Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2015, 11:03 AM

7 posts, read 7,660 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm a soon-to-be single again lifetime New Yorker. However, I am the native NYer who has been the square peg in the round hole. I abhor the arrogant, jaded, money-driven, eat or be eater superiority attitude. In fact, I've been waiting decades to make my escape once all my family (and guilt) obligations were fulfilled. For every one reason to live in NYC, I can think of 5 not to. The city has taken its pound of flesh.

I'm 59, look 49 and feel as fit as 39. I'm self-employed, but cautiously feel like I should be within commuting range if I need to find a job. Love the outdoors, especially hiking and kayaking. Like cultural events too and I am a bit of a foodie. But I certainly do not take full advantage of NYC's overwhelming number of activities, preferring to stay in most nights to read a good book. So I know I have to get out to meet people, but I'm not a social butterfly looking for 100 new friends. Dating will be important, but I'd rather wade in than plunge. I am looking for a kinder, gentler and smaller place so I am considering greater Raleigh area (or possibly Charlotte). I don't know either, but have read pros and cons of both. I'm fully aware that one makes one's own environment. Thank you all in advance for your helpful comments/advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 12:51 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,578,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nextlife77 View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm a soon-to-be single again lifetime New Yorker. However, I am the native NYer who has been the square peg in the round hole. I abhor the arrogant, jaded, money-driven, eat or be eater superiority attitude. In fact, I've been waiting decades to make my escape once all my family (and guilt) obligations were fulfilled. For every one reason to live in NYC, I can think of 5 not to. The city has taken its pound of flesh.

I'm 59, look 49 and feel as fit as 39. I'm self-employed, but cautiously feel like I should be within commuting range if I need to find a job. Love the outdoors, especially hiking and kayaking. Like cultural events too and I am a bit of a foodie. But I certainly do not take full advantage of NYC's overwhelming number of activities, preferring to stay in most nights to read a good book. So I know I have to get out to meet people, but I'm not a social butterfly looking for 100 new friends. Dating will be important, but I'd rather wade in than plunge. I am looking for a kinder, gentler and smaller place so I am considering greater Raleigh area (or possibly Charlotte). I don't know either, but have read pros and cons of both. I'm fully aware that one makes one's own environment. Thank you all in advance for your helpful comments/advice.
What exactly are you asking?

Old 12-15-2015, 12:57 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,391,614 times
Based on your post, the only advise I can offer is to read through the many existing posts asking similar questions on the Charlotte and Raleigh boards, and come down and visit the areas in person to see what you think. It may not be what you're expecting.

Old 12-15-2015, 01:04 PM

703 posts, read 781,617 times
From what you've described, Raleigh (or the greater "Triangle" - Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area) would seem to be a good fit for you. There are enough transplants here that it's fairly easy to make social acquaintances and not feel like you're encroaching on a long history of relationships amongst others. That's to say that folks seem to be pretty welcoming to newcomers into their social circles as many have only been here a few years.

The weather makes it great for active folks who like the outdoors. The Triangle has a number of lakes that are terrific for kayaking and other water-related activities. It also has some very nice state parks, with a national forest (Uwharrie) less than 90 minutes away. Hiking and camping are huge activities in the area. Great beaches are as close as 2 hours away.

It's definitely a slower pace here than NYC, but there are enough cultural, dining, nightlife, and recreational venues to give you plenty of choices. It's definitely not the big-city feel of much of the northeast. But it's big enough to feel like a legitimate metropolitan area if only in it's horizontal sprawl. There's not the skyscrapers or skyline or dense urban housing normally associated with metro areas - which, admittedly, is a bit different for those of us from the northeast.

It's very difficult to get a real feel for this area without visiting it though. You should probably plan a trip to the area before going much further, just to be sure it truly has the feel that you're looking for.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:16 AM

7 posts, read 7,660 times
Thanks for the insights. I was planning on a trip in a few months to have a look around. Your reply was helpful.

Old 12-17-2015, 12:57 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,542,413 times
I would suggest Eugene, OR. Perfect college town. Lots of educated people, very little traffic, close to Bend and all outdoors. 2 hrs from Portland, reasonable house/condo prices. Weather is close to RTP, but warmer in the Winter and no humidity in the Summer. It does not rain from Mid April until Mid October.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina