Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 07:59 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,537,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucie0304 View Post
Hello,

So me and my husband are in the process of moving to North Carolina from Florida.
I would love some inputs and help from people familiar with the areas or living in North Carolina.

We were looking at the triangle area ( Raleigh, Garner, holly springs, knightdale ) as well as the triad area ( Winston Salem, Greensboro, Thomasville, Clemmons, Lewisville, Asheboro ) ect....
We were also considering Asheville but not sure, my husband seem to think it will not fit our needs.
We just dont really know where to look, there are so many cities and towns.

We will be driving up in March to start looking at rentals, we do not want to buy just yet, probably after 1 year or 2 to make sure we like the area we are. We do want a pet friendly town since we have 2 big dogs. we do not have kids but want some pretty soon, so kid/family friendly is a plus. I really want an area that get snow, and I research Raleigh area, doesn't seem to have much

so if anyone has some inputs, ideas, information, let me know!

thank you for taking the time to read and reply

Here are two good links for you to take a look at, covering the state by sections:

www.carolinaliving.com

www.ourstate.com

If you want 'some' snow, you can find it in the northern and central counties of Western NC.

Best wishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 08:07 AM

36 posts, read 30,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Here are two good links for you to take a look at, covering the state by sections:

www.carolinaliving.com

www.ourstate.com

If you want 'some' snow, you can find it in the northern and central counties of Western NC.

Best wishes.
thanks for the links, I will look at them today

Old 02-26-2016, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Planner View Post
There are safe areas in all the communities you mentioned. The weather is not going to vary much...hot summers, short, fairly mild winters. Asheville is slightly cooler in the summer, and has more of winter. Its also an area with pretty low wages, and high housing costs. Charlotte and The Triangle have higher housing costs than the Triad.
thanks, may I ask, why is that Asheville has lower wages but the cost of living is higher?

I think we will do better in the triad area, we are coming up next week to check out some places

Old 02-26-2016, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Yes, I hope you (OP) realize how very very vague your request is. We can't find work for you, and we can't tell you where YOU will be happiest. Yet that seems to be exactly what you are expecting?

Research the various areas via general Google searches, Wikipedia, and City-Data's own pages on the various states and cities (different from the forum). Here is their page on NC, with links to all the cities.

no, I never asked you to find me a job,
I was asking about neighborhoods, because we were looking at the triangle area as well as the triad, but it seems the triad would fit us better.
I have done researches already and thats why I narrowed it down to these areas I mention.
We are driving up next week to look around and see couple of houses to make sure the area is the right fit for us.

I have spent countless hours on citydata and check every city I could.
I am thinking winston Salem, Clemmons, Lewisville and Thomasville for now,
I just wanted opinions from people that have lived there. whats the weather like year round ? is there things/events happening on the week ends? mountains and national parks nearby ? what is the safety like ? I want to be able to walk my dogs and enjoy being outdoor without being scared. Is there any farmers market in the areas ?

Old 02-26-2016, 09:19 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,537,817 times
Quote:
thanks, may I ask, why is that Asheville has lower wages but the cost of living is higher?

I think we will do better in the triad area, we are coming up next week to check out some places

Asheville itself is a huge tourist area, high end neighborhoods are a result of the influx of wealthy retirees over the years.

You may want to look into areas within a 25 mile commuting radius of Asheville, depending on your employment needs. Towns like Weaverville, Hendersonville, Waynesville, Mills River, Arden, Fletcher, Edneyville. There are several nice family oriented areas here in the mountains.

And yes, the Triad may be a lot more suitable for employment according to what your needs and price range for housing are. All great areas, excellent healthcare in the Triad and Charlotte (probably the most crowded population). (I love Clemmons, and Advance, outside of W/Salem) ... very cute towns ... nice real estate selection. Everything is a trade-off.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:29 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,819,674 times
Quote:
no, I never asked you to find me a job,
Try not to take it personal, OP. He's usually snarky towards almost anybody that asks about moving to NC, especially if it involves the Triangle region. That being said, your first post was a little vague. I agree that the Triad would probably be a good fit, since the cost of living is cheaper than the Triangle and employment opportunities are better than they are in Asheville. Unfortunately, I can't help you much beyond that. My knowledge of the Triad and Triangle is pretty limited since I've only been to those two regions a handful number of times over the years (I grew up in eastern NC). I do know that if you choose to live in or near Greensboro, the northwest (towards Oak Ridge and Summerfield) and western part of the city is generally considered the safest area while the east side is pretty crime-ridden (unless things have changed). Most major events like concerts and things of that nature that come to the Triad are held at the Greensboro Coliseum. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Old 02-26-2016, 10:28 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,528,395 times
Quote:
Asheville itself is a huge tourist area, high end neighborhoods are a result of the influx of wealthy retirees over the years.

You may want to look into areas within a 25 mile commuting radius of Asheville, depending on your employment needs. Towns like Weaverville, Hendersonville, Waynesville, Mills River, Arden, Fletcher, Edneyville. There are several nice family oriented areas here in the mountains.

And yes, the Triad may be a lot more suitable for employment according to what your needs and price range for housing are. All great areas, excellent healthcare in the Triad and Charlotte (probably the most crowded population). (I love Clemmons, and Advance, outside of W/Salem) ... very cute towns ... nice real estate selection. Everything is a trade-off.
Clemmons and Advance are quite popular and family-friendly communities. But be aware that Advance is in a different county (Davie) from W-S and Clemmons, so schools are a different district. Also Advance isn't a traditional town with a defined downtown. It's more of a crossroads with a lot of residential developments and some retail. It has seen a lot of growth over the years. Mocksville is the county seat in Davie County and has a nice (small town) downtown. It ought to be on your radar if you decide to consider the greater Winston-Salem area.

As QC said, Asheville's economy is primarily based on tourism, with healthcare probably second. The overall low wages is definitely due to the tourism-based economy. Also supply and demand... because so many young people want to live there, employers don't have to pay as much to attract employees. We see much of the same thing in the area where I live - Boone/Banner Elk/Blowing Rock.

Old 02-26-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:

Thanks a lot ! I did notice Asheville was a very tourist area, which is also why I have it on the back burner but not my first choice since I live in a tourist area right now and it does not please me much.
your idea to be in a 25miles radius is not a bad idea, I would have to look into these cities. I just want to make sure my husband will be able to find a job without having to drive 1hour plus from where we live.
which is why I thought the triad would be best We drove by charlotte and it was way too crowded for me.
I was def putting clemmons on my top list to go check out.

Old 02-26-2016, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Try not to take it personal, OP. He's usually snarky towards almost anybody that asks about moving to NC, especially if it involves the Triangle region. That being said, your first post was a little vague. I agree that the Triad would probably be a good fit, since the cost of living is cheaper than the Triangle and employment opportunities are better than they are in Asheville. Unfortunately, I can't help you much beyond that. My knowledge of the Triad and Triangle is pretty limited since I've only been to those two regions a handful number of times over the years (I grew up in eastern NC). I do know that if you choose to live in or near Greensboro, the northwest (towards Oak Ridge and Summerfield) and western part of the city is generally considered the safest area while the east side is pretty crime-ridden (unless things have changed). Most major events like concerts and things of that nature that come to the Triad are held at the Greensboro Coliseum. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Thanks , I do realize my post was a bit vague, I just do not want to offend anyone I have been all over Europe but when it comes to the US only NC and FL unfortunately. I want to make sure i'm getting inform and checking out places before moving, and usually opinions from people living there is the best kind of info

I have heard the same thing about Greensboro, to stick to the northwest and west parts of it.

thanks, every bit of info helps !

Old 02-26-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
Clemmons and Advance are quite popular and family-friendly communities. But be aware that Advance is in a different county (Davie) from W-S and Clemmons, so schools are a different district. Also Advance isn't a traditional town with a defined downtown. It's more of a crossroads with a lot of residential developments and some retail. It has seen a lot of growth over the years. Mocksville is the county seat in Davie County and has a nice (small town) downtown. It ought to be on your radar if you decide to consider the greater Winston-Salem area.

As QC said, Asheville's economy is primarily based on tourism, with healthcare probably second. The overall low wages is definitely due to the tourism-based economy. Also supply and demand... because so many young people want to live there, employers don't have to pay as much to attract employees. We see much of the same thing in the area where I live - Boone/Banner Elk/Blowing Rock.
Thank you, i will check out Advance, and Mocksville.

I was actually considering Boone as I saw lots of nice houses and decent prices, but it is a rather small town isnt it ? I believe I drove around the area, cant remember if I actually got into Boone. But I think my husband thought it was too small of a town for him. If you dont mind me asking, how is it around boone area when it comes to healthcare jobs ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina