Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 07:34 PM

1 posts, read 4,581 times

Advertisements

I see that lots of people have posted some really good information concerning your questions. We live in Mtn. View in Catawba County. Though our address is in Hickory, we live outside the city proper. My husband has lived here all of his life. This is considered a rural community, especially compared to Hickory proper. It is a beautiful area, and is becoming more desirable because of the good schools and small community feel. But with all of your concerns about bugs, snakes, and weather, I am not sure why you would even consider this area, especially something in the country. Yes, there are different kinds of bugs - everything from ticks, mosquitos, horseflies, bees, hornets, and an assortment of pesky beetles. Ants like to come inside during the summer and ladybugs in the fall. There are spiders. There are snakes (and I suppose you should know Copperheads are poisonous). This is the southeast - humidity is part of the climate. Like any other place, there can be severe weather from time to time. After living in "the country" on 10 acres of land for over 20 years, no one in my family has ever been bitten by snake, we have have never experienced a tornado, lightning has never struck our house, and the last earthquake that I know of was near the Asheville area and registered 3.1 The most severe has been in that same area somewhere around 1915 - earthquakes in our foothills area of the state are not something most of us think about. Property in the area often has been in families for generations, and it can be pricey depending on location. New developments are generally higher end, $250,000 plus and that is without the acreage you mention. A colleague recently (within the past year) looked at houses in the area and could not find anything suitable in the price range you mentioned. They eventually went with new construction in a modest new development. It was over $150,000 and does not come close to the description of space or acreage you describe. Catawba County has a low tax rate ranging from .38 to .535 per $100 valuation. The move you mention would no doubt be a pretty major one, and that means a lot of investment in a number of areas. If you have not actually visited the area, I would recommend you do so before considering a move. Internet surfing cannot provide you with a sense of what might be "home" for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 09:40 AM

1 posts, read 4,554 times
Default Hello:)

Hello, i would like to inform you on our county of catawba in NC, it has a low population density, the people are very friendly and you will fit in very quickly, the temperature is not all that humid and on the hottest days you could always just go enjoy a swim in Lake Norman, the biggest lake in NC, the lake is not very polluted and is very enjoyable throughout the summer, so i would not worry to much about heat or humidity. The winters are relatively cold, well atleast to me this winter i think the minimum temperature was around 30 or so degrees i hope this gives you the information you wanted, hope you join us

sincerely,

Eric Green

Old 03-27-2008, 12:09 PM

40 posts, read 114,401 times
My husband and I just moved to Hudson,NC about 1 month ago and we were looking for an acreage 3-5 acres with pasture for horses. We were going up to 200,000 and we could not find ANYTHING!!! We ended up with a 2100 sq foot house in town for about 130,000 and we are going to have to board our horses. Not wanting to rain on you parade but anifani821 is correct. Good Luck!

Old 03-27-2008, 12:12 PM

40 posts, read 114,401 times
I wanted to recommend a website to check out to maybe give you some other choices Best Places to Live: Compare the Best Cities & Small Towns for You! find my spot has an array of questions from things you enjoy to weather to demographics, schools, politics, ect. you may find it helpful let us know what you come up with!

Old 07-28-2008, 12:46 PM

22 posts, read 65,179 times
YOUR QUESTIONS:

1. First of all is there any snow in the winter, does it get below freezing, is there a lot of cloudy days in the winter, a lot of rain, how many sunny days in the winter???

Hickory doesn't have real heavy snows during the winter. Occasionally, we get a few inches during February or March. During the last few years, our winters have much milder than in the past.

2. As far as summer months...........It looks as if it rains about 4-5 inches every month all year long. Is this true???

The annual average precipitation at Hickory is 48.98 Inches. Rainfall in is fairly evenly distributed throughout the year. The wettest month of the year is March with an average rainfall of 4.92 Inches.

3. On average, how many sunny days per month do you get???
Sun is very important to us as we only get an average of 174 days of sun per year in Idaho.

Hickory, NC gets an average of 214 sunny days a year, while the national average is 205 sunny days per year.

When I talk to people that have been in NC.........I hear it is so hot and humid and full of bugs. That I would hate it.
What type of humidity are we talking about with how high of temps???

The average humidity in NC is 74%.

Bugs and snakes are my next question??? Does Hickory have a lot of snakes??? What type of bugs???? We have gardner snakes here...........and we have our problems with misquito's in the spring and early summer at times.....depending on how wet of a spring we get.
We have bee's, flies, and stink bugs.

From personal experience, I can say that I have not seen that may snakes, and I have lived here my whole life. Only in the woods, or dead on the side of the road, have I seen snakes! The only time we see a lot of mosquitos is around standing water, ponds, etc.

Then I've read about tornado's...........are they common in Hickory??? What about earthquakes???? And last but not least.........how bad are the lighting storms that I've heard about???

Personally, we have never seen a tornado, and we have never felt an earthquake. A couple times a summer we have a real thunderstorm with lightening, etc. but nothing out of the ordinary.

Is Hickory a town by its self or does it just blend in wit
h all the other small towns???

Hickory is close to several towns. Conover, Newton, Hudson, Vale, Claremont, and Granite Falls are just a few. There are many towns in and around the city of Hickory.

When we looked it up it says it has 300,000 people in the tri city region. Coeurd'Alene has about a total of 120,000 people, but there are towns strung out all over the place with seperation which totals all these people.
Where would be a good place to live out on acerage close to Hickory that has trees and rolling hills???

Vale, NC is just outside of Hickory and is FULL of rolling hills, acreage, farms, and wooded areas. It is "the country" side of Hickory. Some parts of Vale are breathtakingly beautiful. There are also some parts of Vale that are a little more "run down".

I hope this helps! We know Hickory "inside and out"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina