Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 10:39 PM

23 posts, read 58,046 times

Advertisements

Hey,I need help,I plan to move from ohio because I am about to get a job in Hickory,I have 2 kids who are both in elementary school,pls what do you know about hickory ,also If I decide to live in Charlotte , where can I live with very good public schools,thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 11:08 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,772,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chide View Post
Hey,I need help,I plan to move from ohio because I am about to get a job in Hickory,I have 2 kids who are both in elementary school,pls what do you know about hickory ,also If I decide to live in Charlotte , where can I live with very good public schools,thanks in advance
If your job is in Hickory, you DON'T want to live in Charlotte! There are many nice places in and around Hickory itself to live in, why you'd want such a long commute and to pay all that extra in gas is beyond me.

I like the nearby town of Conover myself.

Hopefully other folks will chime in here to tell you about specific schools in Hickory to look to live near

Old 05-16-2009, 07:44 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,529,774 times
Whew. Slow down here . . . LOL!

Catawba County as a whole - and Hickory in particular - have many wonderful neighborhoods and schools. There is absolutely no reason to live in Charlotte and get yourself involved in a crazy commute back to Hickory. Plus, you will want to get involved in your children's schools, your neighborhood and I would expect with spending every day at work, you will be excluding yourself from one of the best ways to get to know an area and make a smooth transition - your coworkers! They will doubtless NOT be commuting from Charlotte.

You need to give us more info on where your job is located (in general, is fine) - what price range you are looking for (rent? buy?) and what lifestyle you are looking for. Catawba County is a beautiful area w/ many great towns/neighborhoods.

If you want near a lake, or at a country club, or in an historic house . . . or if you want a neighborhood with newer homes, neighborhood amenities . . . or some acreage outside city limits, you can find it in that region. So let us know what you have in mind and we can direct you.

I frankly would prefer having my kids in the Catawba County School System than many of the schools here in Charlotte. Just my opinion but I suspect there are others who would agree with me.

Old 05-16-2009, 02:05 PM

Thanks for your replies.I am about to get a job in Frye medical center and I learnt that it is boring to live in Hickory,no good Malls or other exciting places ,If you think so then I can continue to search for another job preferably in triangle area or Charlotte.I also prefer newer homes.Please,help,if you were in my shoes,what would you do,I have worked so hard in life and I do not want to settle down to a boring life.

Old 05-16-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your replies.I am about to get a job in Frye medical center and I learnt that it is boring to live in Hickory,no good Malls or other exciting places ,If you think so then I can continue to search for another job preferably in triangle area or Charlotte.I also prefer newer homes.Please,help,if you were in my shoes,what would you do,I have worked so hard in life and I do not want to settle down to a boring life.
Well, I guess it's all relative - what you call boring would probably be right up my alley - less traffic, less dense population, more small town life. But hey, if you measure the excitement in your life by how large the mall is, I'm thinking Hickory won't be for you.

Go ahead and look for jobs in Charlotte and the triangle - they are certainly much larger than Hickory and will "entertain" you more, but just realize, the cost of living is going to be higher and you'll have to do a lot of research to be sure you get in a neighborhood with good schools.

The bottom line really is, how much can you afford to spend on rent/buying a home?

Old 05-16-2009, 02:27 PM

I can buy a house b/w 300-400k.The cost of buying a house is not a problem to me but I wondering if I can live commute from Charlotte may be Matthews, Ballentyna or other good places in Charlotte,what do you think?The job in Hickory pays more than the ones I found in Triangle area,thanks

Old 05-16-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
I can buy a house b/w 300-400k.The cost of buying a house is not a problem to me but I wondering if I can live commute from Charlotte may be Matthews, Ballentyna or other good places in Charlotte,what do you think?The job in Hickory pays more than the ones I found in Triangle area,thanks
A commute from Hickory to Ballantyne would not be something I would ever do. But again, it's all relative. It would be about 90 minutes of aggravation that I just would not want to deal with. Well, I take that back, maybe 60 minutes of aggravation, the last 30 minutes you'd be getting off I85 and heading up hwy 321, which does move and is nice and scenic going into Hickory.

Here's another thought, besides the huge cost in gas, as a parent do you want to be THAT far away from your kids everyday? Suppose one of them gets sick or has an accident at school??

Old 05-16-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Have you ever been to Hickory? Cause it doesn't sound like you have. I am not trying to sell you on living anywhere - but if you are accepting a job in a town you have never seen - and making assumptions about such things as the schools and housing . . . there is no way you can make a good decision about what works best for you and your children.

Hickory has all sorts of housing - including new neighborhoods - and a lot of decent shopping (and Charlotte is here is you want to spend a day at a mall). I certainly don't consider it a boring place, but then shopping isn't the only thing I do for entertainment.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:32 PM

I really appreciate all your inputs,I have never been to Hickory to answer your question but I want to be sure I have enough information about hickory before I go for the interview and from the look of things,It is almost certain that I will get the job,so if Hickory is not an exciting place,then I will not bother going for the inerview,so what are the fun things in Hickory?

Old 05-16-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
I really appreciate all your inputs,I have never been to Hickory to answer your question but I want to be sure I have enough information about hickory before I go for the interview and from the look of things,It is almost certain that I will get the job,so if Hickory is not an exciting place,then I will not bother going for the inerview,so what are the fun things in Hickory?
When you say "fun things" are you meaning - for your children? Do you have hobbies or interests that you want to make sure you can continue pursuing? Hickory is like all towns its size . . . except there is the lake, wh/ is a big deal for a lot of people - boating, fishing, skiing, etc.

Hickory has a minor league baseball team and a nice stadium where they play . . . there are hundreds of groups you can join - everything from choral music to car rally clubs to dancing . . . it all just depends what your interests are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina