Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 08:44 AM

1,100 posts, read 3,011,518 times

Advertisements

We are a former New Yorker & current Floridian resident. We are thinking of moving to NC. (beautiful state, less expensive, better way of life)

We are in our late 30's. Our children are 7 and 17 months. What areas should we stay clear of?

Thanks!
mom2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2006, 10:02 AM

1,502 posts, read 4,083,627 times
What type of certain things are you trying to avoid?

Old 05-11-2006, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native
What type of certain things are you trying to avoid?
Good question. LOL! I should have re worded it and asked which areas are the best for a family with young children.

Old 05-11-2006, 03:29 PM

As much as I talk about the overcrowding of the Lake Norman area, it does offer quite a bit of family activities. Id stay out of Charlotte and Mecklenburg county all together. Theres alot to do there, but taxes are on their way up. Personally, I liked growing up in my house with lots of land to run around in. Charlotte wasnt too far away and you could drive there if you really needed something. Carowinds is a major theme park, like Kings Dominion is, and has lots to do, roller coasters, water parks, etc. Just dont visit on a weekend, go on a week day when the crowds are thinner.

People moving here apparently like living in big houses on very small pieces of land. I wouldve hated that growing up, but I guess that is what they are used to and theyve brought that lifestyle here.

Try to live no further south than Troutman in Iredell county. Its a good enough distance from Charlotte and seemingly for now out of the grasp of the suburbs.

You can pretty much forget living in Union county, which is east of Charlotte. That area is insane with growth, traffic is terrible.

Stay out of a 25-30 mile radius of Charlotte in either direction, you will be within driving distance of what you need but out of the overcrowding so many areas are now experiencing.

Old 05-11-2006, 03:34 PM

On a different note, Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson, are nice towns, but as Ive endlessly stated they are becoming overcrowded. If you dont mind that, and like to live near other transplants, you will enjoy life there.

These cities have property values and home prices that are getting beyond reasonable. But what may seem expensive to me may be cheap to you.

Old 05-11-2006, 05:58 PM

4 posts, read 13,891 times
I'm also moving from South Florida.. What does anyone know about Albemarle?

Old 05-11-2006, 06:15 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,587,046 times
It all depends on what kind of lifestyle you are seeking and what kind of lifestyle you are looking for. Do you want to live in a rural area out in the country, a small town somwhere, a small city or decent sized city like Raleigh, Charlotte or Greensboro (the latter, fyi, is properly pronounced Grians-barra. The only major city I'd tell you to definitly stay away from would be Durham. That area has high crime, high racial tension, and high gang activity.

Old 05-12-2006, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
It all depends on what kind of lifestyle you are seeking and what kind of lifestyle you are looking for. Do you want to live in a rural area out in the country, a small town somwhere, a small city or decent sized city like Raleigh, Charlotte or Greensboro (the latter, fyi, is properly pronounced Grians-barra. The only major city I'd tell you to definitly stay away from would be Durham. That area has high crime, high racial tension, and high gang activity.
I'd say a decent size city. Which areas are the ones former northerners flock to?

Old 05-12-2006, 06:29 AM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,041,148 times
Default Albemarle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPridgen
I'm also moving from South Florida.. What does anyone know about Albemarle?
Home of Kellie Pickler from American Idol.

That's about all I know - it's not a very big town, and probably not too many job opportunites there. Closest big city would be Charlotte, but not close enough to commute.

Old 05-12-2006, 12:47 PM

16 posts, read 60,178 times
Depending on what you want to do for work, a lot of the high-tech jobs are located in Research Triangle Park. The cities closest to that are Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill.

Chapel Hill is a bit pricy but is supposed to be very nice.

Durham - most likely, just stay away.

Raleigh is a busy place, and a lot of northerners seem to be interested in staying there or in suburbs such as Cary and Apex. That's where we're looking, anyway , and what we've been able to find a lot of information on. Those areas are known for having lots of northeners relocate to, and Wake county schools are supposed to be very good (though they bus the kids all over the place).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina