Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2016, 05:23 AM

2,818 posts, read 1,559,700 times

Advertisements

Just curious: When I read through a lot of the threads on the NC forum, I see quite a number of posts that dismiss Franklin County as not a good place to live. I don't understand that point of view. I realize that it's one of the poorest counties in NC, but it's hard for people to find work when all of the manufacturing jobs have shut down and been shipped overseas, and when the state government refuses to invest in infrastructure and renewable energy training and jobs. And when schools are funded via property taxes, this pretty much guarantees that poor children will receive an inferior education and that revitalization of their towns will stagnate (which is why schools should stop being funded by property taxes; it worked fine in the 1950s and 60s, when there was a thriving middle class, but not any more--and American children should not be penalized/disadvantaged for being poor). There are some really sweet towns in Franklin County with beautiful old historic homes and interesting histories just waiting to be revitalized. I just don't get it. Is it a class thing? A race thing? We bought an old home in Franklin County and love it, love the town, love the people--and it's only 40 minutes from Raleigh (which, since we're from New England, is hardly a big deal--is in fact pretty typical if you live even in a close suburb to Boston). Why such a condescending attitude toward the folks in Franklin County?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 06:26 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,987,242 times
It's no different than what they say about every other county that doesn't contain Charlotte Wilmington Asheville Raleigh Durham chapel hill

Unfortunately across our state we abandoned historic downtown for bypass big box development so thanks for doing your part

I LOVE rura/small towns

Old 04-29-2016, 06:37 AM

398 posts, read 499,906 times
I think you touched on some of the issues in your post...the schools aren't that great, the economy sucks. There are few amenities...Wal Mart is pretty much the only shopping option. There are too many better places closer to the job locations in the Triangle. As the Triangle continues to grow, places like Louisburg may become more viable options for people to live, and the area will begin to revitalize.

I don't think anyone has a condescending attitude towards people who live in Franklin County. The fact is, it just isn't a desirable place to live for most people right now.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:27 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,384,334 times
Schools, lack of jobs, shopping and entertainment options.

If you want a small town it can be a great place. Much better than Henderson, which has issues with crime.

Old 05-01-2016, 06:57 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,635,462 times
We lived in Franklin County for two years and still keep that home as a second home. I could live there full time, but it's too rural for my wife. I do get a little sad when travelling Hwy 98, first in Franklin County - some new development, not a ton. Then you hit Wake County and almost immediately there are multiple new high end subdivisions.

When we lived there, our daughter went to Edward Best Elementary, and we were generally pleased with the quality of that school. The principal was amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina