Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 03:21 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,569,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucie0304 View Post
Thank you, i will check out Advance, and Mocksville.

I was actually considering Boone as I saw lots of nice houses and decent prices, but it is a rather small town isnt it ? I believe I drove around the area, cant remember if I actually got into Boone. But I think my husband thought it was too small of a town for him. If you dont mind me asking, how is it around boone area when it comes to healthcare jobs ?
Boone has an official population count of 17,774 (Watauga County is 52,000+). Appalachian State University in Boone has nearly 18,000 students (undergrad & graduate). Students are supposed to be counted by the Census where they go to school, but not all are, so there's some overlap in those stats. ASU is a pretty big influence in the area regarding arts, culture, sports, etc.

I don't work in healthcare so I can't speak from personal experience about healthcare jobs. However, as a consumer of healthcare, and from a purely anecdotal perspective, it seems that there's a pretty darn good choice of good physicians in this area. As with most places that are popular, it's probably not hard to recruit good medical professionals even though it's not a metro area... boils down to lifestyle. Appalachian Regional Healthcare is the predominant corporate umbrella for medical practices and hospitals in the immediate area, but there a few others with a presence in the area such as Frye out of Hickory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 07:08 PM

62 posts, read 68,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Planner View Post
I don't understand what "inputs" you are seeking. Lots of places are both kid/family and pet friendly. Finding a rental with 2 dogs may be difficult.
Oh, I dunno about that.

With more people going into rentals, with a "wait 'n see" attitude about buying, apartment developers have adopted new attitudes about pets. They recognize that people consider their pets as family and will gauge the choice of dwelling on its pet friendliness.

You might pay big bux for the accommodations made for pets, but it is doable. The complex where I live has a $350 deposit for the first dog and $150 for each additional one. You also have to pay $20 more each month for rent. Management says that the funds went for the building of a dog park, but I kinda wonder .... Taking a patch of the property that could not be built upon, putting up a fence, and calling it a "dog park" shouldn't have been that much of an outlay. But, I think the extra money probably goes for the outside damage dogs do. Grass has to be reseeded every year to deal with dead spots from dog pee, and some folks - despite umpteen warnings - will still not clean up after their dogs. Someone has to and they expect to be paid.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:31 PM

62 posts, read 68,889 times
Quote:
Thank you, i will check out Advance, and Mocksville.
Something interesting I read recently. Discussing the expansion of the Wake Forest Medical Center (north of the I-40/801 intersection) at Bermuda Run

Quote:
Focusing on geriatric care in Davie County makes sense, said McConnell, who called the county’s demographics “fascinating.”

Quoting statistics gathered by the Piedmont Triad Regional Council’s Area Agency on Aging, Chad Brown, the president of Davie Medical Center, said those 60 and older will make up the fastest-growing segment of the county’s population by 2030.
Hospital addition represents next phase of growth in eastern Davie - Winston-Salem Journal: Journal West

That statistic should probably be taken into account because of the effect it will have on things like schools. It was like pulling teeth to finally get a new high school for the county, but with a larger elderly population anticipated, it might become even harder to see funds allocated for those things that are important to families.

On the other hand, an older population presents more possibilities for a greater need for healthcare facilities, hence jobs in that field.

And snow? Yeah, around here it's purty to look at, but awful to deal with. A couple inches of the white stuff and people lose their sh*t.

We've lived in the Mocksville area for 20 years now. We love it here and consider it a focal point from which to access other interesting areas. You are about two hours from the mountains, depending on the road you take, so you can have a home here and be well able to do day trips to a lot of mountain stuff.

Old 02-27-2016, 07:25 AM

36 posts, read 30,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
Boone has an official population count of 17,774 (Watauga County is 52,000+). Appalachian State University in Boone has nearly 18,000 students (undergrad & graduate). Students are supposed to be counted by the Census where they go to school, but not all are, so there's some overlap in those stats. ASU is a pretty big influence in the area regarding arts, culture, sports, etc.

I don't work in healthcare so I can't speak from personal experience about healthcare jobs. However, as a consumer of healthcare, and from a purely anecdotal perspective, it seems that there's a pretty darn good choice of good physicians in this area. As with most places that are popular, it's probably not hard to recruit good medical professionals even though it's not a metro area... boils down to lifestyle. Appalachian Regional Healthcare is the predominant corporate umbrella for medical practices and hospitals in the immediate area, but there a few others with a presence in the area such as Frye out of Hickory.
thanks for the info

Old 02-27-2016, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinLuv View Post
Oh, I dunno about that.

With more people going into rentals, with a "wait 'n see" attitude about buying, apartment developers have adopted new attitudes about pets. They recognize that people consider their pets as family and will gauge the choice of dwelling on its pet friendliness.

You might pay big bux for the accommodations made for pets, but it is doable. The complex where I live has a $350 deposit for the first dog and $150 for each additional one. You also have to pay $20 more each month for rent. Management says that the funds went for the building of a dog park, but I kinda wonder .... Taking a patch of the property that could not be built upon, putting up a fence, and calling it a "dog park" shouldn't have been that much of an outlay. But, I think the extra money probably goes for the outside damage dogs do. Grass has to be reseeded every year to deal with dead spots from dog pee, and some folks - despite umpteen warnings - will still not clean up after their dogs. Someone has to and they expect to be paid.
Thanks !

Yes some dogs are destructive and unfortunately it ruins it for everybody else, just like breed stereotype and how they make up these " aggressive/dangerous breed list"
when it comes to dog waste, it is unfortunately again, everywhere. I lived in low income complex where it is like a minefield, and u cant even see where you're walking, but even in better areas, like the one i am in now, you still find dog waste, sometimes right next to the trash meant for it !

I dont mind the fees, it is what it is.

Old 02-27-2016, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinLuv View Post
Something interesting I read recently. Discussing the expansion of the Wake Forest Medical Center (north of the I-40/801 intersection) at Bermuda Run

Hospital addition represents next phase of growth in eastern Davie - Winston-Salem Journal: Journal West

That statistic should probably be taken into account because of the effect it will have on things like schools. It was like pulling teeth to finally get a new high school for the county, but with a larger elderly population anticipated, it might become even harder to see funds allocated for those things that are important to families.

On the other hand, an older population presents more possibilities for a greater need for healthcare facilities, hence jobs in that field.

And snow? Yeah, around here it's purty to look at, but awful to deal with. A couple inches of the white stuff and people lose their sh*t.

We've lived in the Mocksville area for 20 years now. We love it here and consider it a focal point from which to access other interesting areas. You are about two hours from the mountains, depending on the road you take, so you can have a home here and be well able to do day trips to a lot of mountain stuff.
thank you again, great info.

snow, just like rain here, will make some people loose their sh*t like you said more traffic and accidents

2 hours from the mountains is pretty nice

how are farmers market around the areas ? It is very hard to find here, Im used to the ones we have in France, twice a week, fresh vegetables, fish and meat

Old 02-27-2016, 10:41 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,440,794 times
Quote:
thank you again, great info.

snow, just like rain here, will make some people loose their sh*t like you said more traffic and accidents

2 hours from the mountains is pretty nice

how are farmers market around the areas ? It is very hard to find here, Im used to the ones we have in France, twice a week, fresh vegetables, fish and meat
There are 2 farmers' markets in Greensboro: a big one on Sandy Ridge Road, and the smaller curb market on Yanceyville Road. I go to the smaller one. There are local eggs, produce, meat, and honey. Open Sunday and Wednesday.

Old 02-28-2016, 11:16 AM

536 posts, read 642,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
There are 2 farmers' markets in Greensboro: a big one on Sandy Ridge Road, and the smaller curb market on Yanceyville Road. I go to the smaller one. There are local eggs, produce, meat, and honey. Open Sunday and Wednesday.
There is a Saturday farmer's market in Winston-Salem as well (Cobblestone in Old Salem).

Old 03-02-2016, 03:12 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,902,091 times
If you have narrowed it down to the Triad area, you can get more specific answers on the Triad subforum.

Old 03-17-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
If you have narrowed it down to the Triad area, you can get more specific answers on the Triad subforum.
Thanks Francois !

we have narrowed it down to the triad and went house hunting last week,
I will start a new post in the triad sub forum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina