Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 08:46 AM

530 posts, read 638,132 times

Advertisements

I'm a young person (28), who has spent a lot of time in both cities and personally I prefer the nightlife scene in Raleigh over Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 10:28 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hnoone View Post
Which one has better nightlife? Where is there more to do? I am a 23 year old looking to move to a place where there is a lot to do, a lot of young people, and a fun downtown area. Thanks!
I lived in Wilmington in my 20's -- it has a pretty good nightlife, I'd say. Both downtown and Wrightsville Beach. But it isn't a good place to start a career, because the job market is poor and the pay doesn't match the cost of living.

The people you will meet in Wilmington are less educated, less ambitious, and are more into tattoos and drugs than they are careers and such. There's a lot of people pretending to be surfers and beach bums, and a lot of people your age living in their family's beach house with lifestyles funded by rich mommies and daddies. Lots of BMW's with Virginia tags. But if you can find a good crowd to run with, it's great.

As to how it compares to Charlotte and Raleigh -- well, it's just different. I've only been out a few times at night in Raleigh, and it looks pretty boring. IME Charlotte is more fun.

Old 04-17-2016, 11:28 AM

530 posts, read 638,132 times
What you said about Wilmington is also true of Asheville. Asheville is a ton of fun, but the people you meet aren't type of crowd I meet when I go out in Durham and Carrboro, where you can't swing a cat without hitting people that are working on or have an advanced degree for instance. Just different, depending on what you are looking for.

Old 04-18-2016, 01:23 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,834,607 times
Quote:
Which one has better nightlife? Where is there more to do? I am a 23 year old looking to move to a place where there is a lot to do, a lot of young people, and a fun downtown area. Thanks!
Is this your ONLY criteria among the 3 cities and are you only considering these 3 cities? Only considering NC? What about work? You can provide a lot more info for people to direct you better.

EDIT: I see you are asking the same questions on Florida boards. It would help a lot if you could describe your thought processes into the places you are considering, whether you would need jobs and in what field, etc. "Nightlife" can mean different things to different people as well. What sort of city/town are you living in now?

Old 04-18-2016, 01:40 PM

3,084 posts, read 4,862,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
I lived in Wilmington in my 20's -- it has a pretty good nightlife, I'd say. Both downtown and Wrightsville Beach. But it isn't a good place to start a career, because the job market is poor and the pay doesn't match the cost of living.

The people you will meet in Wilmington are less educated, less ambitious, and are more into tattoos and drugs than they are careers and such. There's a lot of people pretending to be surfers and beach bums, and a lot of people your age living in their family's beach house with lifestyles funded by rich mommies and daddies. Lots of BMW's with Virginia tags. But if you can find a good crowd to run with, it's great.

As to how it compares to Charlotte and Raleigh -- well, it's just different. I've only been out a few times at night in Raleigh, and it looks pretty boring. IME Charlotte is more fun.
How old are you now? In other words what year(s) was that?

Old 04-18-2016, 02:22 PM

13 posts, read 16,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Is this your ONLY criteria among the 3 cities and are you only considering these 3 cities? Only considering NC? What about work? You can provide a lot more info for people to direct you better.

EDIT: I see you are asking the same questions on Florida boards. It would help a lot if you could describe your thought processes into the places you are considering, whether you would need jobs and in what field, etc. "Nightlife" can mean different things to different people as well. What sort of city/town are you living in now?
I am going to be working as an elementary teacher and I have to decide which state/area to live in. I have received a few job offers in different states. I am currently living in Rochester, NY and there is not a ton of nightlife here. I am looking for a city where I could go out on the weekends and meet people my age. I am looking to live within walking distance of bars.

Old 04-18-2016, 02:32 PM

7,077 posts, read 12,353,144 times
How much are you willing to spend on monthly rent? And how many bedrooms?

Old 04-18-2016, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
How much are you willing to spend on monthly rent? And how many bedrooms?
$600-700 and either 2 or 3 bedrooms

Old 04-18-2016, 05:27 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,497,050 times
Quote:
$600-700 and either 2 or 3 bedrooms
Then Wilmington is the only possible choice here. You can't afford to live in a decent neighborhood in Charlotte or Raleigh in that range of rent.

Old 04-18-2016, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
Then Wilmington is the only possible choice here. You can't afford to live in a decent neighborhood in Charlotte or Raleigh in that range of rent.

I guess I worded it wrong, but I'd be looking for a 3 bedroom apartment where the total rent is about 2100 and if I have 2 roommates then I would split it between them, which equates to about $700 for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina