Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 12:34 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,550,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheMap View Post
My husband & I currently live in Denver and are from Austin, TX. My husband was offered a job in Seattle and in NC/SC, where we could pick the location since there are many branches there (he works in Healthcare). We are leaning towards the Carolinas as cost of living is much better there. So given that we would be bringing a job with us, we can't decide where we would go in the Carolinas.

We have narrowed it down so far to: Asheville, Raleigh area/Hillsborough and Charleston, SC. Charlotte isn't out of the question but from what i've read so far, it sounds like the other cities have more to offer us.

We are both 30, expecting our first child in the Fall and have 3(!) medium/large size dogs coming with us.

Looking to stay under 350,000 for a home and would be renting initially until we know the area better before we buy.

Given our age, starting a family and price range- where would natives choose to live given the options above? We are open to other locations within NC/SC but close to the cities listed as that is where my husband would be working daily.

We love the outdoors and are both pretty healthy so vegetarian options and outdoor activites (hiking/running trails/parks) would be ideal. We would like to be near families close to our age, good restaurants, bars..

I should mention neither of us has been to either NC or SC, we are planning to come next weekend for 3 days to try to see each area we mentioned and get a better idea.

Any advice would be appreciated!
You can include Hendersonville/Flat Rock in your search if you decide on the mountain area. 25 miles from Asheville and 35 miles from Greenville, SC. Asheville real estate is thru the roof.

Charlotte is huge for NC and the burbs stretch 15+ miles South and into SC. If you fly a lot, Charlotte has the best airport. It is a hub. Lots to do and lots of people. Same for Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill) - if you have no kids, Durham is a good starting place if you pick the Triangle (Durham schools are not on a par with Wake County or Chapel Hill Carborro).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina