Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 11:50 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,192,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
ACC basketball is so important to to the Triangle that WRAL listed it as one of the main reasons they left CBS for NBC this year. CBS was no longer going to allow them to pre-empt for ACC sports. I can't imagine what they make off selling spots in those games.

The only annoying thing to me is that a few years ago, Raycom and the ACC decided to start noon football games at 12:30 so they could air a commentary show first. It screws over the start of the network game that usually starts at 3:30 - SEC (CBS), Notre Dame (NBC) or ESPN's broadcast pick on ABC.

Years ago it was NBC that was the least tolerant of schedule interruptions by affiliates. In Charlotte, the NBC station (WCNC, owned by TEGNA) is the only station out of the three with late night network programming that doesn't push back their Friday night talk shows for high school football programming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 08:07 PM

378 posts, read 247,577 times
I don't think that ACC games were ever played when NBC had Must See TV in the 80s and 90s. Wednesdays were the trouble spot for years, going way back to the 1950s.
if you had cable could you get the Charlotte channels? if so, could you let's say watch St. Elsewhere on WCNC(the NBC Charlotte station) or Knots Landing on WSPA(the Spartanburg CBS station)?

Old 10-19-2016, 09:01 AM

The SEC had the same issue until ESPN started their network. The Kentucky stations had the same issue whether to show Knots Landing or a Kentucky game too, which is why KL was switched to Thursdays. China Beach was also sometimes impacted too by basketball in some markets too.

Old 10-19-2016, 10:27 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,497,446 times
This happens to be a college basketball market. The ACC is one of the best conferences in college basketball. It's big time here in this region. Not showing the games on network television would be a dumb idea in my opinion. With the local network stations having a bunch of sub stations, I wouldn't doubt they don't start using those sub stations in the future to broadcast local sports while having the main station used solely for network shows. It would make a lot of sense, especially for cord cutters who are sports fans. You're still going to have some games played on ESPN and its sub channels, but I think everybody should be able to watch college basketball whether if they have cable or not.

Old 10-19-2016, 10:02 PM

The same thing occurs with the NFL...
WSPA-7 was the *only* station in North Carolina not to carry the Washington Redskins...they'd show the Atlanta Falcons, unless they were having a bad season, then they'd show the national game. WYFF-4 would show the Dolphins sometimes instead of the national game...one time, the Dolphins were kicking the other team's ass so bad, that NBC switched to the Chargers-Chiefs game after halftime. WYFF-4's switchboard got many complaints about NBC doing that!

Old 10-19-2016, 10:57 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,607,327 times
The way the NFL decides where to air which game is bizarre to me. Usually CBS airs a different game in Raleigh/Durham than they do on the Greenville/New Bern affiliate. I'm not sure what population demographics are driving that. Jacksonville is in our market and has a transient military population but they're from literally all over the country.

An aside, not related to television but still to sports markets: I've seen Tennessee Titans merchandise in the Boone Harris-Teeter. H-T does not even have stores in TN and Boone is Panthers territory, if not Pittsburgh. That was an odd one.

Old 10-20-2016, 12:30 AM

WYFF-4 did move a Clemson game once to WSPA-7 while NBC was carrying an AFC playoff game that WYFF couldn't preempt.

Old 10-20-2016, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
The way the NFL decides where to air which game is bizarre to me. Usually CBS airs a different game in Raleigh/Durham than they do on the Greenville/New Bern affiliate. I'm not sure what population demographics are driving that. Jacksonville is in our market and has a transient military population but they're from literally all over the country.

An aside, not related to television but still to sports markets: I've seen Tennessee Titans merchandise in the Boone Harris-Teeter. H-T does not even have stores in TN and Boone is Panthers territory, if not Pittsburgh. That was an odd one.
We got the Falcons/Seahawks game on WHNS-21 instead of the Packers-Cowboys game. That shows how way the NFL decides where to air which game is bizarre to me too. Maybe it was because the Panthers game was on before the Falcons game was.

Old 10-20-2016, 10:10 AM

23,815 posts, read 34,762,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danderson400 View Post
The same thing occurs with the NFL...
WSPA-7 was the *only* station in North Carolina not to carry the Washington Redskins...they'd show the Atlanta Falcons, unless they were having a bad season, then they'd show the national game. WYFF-4 would show the Dolphins sometimes instead of the national game...one time, the Dolphins were kicking the other team's ass so bad, that NBC switched to the Chargers-Chiefs game after halftime. WYFF-4's switchboard got many complaints about NBC doing that!
WSPA is in Spartanburg. Last time I checked, Spartanburg is still in South Carolina.

Old 10-20-2016, 10:34 AM

What i meant to say is that WSPA-7 was the *only* station in North or South Carolina that didn't carry the Redskins back in the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina