Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 03:45 PM

5,509 posts, read 7,102,385 times

Advertisements

Well I don't agree RaleighRob or you for that matter.

My motivation for moving south is absolutley none of your business!

Old 11-11-2006, 04:42 PM

233 posts, read 906,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz Ann View Post
Gotta' agree with Raleigh Rob. NY Tom may need to be looking elsewhere than the southland because he will have an awful time adjusting to the "backwards" areas. What is his motivation for moving south anyways? To cash out of high dollar area and go to a perceived low dollar area where to be a big frog in a smaller pond. So many find out it doesn't work. 5% appreciation on a $1 million home in NuYawk is a lot more than 5% on a $500K home in Dixie, and everything else is relevant as well. Others before him have tried it, were disappointed, and returned to NY. Tennessee might suit him, or northeast Georgia. Lots of NY'ers and FL people moving to TN and GA. More land available over there.

NuYawk - That's funny! I cannot pronounce it any other way. -Probably can, but it doesn't sound natural.

I do not think having an RV is a big deal. I think the concern should be neighborhood upkeep, crime, taxes, and overall comfortability.

I think a good example of an affluent neighborhood, mixed with high crime is in DC. Basically, you can have an expensive home, but around the corner someone's waiting to attack you. -I wouldn't want to relocate to some place like that.

Old 11-11-2006, 07:58 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,332,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
Well I don't agree RaleighRob or you for that matter.

My motivation for moving south is absolutley none of your business!
It is our business since you decided to post your question in a public forum. Liz Ann was asking to get a little more insight on your question to give you a more informed answer. Next time you decide to get testy, don't post and then you wont get offended. Got it?

Old 11-11-2006, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noljos View Post
It is our business since you decided to post your question in a public forum. Liz Ann was asking to get a little more insight on your question to give you a more informed answer. Next time you decide to get testy, don't post and then you wont get offended. Got it?
Asking to get a little more insight???????

Or concluding for herself what my motivations are for coming down South "to be a big frog in a small pond"

Anyone who puts thier two cents in when they don't know what their talking about is going to make me testy. Got it??????

Old 11-11-2006, 08:57 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,332,593 times
True, but what is your reason?

Old 11-11-2006, 09:53 PM

Forget it!

I got the info I needed from some of the kind souls on here.

I didn't post this to be flamed by certain presumptuos people, so lets call it a day already.

And just for the record LovesMountains... I'm no bigot!

Old 11-12-2006, 07:32 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Forget it!

I got the info I needed from some of the kind souls on here.

I didn't post this to be flamed by certain presumptuos people, so lets call it a day already.

And just for the record LovesMountains... I'm no bigot!
Actually Tom, I didn't call you a bigot. I said your post came off looking condesending and arrogant. The sad thing for me when I read it was that I knew you didn't even realize that's how it would come off looking to people. You are probably a really nice guy and I am not trying to pick on you or insult you. But maybe if you reread your own post and just tried to see it the way others not in your financial bracket might see it, you would get why some people took offense. And I did give you my best advice on locations by the way

Old 11-12-2006, 10:10 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,753,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz Ann View Post
Still don't see where anyone whether from NY or anywhere with a high and mighty attitude standing on his/her wallet, is going to "adjust" to the laid back, gentle, soft spoken, low income lifestyle in the southland, nevermind an "affluent" one. Wanting to stay behind gates and such so you don't see the "trash" is not going to happen in the south baby. Try the Poconos or the Catskills, or the Rockies for high end affluent communities. Beautiful areas.
While you may have your opinion on NYTom's post, you can't be serious about NC not having affluent, gated, communities filled with "high and mighty attitude". C'mon LizAnn, you were a realtor! South Charlotte? Ballantyne(not as wealthy, but plenty of attitude!)??

Old 11-12-2006, 11:20 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,753,814 times
Quote:
I want an upscale, affluent area that is bordered by other nice areas. ( I don't want to drive out of my town and directly into a bad area.)

Appreciate your feedback as always.

Peace, Tom

In Northern NJ and NYC, you don't get the rural mix that we do here in NC. You do see it in Southern NJ, but it's not common in most parts of the state. You're definitely not going to own high end real estate and then walk out of your neighborhood to find a trailer park. You could easily, however, live in a beautiful community with a nice piece of property and drive into the next town over finding run down homes and high crime.

I'm not presuming to know where NYTom is coming from, but that's how I personally took his post. Just an opinion!

Old 11-12-2006, 11:24 AM

17 posts, read 162,711 times
No, Raleigh Rob, I think so too. Elitist all the way. Wow.

NCBF
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina