Triangle. Nothing against Durham (although I keep reading about high crime there which makes me think twice). Will look into Chapel Hill though and I appreciate all of the info you gave!

DC Fairwinds: It's much more difficult than I thought! Although I think we are leaning more towards NC. Charleston looks beautiful but I worry about the flooding/extra expense of flood insurance. Not sure if that's a good enough reason...? There seems to be more to do in general & more close by in NC. I think the idea of Asheville is great but maybe not realistic. Maybe we can retire there one day. Good luck with your decision and move!

Hamish Forbes: We're definitely Austin I can tell we would love Asheville but not sure it's the best choice.

I wish we had more time to visit, but possibly can come separate weekends to explore different areas. We will only have until July 1st to move in to whichever city we decide on so we're relying on a quick trip there and plenty of articles and forums like this to help steer our decision. I appreciate everyone's input! This has been helpful.
Also give Greenville, SC a look...more city than Asheville, near mountains, etc.

Old 05-12-2016, 03:42 PM

Not sure what all you liked about Austin (lots to love) but you might like Chapel Hill/Carrboro or Durham. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/31/tr...-carrboro.html

Durham gets a bad rap from some sources, but it's pretty cool. Check out the following:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/20/tr...m-nc.html?_r=0
http://www.livability.com/nc/durham
and this is a little silly and hyperbolic, but fun: https://www.buzzfeed.com/christinala...ABl#.fykYMmzQY

Unless you're really wanting a sleepy small town I don't know that I would focus on Hillsborough. If you ARE wanting a sleepy small Southern town it's a fantastic one, but small. Did I mention small?

Lots to do in Asheville and it's great for the outdoor lifestyle. If your hubs can take the job with him it might make sense to start there and if things change you can always relocate to the Triangle. Housing is high in Asheville relative to average income and jobs are hard to come by outside of the tourism sector, but you've already got that covered so you're in a really good position to explore it. You won't get a better shot at it than this, if you're intrigued by it. It's sort of like a mini-Austin w/o the tech, but lots of beer. I mean there is some tech there, but no Apple campus or anything. It's a smaller city, but not a small town and plays big. Lots of breweries, music, rafting, hiking, mountain climbing (small compared to the Rockies, but the biggest in the eastern half of the country and tree covered and beautiful). Have you see Explore Asheville | Asheville, NC's Official Travel Site — it's a tourism site, but pretty. You can compare these to the Durham links:
http://www.livability.com/nc/asheville
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/24/travel/24hours.html

This is my fave Asheville video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyOENdBj5kA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina