Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 05:38 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,520,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Thats like picking which demographics to discriminate against. At the end of the day whether its PC or Civil Rights the state of North Carolina will suffer. As todays generation grows up they will remember that states like North Carolina and Mississippi passed laws like this one and these states will forever have a stigma. This was not a smart move.
You hit on one of my biggests issues,with this HB2 mess. NC was moving from being considered "south". To being thought of as more " Mid Atlantic". At least that was my hope,as a NC native.

When NC is mentioned in the same sentence as Mississippi and Alabama we have a real problem.

NC has come a long way in my 42 years. It seems all that progress is being lost very quickly.

One last thing. For the crowd who thinks a referendum is the answer. You shouldn't vote to on peoples civil rights. That never turns out well. Besides its the governments job to protect EVERYONES rights. Not let a mob take rights away.

Everyone has the right to be who they wish to be. Also to live as they wish to live. Maybe the backwards state government should realize that. Get back to the business at hand. Making NC a great place for all people. Instead of making us a look like backwoods hillbillies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 05:46 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,705,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
You hit on one of my biggests issues,with this HB2 mess. NC was moving from being considered "south". To being thought of as more " Mid Atlantic". At least that was my hope,as a NC native.

When NC is mentioned in the same sentence as Mississippi and Alabama we have a real problem.

NC has come a long way in my 42 years. It seems all that progress is being lost very quickly.

One last thing. For the crowd who thinks a referendum is the answer. You shouldn't vote to on peoples civil rights. That never turns out well. Besides its the governments job to protect EVERYONES rights. Not let a mob take rights away.

Everyone has the right to be who they wish to be. Also to live as they wish to live. Maybe the backwards state government should realize that. Get back to the business at hand. Making NC a great place for all people. Instead of making us a look like backwoods hillbillies
Totally agree. North Carolina was doing a good job at distancing itself from its peers and just took a big step backwards.

Old 04-30-2016, 07:02 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,542,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxtheRoadWarrior View Post
"These states will forever have a stigma" seems a bit much. There is no denying that it is going to take a lot to live this down, but it is going to be McCrory and the North Carolina Republican Party that are going to bear the weight of this stigma.

North Carolina, despite all the twists and turns, is still regarded as one of the more progressive states in the Southeast. We are talking about a state who went for Obama in 2008. To take what even North Carolinians are calling an asinine law and hang it as an albatross around North Carolina's neck is extremely unfair.
SC was banned for 30 years because of the Confederate flag at the capitol.

Old 05-01-2016, 06:35 AM

5,850 posts, read 5,656,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Man trust me, nobody views North Carolina as "not the South" or "Mid-Atlantic". I'm raised between DC and Richmond, and used to live in NY as well as NC. I've never heard ANYONE say this in real life about NC, and why would we want that anyway? Instead, NC is seen as a bastion of progressivm, a state leading the South into a through the new millenium...

North Carolina has already seperated itself from old timey Southern stereotypes and slow-moving Southern states in regards to change. This HB2 thing does hurt its image, but it doesn't as of yet take away from the former...

Old 05-01-2016, 06:43 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,758,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
The problem now is how does the Republican led government back its way out of this mess in an election year? They've tried to blame it on Democrats in Charlotte and even the victims of the law but that isn't working out too well for them. They are in a real pickle politically and the irony is that they thought that were making a smart political move in an election year. Alas, it might not matter to the gerrymandered GA representation but the governor is going to be in a dog fight. That said, it still might work out for McCrory since conservative idealists have typically been more motivated to vote during contentious times than liberal idealists and, frankly, there are more conservative idealists in the entire state. The middle is going to have to make a huge swing away from McCrory in order for him to not lose in Nov. The voter iD laws and the suppression of votes by limiting early voting, reducing polling places and ending Sunday voting might be helpful in reelecting the Governor.

In addition to how much money the state and local communities are going to lose until this gets resolved, just how much money is the state going to spend in court to defend the law? Yep, the GOP is good for the economy.

It's like the state is the Titanic and it's still scraping along the iceberg while the captain and crew think everything is going to be okay and the string quartet continues to play.
All Star Weekend needs to cancel in Charlotte prior to Nov to guarantee he lose in NOV and for more Democrats to come out and vote

Old 05-01-2016, 08:17 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,499,645 times
The ASG isn't getting canceled at this point but I do fear the long term image of NC that this law projects. I hate that this great state is now being made to look like a backwards, mini-Mississippi in the national media. I think it's a given that McCory is gone in November but the real change is needed in the GA.

Old 05-01-2016, 08:22 AM

415 posts, read 608,088 times
I lived in Charlotte 2 years, I'm happy for the state to lose that event. Both years I was there for the event, were problems. The first time I eating at Rock Bottom next to nothing but event goers. It was lunch time, had my young son with us and the event goers were completely drunk cursing at several tables to point we had to leave because my son was asking questions. Leaving I was hollered at with cat calls back to my car, which honestly was quite uncomfortable. The second year we were in Southwark mall during the event. My son had on my Louis Vuitton hat and scarf because he was a little cold and it was all we had with us. He was 6 last year at the time. Anyway a group of young men with sports shirts were behind us. One said, man that kid's hat and scarf costs more than my outfit, other guy says more than my car.. They seemed drunk (again go figure during the day) and then one says man lets beat his ass and take that sh#t. I then gave them all the dirtiest of looks and turned around in the opposite direction. Either way, the event brings drunks in my opinion and I'm happy its canceled to be honest.

Old 05-01-2016, 08:40 AM

142 posts, read 176,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metairie View Post
I lived in Charlotte 2 years, I'm happy for the state to lose that event. Both years I was there for the event, were problems. The first time I eating at Rock Bottom next to nothing but event goers. It was lunch time, had my young son with us and the event goers were completely drunk cursing at several tables to point we had to leave because my son was asking questions. Leaving I was hollered at with cat calls back to my car, which honestly was quite uncomfortable. The second year we were in Southwark mall during the event. My son had on my Louis Vuitton hat and scarf because he was a little cold and it was all we had with us. He was 6 last year at the time. Anyway a group of young men with sports shirts were behind us. One said, man that kid's hat and scarf costs more than my outfit, other guy says more than my car.. They seemed drunk (again go figure during the day) and then one says man lets beat his ass and take that sh#t. I then gave them all the dirtiest of looks and turned around in the opposite direction. Either way, the event brings drunks in my opinion and I'm happy its canceled to be honest.
Hopefully the NBA All-star game gets cancelled then because the area doesn't need the millions of dollars in revenue it brings and that way your kid can wear that Louis Vuitton hat and scarf out in public. (Enjoy trolling!)

Old 05-01-2016, 09:01 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,520,125 times
Dwane Powell: House Bill 2 referendum idea holds no water | News & Observer

Old 05-01-2016, 12:38 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,705,557 times
One positive is that people are reacting very strongly to North Carolina because people care about North Carolina and what goes on in the state. Look at Mississippi, its barely getting any attention. I think its because people have already lost hope for Mississippi and expect a law like this to pass there and not in a place like NC. Mississippi already ranks near the bottom for most things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina