Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 06:20 PM

6,414 posts, read 5,547,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Why?
As I said before; shuffling jobs from higher paying states to lower paying states has only hurt this country as a whole in the long run for the past several decades.

I'd rather see NC create jobs by encouraging innovation, entrepreneurship, and education. Not by being a discount on the more expensive Northeast market. Not only does that mean that chances are a lot of the jobs here will go to people who will be moving to keep their jobs....but it also means people in NJ who don't want to leave their homes or families will now lose their jobs. Not really what I'd call "progress"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 06:53 PM

37,928 posts, read 42,181,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
As I said before; shuffling jobs from higher paying states to lower paying states has only hurt this country as a whole in the long run for the past several decades.

I'd rather see NC create jobs by encouraging innovation, entrepreneurship, and education. Not by being a discount on the more expensive Northeast market. Not only does that mean that chances are a lot of the jobs here will go to people who will be moving to keep their jobs....but it also means people in NJ who don't want to leave their homes or families will now lose their jobs. Not really what I'd call "progress"
I gotcha and I largely agree. For me, it's the incentives I have the issue with first and foremost. NC has historically been more strategic about the use of such than other Southern states.

But it looks like MB has chosen the A: Sources say Montvale-based Mercedes headed to Atlanta - Business - NorthJersey.com

Old 01-06-2015, 12:12 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,923,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
In what regard? Last time I checked, the Triangle is in NC. What this topic is about.

If they are, it only points out that Hartsfield and it's self proclamation of busiest in world, is irrelevant in the matter. The Germans are no doubt looking at flights to Germany, not how many people are riding through on Delta's hub.
Atlanta is considered a stronger contender for the relocation because of its airport, the busiest in the world, according to several commercial real estate brokers. Since Mercedes is based in Germany, it needs access to easy international flights. Hartfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport offers more global flights than any single airport in North America, Boyd said - though not more than all three New York-area airports combined.

This statement came from northjersey.com website so the airport has a lot to do with it

Last edited by Staysean23; 01-06-2015 at 12:40 PM..

Old 01-06-2015, 12:16 PM

6,171 posts, read 7,270,779 times
I think Atlanta is getting this. Its already been reported as Atlanta being the "frontrunner". NC seems to be the back up plan at this point.

Old 01-06-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I think Atlanta is getting this. Its already been reported as Atlanta being the "frontrunner". NC seems to be the back up plan at this point.
It's already a done deal: Mercedes-Benz to invest $100M in Atlanta headquarters - Atlanta Business Chronicle

Old 01-06-2015, 03:35 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,447,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Why is not so hard for nc to land a auto plant. Was it the inventives or because of Atlanta's airport. I know Charlotte and Raleigh are just as attractive as Atlanta. Just bothers me a little bit and I know both cities are making huge strides at getting corporate relocations. Metlife, seal air, and I know there are more but I'm currently at work. I just fill like Charlotte in particular will always get over looked because were so close to Atlanta. Will this always be the case with North Carolinas two larget metros vs Atlanta

Old 01-06-2015, 05:25 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,526,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choloboy36 View Post
Why is not so hard for nc to land a auto plant. Was it the inventives or because of Atlanta's airport. I know Charlotte and Raleigh are just as attractive as Atlanta. Just bothers me a little bit and I know both cities are making huge strides at getting corporate relocations. Metlife, seal air, and I know there are more but I'm currently at work. I just fill like Charlotte in particular will always get over looked because were so close to Atlanta. Will this always be the case with North Carolinas two larget metros vs Atlanta
Atlanta is a beast son! End of story. Sucks for us

Old 01-06-2015, 06:08 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,447,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Atlanta is a beast son! End of story. Sucks for us
Can I have more educational response from you. We always go at each others throats sometimes but I was really praying that Raleigh got it. What is it. Are both metros still not attractive enough to get auto makers. Hell Charlotte is a beast when it comes to banking and energy and Raleigh is bacially the silicon valley on the east coast. Both have very intelligent people and on lists for almost everything. So what gives everyone? What more money out of ga....closer to operations..... A busy airport?

Old 01-06-2015, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Atlanta has a couple of factors working for it over the Triangle when it came to landing Mercedes-Benz:

1) Direct flights to Germany
2) Proximity to ports that handle a great deal of automobile imports and exports (Brunswick, Jacksonville, Savannah )
3) Proximity to the Vance, AL manufacturing facility

Now if BMW starts looking to relocate from Jersey, Charlotte would have a significant chance of landing that HQ since it has direct flights to Germany and isn't far from the plant in Greer, SC.

Old 01-06-2015, 06:17 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,526,157 times
Quote:
Can I have more educational response from you. We always go at each others throats sometimes but I was really praying that Raleigh got it. What is it. Are both metros still not attractive enough to get auto makers. Hell Charlotte is a beast when it comes to banking and energy and Raleigh is bacially the silicon valley on the east coast. Both have very intelligent people and on lists for almost everything. So what gives everyone? What more money out of ga....closer to operations..... A busy airport?
Atlanta is as the CEO of Mercedes Benz said a "Premier City". Most would agree a "World Class City. Raleigh and Charlotte aren't. At least not yet. That's hard to overcome. As I said before Atlanta is a beast son. It's as simple as that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina